Premier League 2021-2022 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League 2021-2022

Holy Crap, that is a whole new Chelsea. Having the big physical striker as your focal point, with talented guys swarming around him; talented midfield, excellent defense.

This team reminds me of the kind of squad Chelsea had back in 2010, when I first became a fan. Very talented team, deep bench, capable of playing different ways, capable of imposing their will on the opponent, big and fast and physical.

Four teams can win the title. Chelsea is clearly one of them. Next week against Liverpool is suddenly a HUGE game.

Honestly, there are about ten teams who could make Top 4 (or at least compete for European places), if they got the breaks.

What a season this is going to be!
Man for man, if everyone is healthy I think, other than Lukaku and and Kante, Liverpool
Is better than Chelsea. Chelse will get some chances on the break but I think Liverpool wins 2-1. VVD shuts down lukaku.

Man for man, if everyone is healthy I think, other than Lukaku and and Kante, Liverpool
Is better than Chelsea. Chelse will get some chances on the break but I think Liverpool wins 2-1. VVD shuts down lukaku.
That’s the thing… Big Virgil might shut him down. But that opens space up for others.

Lukaku has evolved as a player since he left United. And he was already good then. Makes Chelsea very dangerous.

Mount, Pulisic, Havertz are playmakers
Exactly. They can get goals from other areas of the pitch beside striker/CF.

Hell, even Reece James running down the right flank has goals in him.

Blues going to be a problem… bloody hell. :mad:

If we consider the 6 (or sometimes 7) spots for Euro League, and that new one they just introduced, then I think you have something like this:

TIER ONE - TITLE CONTENDERS

Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United.

TIER TWO - COULD CRASH TOP FOUR

Leicester City, West Ham (if they sign another striker), Tottenham (if they keep Kane)

TIER THREE - COMPETING FOR EUROPE

Everton (if you keep James Rodriguez into it, and you add another couple players), Aston Villa (need another offensive player - winger or striker), Arsenal has too much talent not to be in the hunt for 6-10th place, Wolves have sold a little too much, but they still have a pretty good team, Leeds and even Newcastle, could compete for the scraps at the end of the European buffet table.

Newcastle has a very underrated roster. Mike Ashley may be the worst owner in sports, but they have put together some pretty good talent if they can stay fit.

Bielsa makes Leeds a wildcard. Has the league figured them out this year? Bamford gives them a quality striker, they have a couple very good midfielders.

I think there are 13 or 14 teams with a balance of offensive and defensive talent, who can truly compete in the Premier League and the Cup competitions, for certain.
Rodriguez won’t be with Everton much longer.

Huge measurement game for Chelsea. Liverpool has Virgil back. Everyone is healthy for the Reds. No excuses for Liverpool; they are at Anfield next Saturday.

Then comes the first international break.

When they get back in September, Chelsea plays Villa (maybe not as good as last year, based on evidence so far ...), then at Spurs and home to Man. City.

Then they have a very easy October. Six games in a row they should expect to win until the November international break.

If Chelsea comes out of these first 2 windows of the regular season near the top after games v. Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and City in the first 7 games, that's really important to their ability to launch a title challenge this season.

Last edited:
Just another match in a farmers league.

Nationalist ultras going to do nationalist ultra things… trash, the whole lot of them.

I don't think Mount is a great playmaker... he's a dude who runs around and occasionally can pick out a pass. Havertz is a playmaker but I don't think he can play with the tempo needed to concern Liverpool. Pulisic is a playmaker and does have the pace but he never gets the ball where he needs it... he is seemingly the only player on the Chelsea team who can create goals like the one he did against Man City in the UCL final last year. I don't think Tuechel trusts Pulisic on the defensive side.

I do think this weekend is a big measuring stick game for both teams... will be fascinating.

What's wrong with Arsenal begins with their recruitment. This year is the worst it's ever been. Some of the people leaving the club are the ones who were the better players. The guys they are signing would be more appropriate for Southhampton, or Everton. Some of these guys they have recently signed, and still want to sign, are just not good enough. Is there an actual soccer fan in charge of Arsenal's recruitment? Because this has been dreadful.

I don't think Mount is a great playmaker... he's a dude who runs around and occasionally can pick out a pass. Havertz is a playmaker but I don't think he can play with the tempo needed to concern Liverpool. Pulisic is a playmaker and does have the pace but he never gets the ball where he needs it... he is seemingly the only player on the Chelsea team who can create goals like the one he did against Man City in the UCL final last year. I don't think Tuechel trusts Pulisic on the defensive side.

I do think this weekend is a big measuring stick game for both teams... will be fascinating.

I'm not the biggest Mount fan in the world, but he's had half a dozen assists in back to back years, and he's about 21 years old. So, right now, he's kind of middle of the pack offensively - like a James Maddison or Jack Grealish kind of player, minus all the fouls with Grealish.

His defensive play, closing down opponents, is one of several keys to Chelsea's league-best defense, in case you haven't been paying attention.

So, you might call that "running around", but it leads to more turnovers and more passes out of bounds, just like players being "active" in the zone in basketball.

West Ham impressive today.

Antonio was a beast. They did some great recruitment these past couple years Coufal and Soucek from central Europe.

Yarmalenko is maybe past his prime, but is a very talented guy to have come off the bench, especially in Europa League. Pablo Fournals is another good one.

Benrama was the best dribbler in the Championship when they bought him. Lampard wanted him at Chelsea.

I hear that Man United is coming back to offer Jesse Lingaard and 40M for Declan Rice. Would you do that deal?

I'm not the biggest Mount fan in the world, but he's had half a dozen assists in back to back years, and he's about 21 years old. So, right now, he's kind of middle of the pack offensively - like a James Maddison or Jack Grealish kind of player, minus all the fouls with Grealish.

His defensive play, closing down opponents, is one of several keys to Chelsea's league-best defense, in case you haven't been paying attention.

So, you might call that "running around", but it leads to more turnovers and more passes out of bounds, just like players being "active" in the zone in basketball.
Agree on Mount causing havoc and disruption of the other team’s offense… but that doesn’t make him a playmaker either. I question whether he can create the same level of disruption against the truly elite teams. We will find out this weekend.

Antonio was a beast. They did some great recruitment these past couple years Coufal and Soucek from central Europe.

Yarmalenko is maybe past his prime, but is a very talented guy to have come off the bench, especially in Europa League. Pablo Fournals is another good one.

Benrama was the best dribbler in the Championship when they bought him. Lampard wanted him at Chelsea.

I hear that Man United is coming back to offer Jesse Lingaard and 40M for Declan Rice. Would you do that deal?
Yes. West Ham should take that deal.

Talking about the transfer window and complaining about other clubs spending $… like he manages a League 1 team with no budget.
This was as of 8/24. Obviously Lukaku and some others have happened since.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210810-121745.png
    Screenshot_20210810-121745.png
    330.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
What did he say? All I saw yesterday was him calling out Burnley for a lot of physical play off and on the ball… fwiw I agree with him Burnley had some nasty challenges and didn’t even get a yellow card. Liverpool Is clicking and next week they will take down Chelsea.

However l don’t think they have the depth to keep up with City either in the front three or midfield. Can’t rely on Elliott or Jones for the full season, Keita and Henderson are very injury-prone, Silva and Fab are tremendous, and then there is Milner who is an emergency starter these days. Needed one more forward and midfielder to realistically challenge for the title.

Thiago* not Silva. Silva is CB signed by United

That’s the thing… Big Virgil might shut him down. But that opens space up for others.

Lukaku has evolved as a player since he left United. And he was already good then. Makes Chelsea very dangerous.

Size and strength don't beat the Liverpool back line, it's pace and timed runs to break the high line.

If Chelsea can figure out how to play Werner off of Lukaku... Look out.

Pulisic may still be out with covid. Mount and Havertz can beat Trent for pace though.

Curious of Robbo starts or if Gomez and/or Konate come in for Liverpool to make up for pace deficiency.

It's a tough exercise 11 v 11 as players are asked to play much differently for their respective teams.

Kante is a stud but Fab is half a foot taller albeit slower. Lukaku doesn't help defensively bit he's not asked to. Bobby would likely be wasted in Chelsea's system and Jota would perhaps look like Werner there.

I think, and have thought for years, Rudiger is a stud and closest physical specimen to Virg in the league.

Huge measurement game for Chelsea. Liverpool has Virgil back. Everyone is healthy for the Reds. No excuses for Liverpool; they are at Anfield next Saturday.

Then comes the first international break.

When they get back in September, Chelsea plays Villa (maybe not as good as last year, based on evidence so far ...), then at Spurs and home to Man. City.

Then they have a very easy October. Six games in a row they should expect to win until the November international break.

If Chelsea comes out of these first 2 windows of the regular season near the top after games v. Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and City in the first 7 games, that's really important to their ability to launch a title challenge this season.

Liverpool have most back but not match fit. Virgil doesn't look like Virgil of the past at the moment.

For my money City and Chelsea have the 2 most talented rosters top to bottom

Antonio is a freak show, just cannot play a full healthy campaign. When he's fit though, good luck

If you were Daniel Levy, owner of Spurs, who would you buy with 120M for Harry Kane?

You have to get another striker. They probably need a central defender and another back or a winger.

I would try for Paulo Dyballa of Juve for your replacement striker.

Try for Kalidou Koulibaly, the center back who Napoli have been trying to sell for a big fee for a couple years with no takers so far.

If you can't get him, Chelsea seem to be begging to sell Kurt Zouma, who is proven in the Premier League, and is a legit threat on set pieces.

Finally, I might take a shot at Kingsley Coman, who has fallen out of favor at Bayern.

Dyballa is too small for the prem. Great player but would get abused

FWIW I love what VIlla have done turning Grealish money into Ings, Buendia, and Bailey. Once Watkins is back they'll be a tough out. Still think they need a CB to pair with Mings to be complete though

FWIW I love what VIlla have done turning Grealish money into Ings, Buendia, and Bailey. Once Watkins is back they'll be a tough out. Still think they need a CB to pair with Mings to be complete though
They are my wildcard for the last Europa league spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom