Premier League 2021-2022 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League 2021-2022

I agree that swarming the ball takes energy. That's why I think the high press is less sustainable, because there's more running involved. But pressing in the middle of the field can be very effective, and is the key to their defensive efficiency since Tuchel took over. With rotation, I think it's sustainable, and Chelsea do have a deep squad, legitimately 2 deep at pretty much every position.

I think Jorginho is that metronome at the back. He doesn't quite seem to get his due in England because he can be pressed into errors and turnovers at times, and doesn't seem quite physical enough. But look at what he did for Italy in the Euro Championship. He was stellar.

You might argue that Chelsea lacks that guy who can pick a pass to unlock a defense, but to me that's Mason Mount's role. I would like to see them keep Chalobah and not loan him out, because his main position is that holding midfield role that they are looking longingly at Declan Rice (80M) for. Then there's another 80M that Sevilla want for Kounde, the young defender.

Keep Chalobah, use him in both roles, and save yourself 160M. No brainer.
I should have added that the real key to Liverpool’s title aspirations is having two of the best passing fullbacks in the world on the same team. Passes that can unlock a defense can come from anywhere, but they have to come. Klopp got Silva to take advantage of other teams trying to shut down Robertson and Trent. I was really happy to see Keita play that six role very cleanly... he needs to prove it against better teams and actually stay healthy.

I don’t see it with Mount, Chelsea fans want him to be the next Lampard so badly that they are a blinded by some of his limitations. In my opinion, Pulisic is a much better passer, but he is nowhere near strong enough to play in the middle like Mount does.

Tottenham with the big win over Man City.

City needs a striker.
Huge for Tottenham

Son and Alli probably can carry them this year if they want to move Kane for cash and a player

Huge for Tottenham

Son and Alli probably can carry them this year if they want to move Kane for cash and a player
Carry them right to the middle of the table. They need Kane’s finishing. But they don’t have the depth of the other big clubs, so if they move Kane they need to bring pieces in now. The January transfer window could be too late.

If they move Kane, I could see Son leaving next summer if a big offer comes in.

I should have added that the real key to Liverpool’s title aspirations is having two of the best passing fullbacks in the world on the same team. Passes that can unlock a defense can come from anywhere, but they have to come. Klopp got Silva to take advantage of other teams trying to shut down Robertson and Trent. I was really happy to see Keita play that six role very cleanly... he needs to prove it against better teams and actually stay healthy.

I don’t see it with Mount, Chelsea fans want him to be the next Lampard so badly that they are a blinded by some of his limitations. In my opinion, Pulisic is a much better passer, but he is nowhere near strong enough to play in the middle like Mount does.

I agree - fullback / wingback play is the key to championships. Liverpool has had (and still has ,,,) outstanding backs.

Tottenham did a few years ago, too. (Kyle Walker and Danny Rose, when they were both in their mid-20s).

I'm not sold on what Chelsea have as wingback, not so much because these are not good (excellent) players, but it's about whether they fit the system, and what's being asked of them.

Carry them right to the middle of the table. They need Kane’s finishing. But they don’t have the depth of the other big clubs, so if they move Kane they need to bring pieces in now. The January transfer window could be too late.

If they move Kane, I could see Son leaving next summer if a big offer comes in.

It really pleases me that Spurs and Arse are falling apart. They have always been our biggest rivals. (I've been a fan since 2010.)

As I'm watching a replay of West Ham vs. Newcastle, I am struck (again) by how the Premier League teams, for the most part, have used the big TV money of the last 5 years or so to really build much better rosters than they used to have.

West Ham, Leicester, Everton, Aston Villa. Even Newcastle and Leeds have some legitimate talent.

Wolves need to freshen up, but were right up there among the European places before Raul Jiminez suffered that terrible head injury. We'll see how he bounces back this year.

That's 2/3 of the entire league who field truly competitive teams, and have international quality players throughout their rosters. I don't think the depth of the other Big Five leagues is similar.

And there are far fewer "park the bus" kinds of teams in the league. Most teams try to play football in a pretty attractive way, compared to 10 years ago.

Huge for Tottenham

Carry them to Europa League maybe.

Pogba's stunning 4 assists on opening day in United's rout of a very good Leeds team is one of two things - playing for someone to buy him in the next 2 weeks, or (much better for United fans ...) he means business this season, because he knows he's playing for a free agent contract.

Hazard's last year with Chelsea was his best of the 7, as he knew he was playing to get a deal with Real Madrid. Same with Pogba. If he really applies himself, United could really be a championship contender. But can you really count on Pogba for a full season?

Transfer talk - Harry Kane being completely left out of the squad has pundits saying Levy will sanction the deal to Man City. Price just went up 10M with Spurs' win today. You have to wonder if Levy has any targets in mind, or has been doing any recruitment behind the scenes. If you get 120-130M in the next couple days, you've only got 10 days left to invest it..

Liverpool may be making a couple late moves, if they can get rid of Shaquiri. They are looking at Martin Odegaard, who played on loan from Real Madrid for Arsenal last year. Reportedly they can get him for 40M. Plus they are said to be looking at Saul from Atletico Madrid, who would add some grit and guile to their midfield. Also said to cost around 40M. These would be 2 excellent deals to freshen up Liverpool.

Watching Spurs v. Man City, I'm feeling like the better teams are figuring City out. Force them wide on offense, clog the passing lanes and space in the middle. Without any target men, they have to practically pass the ball into the net each time to score.

The big miss tonight was DeBruyne. He flashes that toughness, he makes creative runs, and he can boom in long shots from outside the box. They are not the same team without him.

Lucas Moura and Delli Alli both looked very good for Spurs. Their work rate was very good. Excellent opening win for Nuno.

If you were Daniel Levy, owner of Spurs, who would you buy with 120M for Harry Kane?

You have to get another striker. They probably need a central defender and another back or a winger.

I would try for Paulo Dyballa of Juve for your replacement striker.

Try for Kalidou Koulibaly, the center back who Napoli have been trying to sell for a big fee for a couple years with no takers so far.

If you can't get him, Chelsea seem to be begging to sell Kurt Zouma, who is proven in the Premier League, and is a legit threat on set pieces.

Finally, I might take a shot at Kingsley Coman, who has fallen out of favor at Bayern.

Pogba's stunning 4 assists on opening day in United's rout of a very good Leeds team is one of two things - playing for someone to buy him in the next 2 weeks, or (much better for United fans ...) he means business this season, because he knows he's playing for a free agent contract.

Hazard's last year with Chelsea was his best of the 7, as he knew he was playing to get a deal with Real Madrid. Same with Pogba. If he really applies himself, United could really be a championship contender. But can you really count on Pogba for a full season?
Bringing Varane in could mean something. He and Pogba have a history and what seems to be a genuine friendship.

But it is still a business. He doesn’t need to sign an extension and could easily walk into any squad next summer.

Watching Spurs v. Man City, I'm feeling like the better teams are figuring City out. Force them wide on offense, clog the passing lanes and space in the middle. Without any target men, they have to practically pass the ball into the net each time to score.

The big miss tonight was DeBruyne. He flashes that toughness, he makes creative runs, and he can boom in long shots from outside the box. They are not the same team without him.

Lucas Moura and Delli Alli both looked very good for Spurs. Their work rate was very good. Excellent opening win for Nuno.
Just to add… DeBruyne has such incredible vision and touch. He can see a space seconds before it develops, and consistently threads a needle with his delivery.

World class.

Feel like his name is thrown out every transfer window.

With big financial problems at the Old Lady, he might be on the block. They have to cut costs somewhere if the $ rumors are true.

Feel like his name is thrown out every transfer window.

With big financial problems at the Old Lady, he might be on the block. They have to cut costs somewhere if the $ rumors are true.

I do think he would fit their style at Spurs, similar to H. Son with his quick darting runs.

I can see Chelsea, City, and Liverpool all hit the 100 point mark this season

There is a large gap between them and the second tier United, Tottenham, Leister, Everton
I am no expert, but Tottenham really seemed to control the flow of the game.

If you were Daniel Levy, owner of Spurs, who would you buy with 120M for Harry Kane?

You have to get another striker. They probably need a central defender and another back or a winger.

Try for Kalidou Koulibaly, the center back who Napoli have been trying to sell for a big fee for a couple years with no takers so far.

If you can't get him, Chelsea seem to be begging to sell Kurt Zouma, who is proven in the Premier League, and is a legit threat on set pieces.

Finally, I might take a shot at Kingsley Coman, who has fallen out of favor at Bayern.
Idk if Spurs can overcome the no trophy reputation... they need one so badly so that players would find it an attractive destination.

Oh Arsenal it’s going to be another long season isn’t it.

Oh Arsenal it’s going to be another long season isn’t it.
Weren't there a lot of mutterings at the end of last year that a decent chunk of the Arsenal squad stopped supporting Arteta, but Arteta couldn't make drastic changes because of some mysterious concerns with the Arsenal board? There seems to be a lot of shady biz going on at Arsenal behind the scenes that the public is not privy to.

At some point Kroenke should sell to some middle eastern country... Arsenal has the potential to be the giant of football with the right owners... they are in a much more glamorous location than the Manchester clubs, they play in a better domestic league than PSG, Real Madrid and Barca. Bayern and Juve are probably the two main competitors.

Sergio Aguero remains unregistered for Barca. He should spurn them and go back to Man City.

Wouldn't be a sexy pick but if Spurs sell they should look at Wout Weghorst from Wolfsburg. Tall (6'6) striker but has really good feet and is a natural goalscorer. I think he would hold up well in england.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom