Preseason Practice... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

9. SYRACUSE: The Orange are the third ACC school in as many years to elevate an assistant and former program star to succeed a Hall of Fame coach. Unlike UNC’s Hubert Davis in 2021 and Duke’s Scheyer last year, Adrian Autry did not inherit a championship-caliber roster.

Yawn. No he didn't he just took the time to build a much improved roster on paper.
Most all of these guys are lazy with their pre season rankings. Take the big names and recycle with maybe a dark horse or two you throw in. Honestly the only decent analysis both from using last year, this year and looking below the surface was the field of 68 guys. Otherwise it's people spending 10 minutes or less on 90 pct of the cbb programs and putting paragraph together.

I mean for one Clemson... nothing against Joe but they are close to the least athletic team in the conference not far from what we were the year before last.

Last edited:
Well, compared to other programs, our practices had become a joke in recent years. We never threatened breaking the rules on “how many hours we were allowed to practice.”

This goes back a few years. Glad to see we’re working the kids hard again.
Which is inexplicable. Did we execute so well that taking it easy made sense? It sounds like AA is increasing the intensity inside the program.

Well, compared to other programs, our practices had become a joke in recent years. We never threatened breaking the rules on “how many hours we were allowed to practice.”

This goes back a few years. Glad to see we’re working the kids hard again.
Boeheim was one of the best in-game strategic coaches in the past few decades. Problem was, we weren’t equipped with talent to be at the top end when we had close games.

I expect us to be frustrated with some Autry in-game decisions as the comp is at the highest end. But we will have more talent and more will.

This year, especially the first 60 days, will be a little roller coaster-sequel. I suspect next year, we will crush it and be top 15.

Boeheim was one of the best in-game strategic coaches in the past few decades. Problem was, we weren’t equipped with talent to be at the top end when we had close games.

I expect us to be frustrated with some Autry in-game decisions as the comp is at the highest end. But we will have more talent and more will.

This year, especially the first 60 days, will be a little roller coaster-sequel. I suspect next year, we will crush it and be top 15.
He was, but the players didn't have 40+ years of experience. You don't go light at practice while cutting practices short and then get pissed when guys don't execute because things aren't muscle memory yet, especially when a revolving door of new faces is learning a system they've never run before.

Man I hope we beat Tennessee. I want to see how real we are right off the bat. Perfect situation for a huge test with no real risk if anything goes wrong because there are no expectations.

I cannot wait.

He was, but the players didn't have 40+ years of experience. You don't go light at practice while cutting practices short and then get pissed when guys don't execute because things aren't muscle memory yet, especially when a revolving door of new faces is learning a system they've never run before.
So Fax Boeheim of your displeasure…

Man I hope we beat Tennessee. I want to see how real we are right off the bat. Perfect situation for a huge test with no real risk if anything goes wrong because there are no expectations.

I cannot wait.
Regardless of our team I will be very shocked if that Purdue duo ends up as good as people and talking them to be.

Just read this because I'm still in football season mode.

I can't overstate how THRILLED I am to read about the intensity, conditioning, attention to detail, players talking about (and devoting significant practice time) to all the intricacies involved in M2M and the the emphasis on understanding all the concepts.

I'm certain they will be better on half court offense because they will now be running against players that understand how to play intense M2M in practice. Really impressed with Red so far. Fingers crossed that he will be a good in game coach.

I cannot wait.

Those guards put up some good numbers last year. When they faced talented and athletic guards they came down to earth. That tweet is a little misleading as it's not like those are anything more than solid when it's two players combined over two games.

I don’t.
It will be a barometer of McLeod's progress. If Edey goes for 30 and 15, and fouls McLeod out in 15 minutes, well, we know a bit more where we stand as a team.

If McLeod keeps him contained, say 18 and 7 and we win, well, that would be amazing. And quite portentous.

McLeod has height and weight numbers we've literally never seen. With him, we have the best chance of containing a beast like Edey than we've had in a long time.

Imagine playing Purdue with Dolezaj in the middle! :vomit:

It will be a barometer of McLeod's progress. If Edey goes for 30 and 15, and fouls McLeod out in 15 minutes, well, we know a bit more where we stand as a team.

If McLeod keeps him contained, say 18 and 7 and we win, well, that would be amazing. And quite portentous.

McLeod has height and weight numbers we've literally never seen. With him, we have the best chance of containing a beast like Edey than we've had in a long time.

Imagine playing Purdue with Dolezaj in the middle! :vomit:
The problem is that this isn’t some mystery guy, he’s played in the ACC for two years and has shown very little. There is enough data to slow down expectations.

Just read this because I'm still in football season mode.

I can't overstate how THRILLED I am to read about the intensity, conditioning, attention to detail, players talking about (and devoting significant practice time) to all the intricacies involved in M2M and the the emphasis on understanding all the concepts.

I'm certain they will be better on half court offense because they will now be running against players that understand how to play intense M2M in practice. Really impressed with Red so far. Fingers crossed that he will be a good in game coach.
Agreed. Hoping to see some added strength training for our bigs as well. Seems like Red is doing all the right things. Looking forward to seeing some games, how he coaches, his rotations, in game adjustments. Actually first time in a while I am looking forward to hoops.

The problem is that this isn’t some mystery guy, he’s played in the ACC for two years and has shown very little. There is enough data to slow down expectations.

Fwiw its the second time they've faced off. Edey smoked him in game 1 though. Edey is one of those players who now that he's figured things out and was so dominant could work against him. Only so much you can do at 7-4 300. The fact he didn't go to the NBA says something to validate that for me at least.

Our athleticism in that matchup would matter way more. Let Edey go 30/20 vs Mcleod and their guards have fits and that's just fine.Not saying we win but it's not Edey I would be focused on.

They lost to a 16 seed with the same team for the most part. Could just as easily seeing Few have a very good plan and win that first game anyways

Would argue that Westry, QC and Taylor are small forwards in a M to M offense. Think they could guard a 6’7” forward no problem. If the other team has a 6’9”-6’10” forward we will need Benny or MB to play well. Otherwise think we will be fine on the boards. Biggest worry is the new M to M scheme and learning curve, switching, etc,,,Hope we play a bunch of junk defense w/ presses and mix it up. With the depth we can matchup on small ball, bigs, etc…

If we are switching from a base defense of 2-3 zone to man-to-man, I don't think they are going to have a lot of teaching time to install box-and-one and other stuff like that. Man defense has a lot of intricacies in the way it can be played.

If we are switching from a base defense of 2-3 zone to man-to-man, I don't think they are going to have a lot of teaching time to install box-and-one and other stuff like that. Man defense has a lot of intricacies in the way it can be played.
All I would say to that is, this isn’t the first time they have played m2m I’m sure they are still learning but far from newbies

Yeah, I think the beginning is going to be pretty ugly at times. The schedule is ridiculous, and the style appears to be much different even with the continuity.

Those who wanted us to look external will probably become circling sharks.

But we'll improve as the season goes on. Assignments will catch up to the athleticism.

Yeah, I think the beginning is going to be pretty ugly at times. The schedule is ridiculous, and the style appears to be much different even with the continuity.

Those who wanted us to look external will probably become circling sharks.

But we'll improve as the season goes on. Assignments will catch up to the athleticism.
We haven't played a game and there's posters already yearning for Pitino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom