Preseason Practice... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

well he's been clamped down by top teams generally.

In the last duke game without buddy joe went off in the first half and did nothing faceguarded in the 2nd...so...if he has to score iso vs top defender on other teams...i dont expect much success...

but within the team concept he can get open looks if the team would start screening off the ball, pick and roll, run sets to get him open etc...

ISO Joe doesnt seem the best way to use him

but JBs offense is ISO heavy...something has to give
That’s all I’m saying.

It's a well-known fact that JB is a big fan of Steph Curry. I think what he's envisioning with JG3 is a sniper, Jimmer Fredette-like redux offense, where Joe carries the team, and the Frosh play supporting roles to varying degrees. Jimmer is JG3's mentor...Joe was made for this role, and I believe he'll thrive in it.
Judah as the PG to facilitate and orchestrate the "O", Jesse in the middle to provide "some" offense when needed, and Benny, yes Benny, to play a key role as uber-athletic garbage man for rebounding and defense.
Despite all his faults, theres no question that JB is a savant on the sidelines who sees things others, ie; the fans, rarely see. The real question is whether his vision of the team he wants will morph into reality, as the season plays itself out.
Overall though, I see JG, Jesse, and Mintz having big years, while Symir, Benny, and a couple of the frosh, maybe Taylor, Brown, and/or Bunch(?), fill in the remaining gaps. I also expect the portal transfer center, whose name escapes me & I'm too lazy to look up, will get a few minutes backing up Jesse every now and again.
We all know JB's formula- he's worked it to great success over many years. He'll have 7 core guys and the rest will eat dust the rest of the way. And regardless of how the season plays out, expect a number of transfers next year, most likely Copeland, a maybe fed up Benny, and probably one of the bench-warming bigs. JMHO
Man……Joe’s not better than GMac. Eric. Jonny. And I’m solely talking about scoring. We’re in for an awful long year if we’re expecting him to be our Steph Curry….who is the Warriors PG. Joe is more Klay than Steph, if he’s playing to his strengths.

Man……Joe’s not better than GMac. Eric. Jonny. And I’m solely talking about scoring. We’re in for an awful long year if we’re expecting him to be our Steph Curry….who is the Warriors PG. Joe is more Klay than Steph, if he’s playing to his strengths.
It would be interesting to have seen Joe play with the players GMac played with.

wide open...i think joe is the best shooter of those you named.

gmac was a good player but his shot percentages without carmelo were pretty low relative to his legacy. 34% junior/senior year from 3.

fwiw - gmacs vlume went up every season and his shot % went down every successive season of his syr career...JG3 volume has actually decreased every season thus far and his % has gone up every season...last year shooting over 40% from 3.

Guess what people. You don’t need to like your coach..didn’t like most of my coaches growing up. I feel much differently now

wide open...i think joe is the best shooter of those you named.

gmac was a good player but his shot percentages without carmelo were pretty low relative to his legacy. 34% junior/senior year from 3.

fwiw - gmacs vlume went up every season and his shot % went down every successive season of his syr career...JG3 volume has actually decreased every season thus far and his % has gone up every season...last year shooting over 40% from 3.
Gerry quicker, better ball handler, finisher. Shot 38% from 3 as a soph playing mostly off the ball.

And yeah, he struggled trying to do it all later in his career. Joe probably will too if that’s what he’s asked to do.

Hopefully Judah will be so good that he doesn’t have to try to carry the load like that.

Greg Kohls averaged almost 27 points on 21.8 shots per game in 1972. The game hasn’t changed much since then, has it?

It’s changed a lot. The 3 point shot for example. Can you imagine Kid Kohl’s if there was a 3 point line? He would have averaged 30+ easily. So you’re thinking Joe could average 30ppg? That would be cool.

Gerry quicker, better ball handler, finisher. Shot 38% from 3 as a soph playing mostly off the ball.

And yeah, he struggled trying to do it all later in his career. Joe probably will too if that’s what he’s asked to do.

Hopefully Judah will be so good that he doesn’t have to try to carry the load like that.
yeah...somewhat similar players though for sure.

I would predict the same - if Joe's volume increases significantly...his % will likely suffer significantly as well

...not really going out on a limb there...thats the way it works with almost all players...but hopefully there is some balance in terms of what shots he is taking and getting...i.e. many wide open shots

Having both Judah and Symir should really limit Joe's ball handling responsibilities. Although his 90% free throw shooting may mean he is given the ball in late game situations.

Having both Judah and Symir should really limit Joe's ball handling responsibilities. Although his 90% free throw shooting may mean he is given the ball in late game situations.

Agreed, which is good. I brought up ball handling more in regards to going by people and getting to the basket and finishing - I don’t see him efficiently scoring points that way.

Will be interesting to see if we can free him up with some of the stuff we use to run for Rautins and Devendorf?

Agreed, which is good. I brought up ball handling more in regards to going by people and getting to the basket and finishing - I don’t see him efficiently scoring points that way.

Will be interesting to see if we can free him up with some of the stuff we use to run for Rautins and Devendorf?
Rautins was tremendous off screens - set and shoot so quick. Hopefully we can see something similar.

Greg Kohls averaged almost 27 points on 21.8 shots per game in 1972. The game hasn’t changed much since then, has it?
I once played in a pickup game with him when I was a student. I was not covering him, which was good because it would have destroyed my self-esteem for life. He was only an inch taller than me but wow. Just wow. He was hitting shots from the quad, from Cortland, from Binghamton...

It was one thing for me to watch him from the stands in Manley but to see it up close and personal was mind-blowing.

For my money, the greatest shooter in SU history and I have a feeling my buddy Bees will agree with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom