Premier League 2022-23 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League 2022-23

They're consistently done in by no depth, especially at striker. Calvert-Lewin can't stay healthy and neither can anyone on the back line.

Well, just two years ago, they had Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison and Alex Iwobi up front and Lucas Digne at winger.

James Rodriguez, Doucoure, Allan, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Andre Gomes, Fabian Delph and Tom Davies made up a strong and deep midfield.

Michael Keene, Yerry Mina, Mason Holgate, Seamus Coleman and Jordan Pickford for your defense and keeper. Could've kept Kurt Zouma from the year before, but that didn't happen.

That's quite a squad, from only 2-3 seasons ago. I don't understand what's happened.

Well, just two years ago, they had Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison and Alex Iwobi up front and Lucas Digne at winger.

James Rodriguez, Doucoure, Allan, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Andre Gomes, Fabian Delph and Tom Davies made up a strong and deep midfield.

Michael Keene, Yerry Mina, Mason Holgate, Seamus Coleman and Jordan Pickford for your defense and keeper. Could've kept Kurt Zouma from the year before, but that didn't happen.

That's quite a squad, from only 2-3 seasons ago. I don't understand what's happened.
Richarlison was ready to move on. Iwobi was terrible in attack and much more effective in a holding role (and now hurt). Digne and James didn't get along with Rafa and were moved out. Siggy got the axe for shady personal reasons, Allan, Dourcoure, Gomes, Davies all just stopped being useful. Delph couldn't stay healthy. Mina can't stay healthy, Keane is a sieve, Holgate is inconsistent, Coleman is past his prime.

Richarlison was ready to move on. Iwobi was terrible in attack and much more effective in a holding role (and now hurt). Digne and James didn't get along with Rafa and were moved out. Siggy got the axe for shady personal reasons, Allan, Dourcoure, Gomes, Davies all just stopped being useful. Delph couldn't stay healthy. Mina can't stay healthy, Keane is a sieve, Holgate is inconsistent, Coleman is past his prime.

Oh, I know there are a million reasons, and things happen, and players may tune out the new coach, or the new coach might not like your style. I'm going through all of that right now at Chelsea.

I think Everton was harmed by the Benitez signing. He was a "big name", but he was defensive even by the standards of other defensive coaches. Not the right fit after Carlo, who liked to let players express themselves. Big Sam was the wrong fit at that time. Marco had a good spell, and of course David Moyes, years ago.

You need a coach who plays progressive football. But you also need someone with actual coaching chops, able to make players better, not just pat the young ones on the back and give them encouragement.

That seems to be about the extent of Lampard's skill set. His teams don't know how to play defense, and defense is what keeps you in the Premier League. If you don't give up much more than a goal a game, you're staying up. If you can score at least 50+ goals, you'll be mid-table.

Everton need a Eddie Howe kind of signing right now. Or an Unai Emery. Not sure who would fit that bill, but that's kind of what you're looking for after Frank.

Oh, I know there are a million reasons, and things happen, and players may tune out the new coach, or the new coach might not like your style. I'm going through all of that right now at Chelsea.

I think Everton was harmed by the Benitez signing. He was a "big name", but he was defensive even by the standards of other defensive coaches. Not the right fit after Carlo, who liked to let players express themselves. Big Sam was the wrong fit at that time. Marco had a good spell, and of course David Moyes, years ago.

You need a coach who plays progressive football. But you also need someone with actual coaching chops, able to make players better, not just pat the young ones on the back and give them encouragement.

That seems to be about the extent of Lampard's skill set. His teams don't know how to play defense, and defense is what keeps you in the Premier League. If you don't give up much more than a goal a game, you're staying up. If you can score at least 50+ goals, you'll be mid-table.

Everton need a Eddie Howe kind of signing right now. Or an Unai Emery. Not sure who would fit that bill, but that's kind of what you're looking for after Frank.
The joke right now is Sean Dyche. I wouldn't say no, even though that has a low ceiling.

The joke right now is Sean Dyche. I wouldn't say no, even though that has a low ceiling.

Dyche is not a joke. I think that's real, and I think he could probably tighten up the back enough to keep you up. But he's not going to create an offense that's going to get you many goals.

If you hire Dyche, you'll need to also buy 2 or 3 guys in the January window to have a chance of staying up - I would say a creative midfielder who can thread a pass, a fast winger who can put in a cross, and a new target man up front. If you get Dyche, you will stop leaking goals, but you have to bolster the attack, because he won't get you more out of the guys you already have in that regard.

Mauricio Pochettino has had his representatives float a story that he's available, if Boehley & Co. decide to move on from Graham Potter. Chelsea has 3 games left in January - Fulham, Crystal Palace and Liverpool. Chelsea should expect 2 wins out of 3, regardless of all the injuries. If they don't start turning things around and showing some hope, Potter's terrible results may force a change.

Latest January transfer rumors (1/11)

Aston Villa interested in Matteo Guendouzi, the wild-haired young guy who used to play at Arsenal, often a red card waiting to happen. Apparently he is playing well at Marseille and is still somehow only 23 years old. He would be a good pickup for Villa (or Everton). Remember that Emery (Villa's new coach) coached him at Arsenal.

Chelsea have signed Joao Felix from Atletico Madrid on loan. He's been told that he'll play the 10. They are also talking to Marcus Thuram, the young #9 from the France team. They already have Salzburg's Christopher Nkunku joining in the summer. He's a Dembele / Henry style player, who can also play through the middle. Chelsea still planning to add a big name midfielder this summer (too expensive right now after Enzo Fernandez deal fell through).

Leeds apparently about to finalize the $35M purchase of Georginio Rutter of Hoffenheim, a French U21 International at striker. Only a couple goals this year, so I have to think this is a bit of a flyer. I don't see immediate help here.

Leeds also interested in French midfield destroyer at Lens, Seko Fofana, but he won't be available until the summer.

Villa also looking to sign left back Alex Moreno from Real Betis. Good solid player with previous Prem. experience.

Aubamayang might be headed back to Barca, if it's free, and they would move DePay off their wage bill by sending him on to Atletico.

Newcastle United have been linked with Borussia Dortmund’s Youssoufa Moukoko in recent days. 6 goals and 4 assists in 14 games this season. Only around 20, likened to Samuel Eto'o.

More transfer gossip.

Liverpool interested in 21-year-old Khephren Thuram of Nice. Brother of the young #9 who did so well at the World Cup. Khephren is a tall defensive midfielder, compared to Fabinho. He's intended to bring some fresh legs to the Liverpool midfield and is seen as affordable. "In talks".

Eden Hazard has his agent hoping to drum up interest in a return to the Prem. to somebody like Newcastle, but I think joining Cristiano Ronaldo in Saudi Arabia seems more likely.

Wolves are closing in on a deal for former Fulham and Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina. The 29-year-old's current club Nice have been in talks with Wolves, where coach Julen Lopetegui has planned to add to his midfield options.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka, former United right back, is also wanted at Wolves.

Atletico talks to take Memphis DePay from Barca are heating up, now that Felix to Chelsea is official.

As Arsenal's intended acquisition of the winger Mudryk from Shaktar has dragged, they may turn to Sergei Malinkovitch-Savic. Lazio is said to be looking for an $8M loan fee + obligation to buy for around $35-40M. Steep drop from the $120 million they were quoting people a couple years ago. He's a fine player, and would be a great addition at that price.

So, who is this young guy Endrick who Real Madrid just signed? He's supposed to be the next big thing from Brazil. Comparisons get tossed around carelessly with this kid. He's got back-to-goal skills as a number 9, and can make a quick turn to his preferred left foot. He has great pace on the break, and he also is pretty accurate at stabbing in balls in front of goal. He's not big enough to play a traditional striker role in Europe, in my opinion, but he looks very talented. Have a look for yourself. Here's a 5 minute highlight package.

The Athletic has an article talking about how Liverpool still misses Gini Wijnaldum, who they never really replaced when he moved (unsuccessfully) to PSG a couple years ago. They compared current players in their early 20s to Wijnaldum's player profile when Liverpool signed him as a 24 year old.

Interesting comparisons, and some surprising names of young guys who might be shrewd buys in the future (and some of whom have already proven themselves at a pretty high level).

Home underdogs pulling a lot of upsets today - United over City (come from behind, no less!), Brighton over Liverpool, Nottingham Forest win, Wolves, Southhampton both win (Southhampton at Everton, who gave this one away).

This is going to be a match week that tightens the table throughout.

Mauricio Pochettino has had his representatives float a story that he's available, if Boehley & Co. decide to move on from Graham Potter. Chelsea has 3 games left in January - Fulham, Crystal Palace and Liverpool. Chelsea should expect 2 wins out of 3, regardless of all the injuries. If they don't start turning things around and showing some hope, Potter's terrible results may force a change.
Six points in Nine games is horrific

Home underdogs pulling a lot of upsets today - United over City (come from behind, no less!), Brighton over Liverpool, Nottingham Forest win, Wolves, Southhampton both win (Southhampton at Everton, who gave this one away).

This is going to be a match week that tightens the table throughout.
My son couldn't believe City lost in that fashion

Liverpool is in need of a kick in the arse

Nice to see Ward-Prowse step up - Everton is getting really dicey. Their board couldn't attend match due to legit security threats!

Six points in Nine games is horrific

Yeah, that's form that will get you relegated. A lot of the older players simply don't work for him. Today he played 4 or 5 of the young guys, and they got a better effort against Palace.

Nice to see Ward-Prowse step up - Everton is getting really dicey. Their board couldn't attend match due to legit security threats!

I like Ward-Prowse, and had him on my Fantasy team before the World Cup. Lampard's gotta go. He's a terrible coach. Their talent is that of a much better team. There's still half a season left. They just have to pick the right guy.

I don't think that either Foden or Grealish are living up to expectations, notwithstanding Grealish's late goal recently. Marcus Rashford, on the other hand, is on fire now that Ronaldo is gone and he can play where he prefers to.

Liverpool don't have the quality young guys in midfield to rest or replace Jordan Henderson and Fabinho. Thiago Alcantera is a nice guy out there, but he has to have younger, more athletic guys around him. You can have a midfield with one older guy, but not all three of them.

IthacaMatt you are going to like Mudryk. Super exciting player, I do think the fee is high but that’s the current market.

He’s still a little raw so may have to be patient with him. Faster than the wind though.

IthacaMatt you are going to like Mudryk. Super exciting player, I do think the fee is high but that’s the current market.

He’s still a little raw so may have to be patient with him. Faster than the wind though.

I think that most of the Chelsea fan base remember the year when we couldn't buy anyone in 2 windows, and so Abramovich gave then-coach Frank Lampard carte blanche to play a bunch of the youngsters, and see who was good enough to play first team football.

Chelsea fans saw the emergence of Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Trevor Chalobah, Reese James and even a few more guys.

One of the announcers, following today's game, said "It's cheaper to buy the new guys first, before you clear out the old ones. That way, it won't cost you as much in the long run."

Chelsea are stocking up on talented young guys, aged 18-23, for the most part, and it seems likely that 6 to 8 players are going to be shown the door by the end of the year.

This will lower the average wage, along with the average age, and bring together a group of hungry young players, just like other clubs (like Arsenal, Leicester a few years ago, Real Madrid, Bayern, Dortmund and Newcastle) are trying to do right now.

Build a new culture with young malleable players, who will all buy in. Get rid of the player power among the old guys, who will stop working hard for you if they get into that mood.

The weekend kicks off tomorrow morning with Chelsea visiting Liverpool. Despite both teams' poor form, Liverpool seem "less awful" lately to me and should win at home.

Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest both have among the 4 or 5 worst goal differentials - usually a good sign of demotion to the Championship - but Forest are somehow sitting in 13th place!

Leicester home against Brighton, who are flying under their new coach, Roberto DeZerbi. Leicester have to start winning some games soon, or Rodgers may be shown the door. There's too much talent for Leicester to continue to play this poorly.

Villla should win away at Southhampton, who have been wretched. If West Ham is going to ever respond for David Moyes, it's this game against beleaguered Everton and Frankie Lamps.

Crystal Palace at home will present a challenge for Newcastle. Palace's 3 forwards are all terrific (Zaha, Eze and Olise), but Ayew doesn't get it done at striker.

On Sunday, I hope Leeds can win at home for Jesse Marsch against Brentford. I read some rumblings about a long suspension for Andrew Toney, who reportedly bet on over 200 games. Who knows if his head will be in the game?

Arsenal home to United on Sunday is a juicy game that could go either way. Fulham hosting Spurs on Monday Night could put a dagger into Antonio Conte, who is losing his grip.

Transfer rumors heading into the weekend:

Biggest rumor is that Daniel Levy is losing hope in Conte, and may cash in on Harry Kane this summer. Levy reportedly dropping his price to a more-realistic 85M, which would help him reinforce the team. Man. United has reportedly been alerted and is of course very interested.

Arsenal signed Leandro Trossard from Brighton after missing out on Mudryk. An older player, but a much more reasonable price, and he should be ready to contribute immediately, and fits their style of play. It also looks like Arsenal is about to sign a 22 year old Polish defender named Jakub Kiwior from Spezia in Serie A.

Leicester just signed a young defender named Victor Kristiansen from FC Copenhagen. He's a young left back they got for 20M.

Chelsea, of course, have signed 6 guys so far in this window, and are looking seriously to fill 3 more spots in January, with 11 days to go. They had a 65M bid for Moises Caicedo of Brighton turned back, and have since approached Spurs about buying Yves Bissouma, who's not seeing a lot of playing time, and are willing to throw in Hakim Ziyech, who played pretty well last time out.

They received encouragement from Inter, when Inzaghi, their coach, said today that the development of a couple of their other young right backs could see them sell Dumfries. Chelsea want him and could get him for 45M, they say.

Chelsea also still working hard on Marcus Thuram from Borussia Munchengladbach. They also just signed another young winger, Muedeke, from PSV Eindhoven.

Everton is a dumpster

Balls put in play in front of net, and they just completely botch the opportunity to strike

They can move the ball up the pitch but they cannot finish, at all

I can't believe that we have a Premier League Fantasy thread but not one for the real games??

Come on, people! We can do better than this.

Midway point in the season (well, 14-15 games out of 38, what's that, 40%?), Arsenal top of the league. Playing great football. Lots of young talent, qualify possession, quality pressing forcing turnovers high up the pitch. Fluid attack in the Man City / Pep style on full display. Gabriel Jesus and Zinchenko bringing some of that championship experience to a young, well-recruited side. Arsenal's big improvements are having a better holding MF (Thomas Partey) so Granit Xhaka doesn't have to be such a foul machine on defense. Xhaka is connecting their play better. Saka and Jesus have gone a bit off the boil, though. I think the break came at a bad time for them, with Jesus getting hurt at the World Cup.

City are playing well. Haaland is going to set an all-time goal record this year, with probably 10 goals to spare. He has taken them to a whole new level. They should win Europe this year (finally!) if Haaland can continue anything close to his early season form. Missing the WC has probably given his body a rest.

Eddie Howe is doing a brilliant job at Newcastle. They have great fans. I remember the terrific Alan Pardew led team they had back in about 2012 with Demba Ba and Pappis Cisse in attack, Cheik Tiote in MF, finished around 5th or so. Terrific team to watch. Almiron won't keep scoring at this pace, but they will still bring in a couple players in January, including potentially Pulisic, who would be a tremendous spot for him, IMO. Alain St. Maximan has been hurt, too, and should be coming back to pick up Almiron when he eventually cools down. They will probably get a MF, Winger and CF in January, maybe even a FB or CB. They have a real shot at Champions League with some serious reinforcements, and the Saudi's have been relatively patient and modest in their investment up to now.

Spurs should be doing better. It seems like they are not adapting well to Conte's second season. Their offense has cooled, and Son and Kane are not having typical years. The recruiting has been workmanlike. I wonder if Chelsea could convince Daniel Levy to take Romelu Lukaku off his hands? I'm sure he and Conte would love to get back together. And Lukaku could give his "unfinished business in England" speech, like he did when he came back to Chelsea. I think that Spurs are about to take a fall. I think Conte's innovations in England (3 at the back w/ Chelsea led to a 13 game winning streak as they ran away with the League in 2017). But everybody plays 3 at the back now, and the advantages of overwhelming midfield, having width at the back, etc., has been kind of found out by other coaches. Conte needs a new trick, because gegen-pressing is the modern game, and he's a bit out of step. His methods would be great in international football, just like Van Gaal had a very good WC with a less-than-stellar Dutch squad by playing on the counter. Pochettino is kind of a similar coach.

I don't think Van Dyke has that aura anymore. I think he has become human, and that has hurt Liverpool's defense. Their midfield is still old, too, and needs rebuilding. I'll be surprised if Liverpool can manage Top 4 again this year.

Brighton's new coach is spurring them on, and they have continued to play well, thrashing Chelsea and embarrassing Mr. Potter, leading to Chelsea's recent slide. They have the players to be this year's Leicester (not Champions, but a quality side, like the recent ones under Rodgers). Speaking of Leicster, I can't believe players that good are playing so poorly.

I think United will be better with Ronaldo, whose career in the Big Time is now officially over. He might not even play in the WC semifinal for Portugal tomorrow. Can you imagine that? Certainly not how he expected his career to end. But we don't all get happy endings, do we? United still needs more in midfield and another couple defenders. I think they have good players in attack.

I think that there is great quality in midtable in teams like West Ham, Villa, Palace, Brentford, Leeds and Everton. The last two (Leeds and Everton) could use a couple/three new players in January to liven up their sides. But all of those team have a lot of talent. I think Fulham are playing over their heads a bit. It's hard to bring in a whole new team and expect there to be chemistry, but they are doing well.

With respect to relegation, I think that goal differential is the best indicator of who will wind up going down. By that measure, the battle will be among 4 teams for 3 spots - Nottingham Forest (sure to go down), Wolves (sure to go down; they just can't score goals), and then either Bournemouth or Southhampton. I'm thinking that Southampton's traditional expansive football is somehow going to get them enough goals to stay up, but the question is, if they play that way, can they keep enough out?

Biggest Transfer Rumors I'm hearing right now (mostly about Chelsea, of course ...), but for United, I hear they are getting close with Cody Gakpo, who has been very good for Holland. I heard that Frenkie De Jong might be leaving Barca for either Arsenal or United, to play for Ten Haag.

Liverpool want Jude Bellingham really badly, but will have to wait for the summer. They've been after Martin Skriniar of Inter for quite some time, too. They might get Skriniar in January. They are also looking at Enzo Fernandez of Benfica.

Chelsea are going to be active in January. I could see maybe 3 new players, and couple possible sales. Todd Boehley, the owner of the Dogers and Chelsea, has been keen for swap deals, which are still relatively rare, although they can be used to help inflate the value of transfers for FFP purposes, like Barca did a couple years ago, swapping players at inflated values to create the appearance of more revenue. Anyway, the latest is Boehley wanting to swap Pulisic to Bayern to get Kingsley Coman, who used to be such a hot prospect, but who now sits on the bench behind Serge Gnabry and Leroy Sane. That's an interesting one.

They are anxious to dump Hakim Ziyech and Romelu Lukaku, but teams in Italy only want them on loan, not permanent deals. Ugh.

Chelsea needs a MF to enable them to replace Jorginho and N'Golo (always injured) Kante, who was seeking a 4 year deal at age 31 from Chelea, after playing only about half of the last 3 years, and who will now be unavailable until at least February. He priced himself out of a deal. Jorginho really, really hopes to go to Barcelona, but they don't have budget to sign him unless he's free. Let him go. They have lots of young guys in MF, they have experience in Mateo Kovacic, who is looking great for Croatia, isn't he? And they can also get Adrian Rabiot, who has played so well for France, on a free transfer from PSG, where he is running out his own contract this spring.

Chelsea are pushing hard for Christopher Nkunku of Leipzig, who could be a tremendous attacker at the 9, and they also want Rafael Leao from Milan, who is having a very good WC. They want Denzel Dumphries to give cover at RB, where Reece James has been hurt, to Chelsea's detriment. They probably need more cover at LB for Chilwell, too, as Marc Cucarella has been having a terrible time defensively. I hear they are also after Josko Gvardial, a 20 year old central defender who has been great for Croatia. He's also at Leipzig, and Chelsea just hired one of their player personnel people.

That's a lot of spending, but they need a lot of work to compete at the top. Chelsea also rumored to look to sell both Edouard Mendy and Kepa Arrizabellaga this summer. They signed that up and coming kid from MLS, Gabriel Slonina, but he's too young to be more than a back-up right now. I love the way that goalkeeper for Croatia has been playing, Dominick Livakovic.

The guy has played for Dinamo Zagreb, a very respectable team who often make Champions League, for several years, and has been a regular with the Croatia national team since 2019. He's 27 years old, and has saved about 25% of the total penalties he's faced in his career. That's an outstanding number, in my book. He's played nearly 250 games for Dinamo Zagreb.

He may be experienced enough to be a first choice keeper in the Premier League. I read that United had already been scouting him, so they would appear to have the head start. But if Chelsea is dumping both their keepers this summer, this guy can calmly play with the ball at his feet. Even Brazil couldn't effectively press Croatia. Livakovic had a lot to do with that (as did young Gvardiol, the 20 year old central defender).

Getting both would reinvent Chelsea's defense, and they could maybe ask Thiago Silva if he'd be interested in coaching. That would leave them with the following central defenders - Wesley Fofana (21), Trevor Chalobah (23), Gvardiol (20), Koulibaly (31) and Azpilicueta (33). That's a terrific group, much more agile than they've been for a while in the back.
I believe Haaland should be illegal. So big, fast and skilled. Him on the receiving end from DeBruyne is crazy to watch. Can’t believe they aren’t top of the table. That’s sports.

Everton is a dumpster

Balls put in play in front of net, and they just completely botch the opportunity to strike

They can move the ball up the pitch but they cannot finish, at all
They’re getting relegated this year. And there’s nothing to indicate they’ll get promoted in the near future.

Maybe in 20 or 30 years, Ryan Reynolds’ kids will buy the club and turn things around.

Wrex could beat Everton
They’re getting relegated this year. And there’s nothing to indicate they’ll get promoted in the near future.

Maybe in 20 or 30 years, Ryan Reynolds’ kids will buy the club and turn things around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom