Potential JB successors | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
fa.jpg

I mean, c'mon ...
Shucks.

You need a college degree.
Even though Carmelo Anthony left Syracuse early to join the NBA, he eventually earned his degree. He made a promise to his mother that he would get a college degree and he stuck with that promise.

Forgot all about him. Coaching Texas A&M basketball is almost as good as the witness protection program.
Hes a TX guy and they pay well.

Most of those guy I wouldn't want. We need to recruit. I would consider Kyle Neptune if he keeps doing well. Fordham is having easily its 2nd best season since 2006-07.

Ages and a little more background:

John Beilein Grew up in Lockport. Wheeling (WV) grad. 69
Brad Underwood Grew up in Kansas. Kansas State grad (Hartman). 58
Fran McCaffrey Philly guy, went to UPenn. 62
Dana Altman Grew up in Kansas. Eastern NM grad. 63
Shaka Smart Wisconsin native. Kenyon College grad. 44
Anthony Grant Grew up in Miami Dayton grad. 55
Ed Cooley Grew up in Providence. Stonehill grad. 52
Kevin Willard Born on LI but grew up in Kentucky (HS). 46
Greg McDermott Grew up in Iowa. Northern Iowa grad. 57
Mike Boynton Born & grew up in Brooklyn. South Carolina grad. 40
Travis Steele Grew up in Indiana. Butler grad. 40
Wes Miller Grew up in NC. UNC grad. 39
Steve Pikiell Grew up in Bristol, Connecticut. UConn grad. 54
Ryan Odom Grew up in NC. Hampden-Sydney grad (son of Dave Odom). 47
Mark Pope Born in Nebraska but HS in Bellevue, WA. UW/Kentucky grad 49
Porter Moser Grew up in Illinois, Creighton grad. 53
Johnny Dawkins Grew up in DC (LoMo's alma mater) . Duke Grad. 58
Tommy Amaker Grew up Northern VA. Duke grad. 56
Bobby Hurley Grew up in Jersey City, NJ. Duke grad. 50
Frank Martin Grew up in Miami. FIU grad. 55

Some thoughts:

Not many on your list with a background from the Northeast. A lot of coaches from the Midwest.

You had a bunch of Dukies but didn't include Greg Paulus, who is probably the best fit of the bunch.

I wouldn't want to hire someone more than 50 unless there were some strong extenuating circumstances. All things being equal I would prefer a coach known for an exciting playing style and a high scoring offense. I think they is what the fan base craves and would draw the biggest crowds/drive the most excitement.

I don't think JW is going after anyone on your list. I think he targets someone like Billy Donovan. A relatively big name with some ties to the East and the right type of personality to restore excitement to Syracuse basketball. I continue to think John is going to land a big name. I bet he at least tries really hard to make this happen.
I always thought Billy Donovan would be a good fit for Cuse if he chose to return to college coaching. But I know he hates all the BS that comes with recruiting. And he’s not just a “relatively big name.” Him and Brad Stevens are just about biggest fish you could get, outside of Few or Wright.

If JB were to leave after this season (I don’t think that’s happening), I’d fully support hiring Beilein. Again, does he want to get back into college coaching? I really don’t know who we’d be able to land. I’d love to see Wildhack back up the brinks truck and land a Donovan, Stevens, Nate Oats or Eric Musselman. I forgot to put those last two on the list. Also, I love Buzz Williams, but I don’t know if he leaves Texas A&M since he’s from that area.

Last edited:
I'd love Boynton.
We really should keep an eye on him the next couple of years. He’s an up and comer. Oklahoma State has serious limitations, especially with recruiting, and he’s done a nice job there.

Not a bad list for the OP until I read Kevin Willard on there. The guy has won absolutely nothing and underachieving once again. I would take every one of our assistants and Mike Hopkins over him.
True! That’s why I Lol-ed it. I included him because of his Northeast ties and Jersey/NYC recruiting connections, and he’s getting serious consideration for the Maryland job.

I hope Jason Hart gets a good look. Has a ton of NBA experience. Experience recruiting top national talent at USC. Now coaching NBA talent at G League Ignite.
I think he would be a great national recruiter at Syracuse. Reading some articles on him he would definitely take the job.

I hope Jason Hart gets a good look. Has a ton of NBA experience. Experience recruiting top national talent at USC. Now coaching NBA talent at G League Ignite.
I think he would be a great national recruiter at Syracuse. Reading some articles on him he would definitely take the job.
He just started with the G League though. Let’s see how he does. He was USC’s top assistant for the past 7-8 years and pulled in some big recruits, but LA is an incredibly fertile recruiting area.

Here’s my coaching wish list:

Brad Stevens as HC. Sure he left college because he grew tired of recruiting and turned down a Godfather offer from Indiana last year, but I am sure he’s got the itch to return to college.

At lead assistant, let’s bring in Monty Williams from the Suns. They have been one of the leading defensive teams in the NBA the last couple of years, so he could handle that side of the court.

That leaves us a little lacking on O, so I would give Mike D’Antoni a call. He knows how to build offensive attacks. He is getting up there in age, so if by some chance he turns the offer down (which is a very slim possibility), then you go to one of his protégés: Steve Nash. He wanted to play collegiately at Syracuse so that’s a layup.

There’s one assistant spot left. I would tab current Knicks and former UK assistant Kenny Payne to spearhead our recruiting efforts.

I’ve also thought about the director of basketball operations position . Here’s a name that might seem out of left field: William Wesley, colloquially known as “Worldwide Wes.” He has a lot of connections in the recruiting world, and I am sure he would be a valuable contributor in those efforts.

Now you have a coaching staff.

I always thought Billy Donovan would be a good fit for Cuse if he chose to return to college coaching. But I know he hates all the BS that comes with recruiting. And he’s not just a “relatively big name.” Him and Brad Stevens are just about biggest fish you could get, outside of Few or Wright.

If JB were to leave after this season (I don’t think that’s happening), I’d fully support hiring Beilein. Again, does he want to get back into college coaching? I really don’t know who we’d be able to land. I’d love to see Wildhack back up the brinks truck and land a Donovan, Stevens, Nate Oats or Eric Musselman. I forgot to put those last two on the list. Also, I love Buzz Williams, but I don’t know if he leaves Texas A&M since he’s from that area.
Donovan hates re recruiting and will never go back to college coaching.

Based on this thread, there will be a lot of unhappy bunnies when Gmac is announced as the next head coach.

How about someone under 50yrs Old
and a Coach who will hire a assistant who has played
Center. A Big man Coach

Last edited:
Brad Stevens is interesting if he wants to coach college again.
Highly doubt it happens but would love that. He’d win a few championships here. That being said the chances of that happening are probably less than 1% lol

Status
Not open for further replies.