Preemptive Bring Back 44 Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Preemptive Bring Back 44 Thread

I wouldn’t hold your breath on 44

Too much money loss for the player and for the university

Can’t see them wanting to split the $$$$
I have to admit, I think your reasoning is valid.
However, to bring back the number, the university - as well as the player - should try to consider that perhaps they would not be dividing up the same pie. But rather dividing a larger pie. The University can still sell 44 jerseys with Brown or Davis or Little on the back. While the upsurge of interest and enthusiasm for a new 44 might significantly boost sales of those jerseys as well is the “new” 44. I don’t see why it should be assumed that sales wouldn’t explode if the right players were wearing the number.

I have to admit, I think your reasoning is valid.
However, to bring back the number, the university - as well as the player - should try to consider that perhaps they would not be dividing up the same pie. But rather dividing a larger pie. The University can still sell 44 jerseys with Brown or Davis or Little on the back. While the upsurge of interest and enthusiasm for a new 44 might significantly boost sales of those jerseys as well is the “new” 44. I don’t see why it should be assumed that sales wouldn’t explode if the right players were wearing the number.
There would be A LOT of marketing opportunities for someone wearing the 44 - it was one of the key identifiers to the program for a very, very long time. I'd have to think the person wearing it would get some marketing opportunities they wouldn't get otherwise. But you could also have a NIL collective specific to the 44. There are creative ways to make it work.

There would be A LOT of marketing opportunities for someone wearing the 44 - it was one of the key identifiers to the program for a very, very long time. I'd have to think the person wearing it would get some marketing opportunities they wouldn't get otherwise. But you could also have a NIL collective specific to the 44. There are creative ways to make it work.
Hell, it's brought up during EVERY SINGLE Cuse football broadcast. Strike while the iron is still relatively warm.

If it’s going to be done there is no better time than now. I honestly don’t know how anyone other than the university got a say in the use of that number. What’s the deal with that?

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but the combination of the University trademark on the 44, and NIL allowing players to make $ on their name and likeness, including jersey and number, make it a legal and logistical nightmare. It's absolutely doable but would require a level of mutual compromise that doesn't exist in 2023.
That's the ironic thing. The University's hold on the number is going to make it irrelevant and kill any opportunity for them to benefit financially from it. Making it available to a worthy player is what will keep it relevant. Stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

This should be pretty easy. Anything '44' with a player's name on it is something they get NIL money from. Any generic '44' without a name is the university's. There would be a market for both. Some people want a player's jersey. Others don't/can't afford to buy the expensive licensed jersey's that often. Those people would be interested in the generic jerseys that remain relevant longer and the generic jerseys could be priced a little lower. Would the university lose a little on the named jerseys? Yep. But how much are they losing now as younger people forget about the number and buy other things?

This should be pretty easy. Anything '44' with a player's name on it is something they get NIL money from. Any generic '44' without a name is the university's. There would be a market for both.
agreed, it’s a great recruiting tool to get 5 star RBs in the door, which gets us more wins, better bowl games, ticket sales… win win for all

What’s Konrads position? I feel like hed have to lead the charge being the last to wear it.

Why did Reyes decline it when offered again? 39 is a nothing number.

Is there anyone associated with the program that still wants the last #44 to remain the last person to wear the number today?

Finger Gun I Will Do It GIF

I'd love for a 30 for 30 on 44 but not sure the story is interesting enough nationally to garner that type of documentary. I think the big issue is not alot of intrigue post Ernie Davis. I think the angle that could work is why it wasn't given to Tucker and if there was something shady going on with the SUAD and the former 44s...who knows.

The subject could be the issues with deciding whther to bring it back. Do young players care? Do they want their own numbers? Do you give it to a high scool kid who has never done anything at the college level? What if you give it to a 4 star this year and you have a chance at a five star next year?

That's why I've always favored offering it to an outstanding senior or at least upperclassman. It should be something to shoot for - and maybe stay for. LaQuint Allen would make a great 44 - unless they held that 'fight' agaisnt him.

Last edited:
The subject could be the issues with deciding whther to bring it back. Do young players care? Do they want their own numbers? Do you give it to a high scool kid who has never done anything at the college level? What if you give it to a 4 star this year and you have a chance at a five star next year?

That's why I've always favored offering it to an outstanding senior or at least upperclassman. It should be something to shoot for - and maybe stay for. LaQuint Allen would make a great 44 - unless they held that 'fight' agaisnt him.
I agree with this. Give it to senior who's earned it on and off the field.

Jim Brown himself didn't want the number unretired. He should have the ultimate say.
So, veto power for someone who assaulted women? Nice messaging.
Pure ego to be against someone else wearing it.