Preseason Practice... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

Not sure if this helps your faith in the fan base, but when I joke about the stat lines JG3 is going to put up next season I'm actually mocking the coach, not the player.
My big concern--

I read recently that rosters this year will be more mature (older) than they have been in years, or even decades, because of NIL (Tshiebwe, Bacot, etal.) and the extra Covid year of eligibility (dozens, if not hundreds). Which means that our team, heavily stocked with freshmen, will be sending our 18-19 year-olds out to compete against 22-23 year-olds.

It’s insane. If JG3 isn’t leading the team in shot attempts there’s a problem. I expect him to average 20, and he should. The notion/insinuation that he is somehow just a random no talent chucker is absurd.
That's not what I am implying. If offense seems to come from no other reliable player, Joe will feel forced to do more, which means taking bad shots while being double teamed and highly focused upon on offense. He won't be the first player put in that situation when teammates can't score or are too timid offensively.

I prefer that Joe averages 15 to 16 points. If he has to average 20 points or more, it will mean a lot of forced shots, low field goal percentage and that others aren't contributing offensively. Joe, Benny and Jesse should be our top scorers and go to guys taking the pressure off the freshmen. If we can get one freshman to randomly step up each game to give us at least 10 points while 2 others contribute 5 pts each we should be fine. This is not a high scoring team, so defense will be essential.

I agree in principle, but if Girard gets good shots in the flow of the offense, his results could be more like 20ppg on 6 of 16 shooting, 5 of 13 from 3, 1 of 3 on twos and a handful of free throws every game. He'll have his 8 for 14 three point shooting nights and he'll have his 1 for 14, but they'll average out to a decent high volume percentage that actually helps the team win.

Playing on a team with a good post presence and decent passing guards, Girard might not need to play hero ball to get his points.

If he does shoot 23 shots every night, especially if a lot of them are ill advised, the team could be unwatchable and disintegrating by Christmas.

I don't think JB will let that happen, but a lot depends on the other guys being effective.

guessing he will have games where he goes off from 3. We need the PG to penetrate and kick, to JG, Benny, Bunch and Taylor
Mintz being a threat to score at the rim or on floaters/jumpers after getting into the paint while also being able to pass for easy baskets or open jumpers is one of the keys to our offense this year.

The dream is Girard shoots a couple wide open threes a half courtesy of Mintz every half, or Edwards and Williams get frequent easy dunks as they shade towards Girard even after Mintz gets past his man.

A lot has to go right, but the team can realistically be really good on offense this year, with lots of ways to score available to them.

My big concern--

I read recently that rosters this year will be more mature (older) than they have been in years, or even decades, because of NIL (Tshiebwe, Bacot, etal.) and the extra Covid year of eligibility (dozens, if not hundreds). Which means that our team, heavily stocked with freshmen, will be sending our 18-19 year-olds out to compete against 22-23 year-olds.
Well, we have young legs and enthusiasm going for us, which is nice.

I agree in principle, but if Girard gets good shots in the flow of the offense, his results could be more like 20ppg on 6 of 16 shooting, 5 of 13 from 3, 1 of 3 on twos and a handful of free throws every game. He'll have his 8 for 14 three point shooting nights and he'll have his 1 for 14, but they'll average out to a decent high volume percentage that actually helps the team win.

Playing on a team with a good post presence and decent passing guards, Girard might not need to play hero ball to get his points.

If he does shoot 23 shots every night, especially if a lot of them are ill advised, the team could be unwatchable and disintegrating by Christmas.

I don't think JB will let that happen, but a lot depends on the other guys being effective.
Remember, JG3's guy is Jimmer.

Jimmer attempted 20.7 shots a game his senior season.

JG3 is going to be in that ballpark. He will.

And my body is ready.

Gotta throw a party for my day ones
They ain't in the studio, but they'll lay somethin'

o0XdvnN__400x400.jpg

It’s insane. If JG3 isn’t leading the team in shot attempts there’s a problem. I expect him to average 20, and he should. The notion/insinuation that he is somehow just a random no talent chucker is absurd.
Cant wait to see Joe playing his natural position. Kids got 40 foot range. He will open the floor.

This team lacks one player, but even if he was eligible, Derek looks out of shape.

The guy that led the ACC in 3pt FG% last year is already getting mocked and the season hasn’t started. Nice fanbase.
If there are concerns this year (experience at the 3, Benny's scoring at the 4, etc), JGIII is not one of them. Who else would fans want as a volume scorer? At 40%+ from 3, he's probably the top returning shooter in the ACC.

Not only is he efficient from outside, this year he'll be playing mostly the 2. That likely means less defensive pressure ... as he won't have to bring the ball up or constantly position himself to set up the offense. He'll also be playing next to one of the most talented young play-makers in the conference (Mintz). Lots to be excited about with Joe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom