Class of 2015 - Potential New Name at CB/S Ronnie Hoggins Jr | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Potential New Name at CB/S Ronnie Hoggins Jr

Jarrod West is a pretty good receiver. Many here thought the loss of Ashton greatly impacted our season, so I would think he must be pretty good as well?

I just don't see it with West. He was the best of our crop, but I am not sure we had an ACC level starting WR this year.

I think it would be hard to say with certainty given how the Hackett/Marrone offense was (RB/play action focus) and the lack of development from Ashton that he would stay at WR. Given Hogue moved after getting caught in a logjam/not developing, I do wonder if he would have been moved to TE or LB with that regime.

The loss of Hunt greatly impacted our season too, but it doesn't mean Hunt would start for most ACC teams. Just means our playable depth at the position just isn't at the level it needed to be. I think that was the case for both WR and QB (incidentally, I think our talent at every other position is ACC quality with OL and CB being close)

I just don't see it with West. He was the best of our crop, but I am not sure we had an ACC level starting WR this year.

I think it would be hard to say with certainty given how the Hackett/Marrone offense was (RB/play action focus) and the lack of development from Ashton that he would stay at WR. Given Hogue moved after getting caught in a logjam/not developing, I do wonder if he would have been moved to TE or LB with that regime.

The loss of Hunt greatly impacted our season too, but it doesn't mean Hunt would start for most ACC teams. Just means our playable depth at the position just isn't at the level it needed to be. I think that was the case for both WR and QB (incidentally, I think our talent at every other position is ACC quality with OL and CB being close)

I don't know West had a pretty good Sophomore season under Marrone. He seemed poise for a great career. Maybe it was the way he was used, or the plays being called? That's also why I don't think you can blame Marrone's recruiting for the failures of this team. The offensive guys were brought in for an entirely different scheme. You can't knock the previous guy for trying to fit a square piece into a round hole.

I don't know West had a pretty good Sophomore season under Marrone. He seemed poise for a great career. Maybe it was the way he was used, or the plays being called? That's also why I don't think you can blame Marrone's recruiting for the failures of this team. The offensive guys were brought in for an entirely different scheme. You can't knock the previous guy for trying to fit a square piece into a round hole.

I think Marrone's recruiting would have taken off if he stayed judging by the class he had coming in. I am not in the group that thinks Marrone couldn't recruit overall.

I just don't think Marrone had shown an ability yet to recruit QB or WR. His/Hackett's scheme didn't place a value on WR, so I can understand that struggling. Maybe West was a better fit for that scheme as a deep ball guy (since he showed that ability both during Marrone and in McD's offense).

I think Marrone's recruiting would have taken off if he stayed judging by the class he had coming in. I am not in the group that thinks Marrone couldn't recruit overall.

I just don't think Marrone had shown an ability yet to recruit QB or WR. His/Hackett's scheme didn't place a value on WR, so I can understand that struggling. Maybe West was a better fit for that scheme as a deep ball guy (since he showed that ability both during Marrone and in McD's offense).

I agree with you. This is pretty much how I feel on the topic.

So there are four Marrone threads since the news yesterday. Can we not clog up Hoggins thread with Marrone nonsense?

The 2 whole pages of talking about musicals, and twitter weren't that much better.

The 2 whole pages of talking about musicals, and twitter weren't that much better.
I didn't say it was, but at least there are plenty of Marrone threads to have those arguments in.

WR's aren't good enough now, not sure how they are better without Ishmael, Custis and Enoicy.

Marrone was a great coach for Syracuse. But, he struggled to recruit 2 positions, WR and QB.

What WR did Marrone recruit that was a ACC level, D-1 WR? I don't count Lemon b/c he was a GRob recruit that Marrone re-recruited.

Could Allen have been good? Sure. Could Allen have been Jonny Miller? Sure.

The wr's are fine it's the Qb play, the OL play and the offensive coaching that's the problem.

Marrone recruited THunt (the player who Shafers bowl game), Austin Wilson and Zach Allen. We obviously will never know what Marrone and Hackett would have done with them.

Jarrod West. Ben Lewis. Alvin Cornelious. Ashton Broyld. Fleming. They can all play at this level but having a Qb and OL and running game might help the case.

Johnny miller had the most god awful hitch in his throw I've ever. Who knows why they even recruited him.

I'm not talking when AAM came in. I'm talking now.

AAM 62 carries 337 yards.
Gus 61 carries 349 yards.

Same player and I'd bet Gus played on a better offense.

Allen would not have started here this year.

Gus is a true sophomore

anomander said:
Recruiting is getting better, but I would not exactly call it a strength. Player development is a big TBD as well. My biggest concern is this staffs ability to game plan.

Fair enough.

But 2 seasons is not enough proof either way on player development. Defensive game planning outside of Clemson and GTech two years ago has been fine.

It's all about Lester and the O staff.

Have you seen him play? Gus Edwards is not a FB.

And how is that any different from you? Are you not stuck on your same points? That everything is fine, and this is all part of the master plan? There are very few, if any, fanbases that would sit back and brush off a 3-9 season and chalk it up as pure bad luck. This just shows how years of ineptitude have neutered a portion of this fanbase. We shouldn't settle for failure, and i'm sorry if I have to be one of those people that make noise about some of the issues we have seen the past 2 years. Hell i'm not even called for Shafer to be fired, but I do think some small changes need to be made, and he should be put on the hot seat. I really don't see the issue with some people taking this stance?
I never said that I was satisfied with the past season, you just like to rant, you have had a habit of telling everyone how wrong they are. This is the only time I will respond to you, Doug left before he completed the job, that he was brought here to do. Scott seems to have a different vision of what this team should be, and I'm willing to give him the chance without blowing a casket. Go back to bothering other people, I've never put anyone on ignore, but your continuous arguments based on your personal opinions, rather then facts is becoming boring.

PhatOrange said:
Gus is a true sophomore

And he'd had been a true soph or rf here.

I never said that I was satisfied with the past season, you just like to rant, you have had a habit of telling everyone how wrong they are. This is the only time I will respond to you, Doug left before he completed the job, that he was brought here to do. Scott seems to have a different vision of what this team should be, and I'm willing to give him the chance without blowing a casket. Go back to bothering other people, I've never put anyone on ignore, but your continuous arguments based on your personal opinions, rather then facts is becoming boring.

This was a pretty bizarre post. I have no idea what the hell you are even talking about, and have a feeling you don't either. What facts are we looking for? There is nothing in the discussion (yes i do refer to talking on a fan message board as a discussion, not arguing) that can be supported by any facts for either side of the discussion. So once you point out all these facts that everyone wants to refer to, then I will stop stating my personal opinion. I do find it strange that some people are so sensitive to other people's point of views, but yet still venture to a fan forum where shockingly there are differening opinions. So you can go ahead and put me on ignore, i won't be offended, you just might want to relax a little bit, and don't take anything personal.

This was a pretty bizarre post. I have no idea what the hell you are even talking about, and have a feeling you don't either. What facts are we looking for? There is nothing in the discussion (yes i do refer to talking on a fan message board as a discussion, not arguing) that can be supported by any facts for either side of the discussion. So once you point out all these facts that everyone wants to refer to, then I will stop stating my personal opinion. I do find it strange that some people are so sensitive to other people's point of views, but yet still venture to a fan forum where shockingly there are differening opinions. So you can go ahead and put me on ignore, i won't be offended, you just might want to relax a little bit, and don't take anything personal.
that was...way gentler than it could have been (and frankly, way gentler than a post like that deserved). Kudos.

So, would Marrone have recruited Ronnie Hoggins, Jr.?! (Trying my best to get the thread back on track!)

I was told this morning that the offers he had at the beginning of the summer may not be committable anymore. He apparently was really high on Texas and Charlie Strong. Apparently a couple of weeks ago, a bunch of schools we're supposedly showing interest, but that appears to be a smokescreen. Looks like this is a case of a prospect trying to gain more interest. I have a coaching friend in florida who has been giving me this information, and now he does not believe a thing he has been hearing. - because it's changing everyday. I think we can all forget about this one.

I was told this morning that the offers he had at the beginning of the summer may not be committable anymore. He apparently was really high on Texas and Charlie Strong. Apparently a couple of weeks ago, a bunch of schools we're supposedly showing interest, but that appears to be a smokescreen. Looks like this is a case of a prospect trying to gain more interest. I have a coaching friend in florida who has been giving me this information, and now he does not believe a thing he has been hearing. - because it's changing everyday. I think we can all forget about this one.

Thanks anyhow J. At leas it gave us something to post about on the recruiting forum while we are waiting for the Dead Period to end.

And how about another great analysis while we are waiting for the next commit.

Last edited:

I wouldn't mind him smokescreening his way into our recruiting class... :noidea: Any idea on what his academics look like?

Thanks anyhow J. At leas it gave us something to post about on the recruiting forum while we are waiting for the Dead Period to end.

And how about another great analysis while we are waiting for the next commit.

Currently driving from Syracuse back to Raleigh. I've been working on the analysis for Eric Dungee, should have it for everybody this weekend.

Ah I ought you had info coming from both ends. Shame.

Although when did we start becoming a school more easily used for getting bigger offers? That's somewhat of a positive in and of itself right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom