Prepare ourselves we must | Syracusefan.com

Prepare ourselves we must

I really hope that not locking him up earlier this year doesn't come back to haunt us.

(fingers and toes crossed)

The next three months Coach Babers name is going to come up for EVERY opening, regardless if it makes sense or not
I hate to speak well of Coyle, after the way he treated SU, but. . .

He hired Babers.
He gave him a 6-year deal.
He back-loaded the contract--a provision that Babers himself has mentioned publicly.

Which is not to say that there won't be suitors, nor that Dino might not be interested in the right offer. But his leaving is far from a slam dunk.

The price you pay for having a (hopefully) great year after being mediocre at best for the last 20 years.

We are not a mid major. We run the Athletic department in the black, and you can’t have all these plans for a remodeled dome without a great coach. I really think we can afford to pay him 4MM If we have to and It’s a drop in the bucket. If we built excitement around the program, just extra ticket sales could make up the salary increase. If Dino leaves for the 3rd time in less than three years at each program, then he was just trying to get paid.

Especially when one of our own has a big audience and an axe to grind.

I'll remind him until he blocks me. I don't care. I know I'm right. He sucks.
Axe to grind out not, I think a much bigger factor is Brain damage.

I truly think he stays. He has this place going the way he wants. We will lock him up this year. Show him the moneyyyyyyyyyyyy. We keep winnning and more people back the dome so we can pay him and assistants.

Why would he leave? Look at what he is building here. SU may be the number 2 team in our division at the end of the year...maybe in the conference. The two best conferences in the P5 are the SEC and the ACC. Where would he go? Why would he want to take a job at another rebuild when he has this program on an upward trajectory to possibly be a national power again. He would be the next Coach Ben or Mac here. It's not always about just money...sometimes it's about a legacy.

The good news is Sean Lewis is getting some valuable head coaching experience at Kent State. He could walk in hear tomorrow and our offensive scheme would not change.
No. Lewis just got his first MAC win against a horrible BGSU. He has a long way to go. And the coaches Babers has in place here aren't staying for Lewis.

And didn't we learn that a coordinator doesn't always make a good HC.

Last edited:
No. Lewis just got his first MAC win against a horrible BGSU. He has a long way to go. And the coaches Babers has in place here aren't staying for Lewis.

And didn't we learn that a coordinator doesn't always make a good HC.

This is the Scott Shafer playbook. No thank you. IF he leaves, you go find the next hot shot coach. Pitt has done it 4-5x over past 20 years and have never fell off the earth. They haven't been knocking down the door for championships but haven't been us either.

I trust Wildhack. Hope Dino stays, but if he doesn’t, we’re in a much stronger position than we were when he came to get a great replacement. He proved you can win and get buzz at Syracuse and can be a “cool” program.

We can afford to cough up the cash to Dino and his staff. We aren’t in the Big East anymore, we make big boy money, the ACC Network starts up next year and we have a Hall of Fame hoops coach who gives a hometown discount and is like the 43rd highest paid coach in America. No excuses

First of all im going on record that JW will retain Dino with one exception.
If USC offers he is gone. So assuming Dino takes his show to the city of Angels who does JW turn to. One coach that i like for our program would be Matt Canada from Maryland. I think that he is an offensive genius who could convince Tommy and our key offensive talent to stay. I have watched a few of his interviews since the Maryland mess unfolded and he has handled himself extremely well. He is 46 in his prime would bring Beatty a great recruiter with him. I really like him. As to other candidates there are many. The bottom line is that in the event Dino heads to LA we need to hire an offensive minded coach that can take our current roster and roll. My money is on Dino being here for a very long time. Either way i trust that JW will get it right.

Actually now that I think about it, there is no one on the staff that has ever been an HC before at the college level, correct? Why the switch to P was made was partly because of the experience he had as an HC.

Somebody please explain why USC is so special in the eyes of HCDB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom