Premier League 2021-2022 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League 2021-2022

OrangeFoo

All American
With the Charity Shield kicking off the EPL this weekend… we need to kick off our thread for the season. Everyone bring your best Roy Kent!

Who does everyone have this year? I think Man City is the clear favorite, but Chelsea has a real shot with all the young talent they have. I think Man-ure fill finish 3rd. I don’t think my Liverpool have done enough to refresh the squad and will have a nail biter to qualify for Champions League again. The wild card will be whether Elliott or Jones can provide more offensive creativity to the midfield and how healthy the usual guys can stay.

Liverpool might get lucky because there seems to be a pretty steep drop off after them… Arsenal are still not there, Tottenham could be a dark horse depending on how Santos does. West ham is still west ham… Leicester has gotten worse and is already injury stricken... Everton lost their manager. Is there anyone I’m missing?

From a usmnt perspectiv, outside of Chelsea, I’ll Be watching Sargent and Norwich City. Any other yanks in EPL worth watching?

Should be an amazing season with fans back!

I have trouble seeing City keeping the title this year. Aguero is gone, not that he played so much the last year or two, but he scored a lot of clutch goals. Gabriel Jesus is already gone, isn't he? And Sterling seems to be getting phased out for Phil Foden. With DeBruyne hurt, I don't think they're going to get off to a great start. I honestly don't understand 100M on Grealish. Where's he going to play - for Foden, or for DeBruyne?

Liverpool should be better, but their midfield is a bit of a question minus Wijnaldum, and with Henderson seeming like he might also go.

I think United will be stronger, but blew it by postponing Rashford's shoulder surgery for so long. Anthony Martial might go, and it would probably be best if they could move Pogba, too. Too big a personality for a guy who only shows up once every 3 or 4 games.

If Chelsea can bring back Lukaku, and add maybe a winger and move on some dead wood, they could challenge. Leicester might be in the mix, too. They added 3 good young players early in the window.

Spurs are in trouble. Arsenal aren't threatening Top 4 this year. If West Ham gets Tammy Abraham, they could challenge for Top 4. Villa and Leeds are trying to build up their squads but a top 10 finish is more likely than top 4 for either of them.

I have trouble seeing City keeping the title this year. Aguero is gone, not that he played so much the last year or two, but he scored a lot of clutch goals. Gabriel Jesus is already gone, isn't he? And Sterling seems to be getting phased out for Phil Foden. With DeBruyne hurt, I don't think they're going to get off to a great start. I honestly don't understand 100M on Grealish. Where's he going to play - for Foden, or for DeBruyne?

Liverpool should be better, but their midfield is a bit of a question minus Wijnaldum, and with Henderson seeming like he might also go.

I think United will be stronger, but blew it by postponing Rashford's shoulder surgery for so long. Anthony Martial might go, and it would probably be best if they could move Pogba, too. Too big a personality for a guy who only shows up once every 3 or 4 games.

If Chelsea can bring back Lukaku, and add maybe a winger and move on some dead wood, they could challenge. Leicester might be in the mix, too. They added 3 good young players early in the window.

Spurs are in trouble. Arsenal aren't threatening Top 4 this year. If West Ham gets Tammy Abraham, they could challenge for Top 4. Villa and Leeds are trying to build up their squads but a top 10 finish is more likely than top 4 for either of them.
I think a lot of Liverpoo‘s issues were du to mental exhaustion and injuries. They need VVD to come back to his preinjury form and stay healthy. That will allow Fabhino to play more upfield without having to worry about covering for the D. Going forward the big questions are whether Firmino and Mane can recapture their form… personally I think Firmino is done and Mane will come back. Biggest issue for Liverpool is the huge drop off in quality to the bench… if any of the starters get hurt the replacements aren’t great.

Man-ure has made some good moves with Varane and Sancho. Agree on Pogba… he’s a bad fit for the speed of English football. I do think they are a prolific striker away from Man City and Chelsea. Rashford is talented but needs to be more consisfent.

I trust Pep to figure out what to do with all his riches. I think Grealish is a really good player… we’ll see if he’s a true super star or big fish in a small pond. City is still the team to beat., but Chelsea has done a lot to close the gap, especially if they get Lukaku.

Lukaku would seemingly put Chelsea on top, while moving Pulisic to a wing back role. I'd think with some more time under Tuchel, the young players will improve. Depth shouldn't be a concern.

Liverpool will be there.

I think we see a surprise team make a top four run this year ... Leicester City

I think a lot of Liverpoo‘s issues were du to mental exhaustion and injuries. They need VVD to come back to his preinjury form and stay healthy. That will allow Fabhino to play more upfield without having to worry about covering for the D. Going forward the big questions are whether Firmino and Mane can recapture their form… personally I think Firmino is done and Mane will come back. Biggest issue for Liverpool is the huge drop off in quality to the bench… if any of the starters get hurt the replacements aren’t great.

Man-ure has made some good moves with Varane and Sancho. Agree on Pogba… he’s a bad fit for the speed of English football. I do think they are a prolific striker away from Man City and Chelsea. Rashford is talented but needs to be more consisfent.

I trust Pep to figure out what to do with all his riches. I think Grealish is a really good player… we’ll see if he’s a true super star or big fish in a small pond. City is still the team to beat., but Chelsea has done a lot to close the gap, especially if they get Lukaku.

Agree about Liverpool, that Firmino is a bench player now. Diogo Jota will take his spot in the front 3. I would put Mane central. The rumors for a couple seasons have been saying Salah wants to leave. I don't see Real having any money for a marquee signing like that right now, though.

But (a) will Mane and Salah have trouble (which has been brewing) playing together, and (b) where will the goals come from when both are at the African Cup and miss 1 month of the season?

I see where they have adjusted the ACN schedule, though, so that this year, players will only miss 3 to 4 games. So it could have been worse.

This year will see if Klopp still has the magic. This will be his 7th (!) season in charge at Liverpool. I don't think there has been enough new blood.

Thiago will play a bigger role in midfield. Naby Keita has to come good. Henderson will not get the extension and dollars he seeks, so he may be sold. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Divock Origi both have to be good for them to challenge this year. Otherwise, their squad still looks a bit thin.

Agree about Liverpool, that Firmino is a bench player now. Diogo Jota will take his spot in the front 3. I would put Mane central. The rumors for a couple seasons have been saying Salah wants to leave. I don't see Real having any money for a marquee signing like that right now, though.

But (a) will Mane and Salah have trouble (which has been brewing) playing together, and (b) where will the goals come from when both are at the African Cup and miss 1 month of the season?

I see where they have adjusted the ACN schedule, though, so that this year, players will only miss 3 to 4 games. So it could have been worse.

This year will see if Klopp still has the magic. This will be his 7th (!) season in charge at Liverpool. I don't think there has been enough new blood.

Thiago will play a bigger role in midfield. Naby Keita has to come good. Henderson will not get the extension and dollars he seeks, so he may be sold. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Divock Origi both have to be good for them to challenge this year. Otherwise, their squad still looks a bit thin.
I wish I had better insight into Klopp’s mind… he’s no dummy and must realize that the squad is getting pretty old. Yet he supposedly has control of transfers and Liverpool have done very little this year.

I do think Liverpool did a good job last year with Thiago and Jota… there’s no way they could have planned for VVD, who played every minute of the previous year to get hurt, but they should have had backup for Matip and Gomez, who seem to get hurt every month or so. This year the questions are all around the midfield… Hendo, Keita, Silva all seem to be pretty injury prone and they have no replacement for Gini, their least injury prone player. They need Elliott and Jones to step up in a big way if the transfer business is indeed closed.

With the Charity Shield kicking off the EPL this weekend… we need to kick off our thread for the season. Everyone bring your best Roy Kent!
Roy Kent is not going to spend one second breaking down f***ing Everton. It would be a bloody waste of time. They’ve been s*** and they will continue to be s****.

I could see someone jumping out early this year, and I think it might be Chelsea. Very excited now that Lukaku is coming on board! This is just what they needed.

I could add another midfielder, a right winger. I think their center backs are fine, but they seem intent on getting rid of Zouma. He's a great guy to have in the team.

With Rudiger & Christensen both out of contract (and really, after this year, I don't want ot see Thiago Silva starting at 38 years old), why are you getting rid of guys?

Lukaku is really happening!!! He just boarded the plane to London and gave a message to his fans in Italy on Twitter. F**ck Yeah !!!!

We are right there with anybody to win the league, and any of the Cups this year. We might need to tinker a bit; another ball-playing center back, a right wing and another young holding midfielder.

But we now have a roster that is pretty much the equal of anyone in England.

Roma (Mourinho) willing to pay Chelsea's 40M Euro asking price. Will Abraham accept personal terms? Another great result for Chelsea.

Man U won the transfer window.
1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. Man U
Are the contenders.

Sancho is going to be really good.

Man U won the transfer window.
1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. Man U
Are the contenders.

Sancho is going to be really good.

Who's their number 9?

Same question with City - and where does Grealish even fit into their side, to speak nothing of 100M pounds for him?

Who's their number 9?

Same question with City - and where does Grealish even fit into their side, to speak nothing of 100M pounds for him?
Martial will be their 9.

Grealish is a great pickup for Man City.
City is obviously going to end up with Kane.
Maybe not this year but in the next year he will be there.

Tottenham probably doesn’t want him playing against them this Sunday.

Martial will be their 9.

Kane has lost a step or two... solid striker, but I don’t think he is City’s level anymore.

Kane has lost a step or two... solid striker, but I don’t think he is City’s level anymore.

Kane is starting to enter his "Later Rooney Years", IMO.

Martial will be their 9.

Eh, I don't know if Martial (a) beats out Cavani, and (b) looks like he might be sold.

Grealish's big claim to fame is he gets fouled a lot, like Hazard used to do. But he's not that effective as a direct runner at the goal. He seems more like a freelancing type of number 10, who needs some freedom to be at his best. He could be a creative unpredictable guy who can break down bunkered defenses.

But if you think about Pep, what he coaches is very regimented in terms of player rotations as they press, transition, etc. He has a very fluid offense built on a lot of interchange, but it is still very structured, and Pep expects his players to press.

He has no time for "luxury" players. Mesut Ozil could never play for Pep. Hazard could never play for Pep. I'm not sure that Grealish fits Pep's style. I think he would be far better at United if they moved on Pogba. He and Bruno Fernandez could be very good together.

Grealish is kind of a cross, to me, between the skillful play of a young Juan Mata and the cheap theatrics of a Joey Barton, when he was still a legit Premier League player.

Lukaku would seemingly put Chelsea on top, while moving Pulisic to a wing back role. I'd think with some more time under Tuchel, the young players will improve. Depth shouldn't be a concern.

Liverpool will be there.

I think we see a surprise team make a top four run this year ... Leicester City

I agree on Leicester. Their player recruitment these past 3 years or so has been outstanding. And Rogers has really become a better coach. Their last 2 meltdowns at season's end were from exhaustion, IMO, not a choke job from BRog. Maddison is their Grealish. They should try to hold on to him for another year. They need a viable striker aside from Vardy, who is starting to show his age.

The loss of Fofano hurts badly, but they look to have a pretty solid replacement they are lining up, and they still have a couple good ones in Soyuncu and Johnny Evans. Stefan de Vrij of Inter is apparently available, as Inter bails out their owners and are stripping it down. (Chelsea has recent interest in de Vrij, as well.)

Could Dominic Calvert-Lewin make the move from Everton to replace Harry Kane at Spurs? I think DCL is an emerging, truly top talent.

The loss of Ancelotti as coach sets that program back a lot in terms of prestige. It's a shame because he was building quite a roster there and there remains a lot of talent on this team.

Thomas Tuchel is either trying to build up Abraham's public prestige with this to help his sales price, or could he honestly find a place for Tammy maybe as the new "Olivier Giroud" late game-changer at the 9. He's got height and pace, and would probably be more effective as a late game substitute?

Report: Tammy Abraham's Buy-Out Clause Revealed Ahead of AS Roma Transfer

Could Tuchel actually make use of more of his roster, now that he's spent more time working with the entire roster? He had 37 guys in his training camp. That's Berhalter-esque!

Meanwhile, could Jose Mourinho offer Abraham a landing place in Italy with Roma? Moving to Italy has helped a lot of Premier League players who weren't quite ready yet.

I am selfishly liking the Lukaku signing as Chelsea will be a bit deeper at attack and while I want to see Pulisic playing as much as possible also want him healthy and not too worn down for qualifying.

Meanwhile I lick my wounds again as an Arsenal supporter. Trying to be optimistic but I don't see anything better than Top 10. I won't even bother getting into the details as they aren't even putting out a team that could even compete for top 4.

Last edited:
I am selfishly liking the Lukaku signing as Chelsea will be a bit deeper at attack and while I want to see Pulisic playing as much as possible also want him healthy and not too worn down for qualifying.

Meanwhile I lick my wounds again as an Arsenal supporter. Trying to be optimistic but I don't see anything better than Top 10

Yeah, they have some talent in that roster, but the midfield needs a do-over. Partey's loss really hurt, as did Odegaard's. Are they settled on centerbacks?

Yeah, they have some talent in that roster, but the midfield needs a do-over. Partey's loss really hurt, as did Odegaard's. Are they settled on centerbacks?

Lots of "talk" but not sure the direction. There was talk about going after Trippier which would be a nice get. Midfield is a mess and even up front Aubemeyang is aging and they just haven't found the right combination up front. Mixed results all year. If there was one thing with Wenger, while they struggled beating the top of the table it was very clear you were watching Arsenal football. I just don't understand Arteta's vision any more than I did Emery's.

Lots of "talk" but not sure the direction. There was talk about going after Trippier which would be a nice get. Midfield is a mess and even up front Aubemeyang is aging and they just haven't found the right combination up front. Mixed results all year. If there was one thing with Wenger, while they struggled beating the top of the table it was very clear you were watching Arsenal football. I just don't understand Arteta's vision any more than I did Emery's.

Auba seems like your new Ozil. Plays when he feels like it, gets too easily disinterested. But soooo talented.

I watched that seemingly every other year with Hazard, as he got coach after coach fired, if they expected him to really play defense...

Auba seems like your new Ozil. Plays when he feels like it, gets too easily disinterested. But soooo talented.

I watched that seemingly every other year with Hazard, as he got coach after coach fired, if they expected him to really play defense...

Good analogy. Ozil did a great job getting himself a nice paycheck before underwhelming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom