Preseason Practice... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

I think our guard talent is ridiculous. Play any of them with Brown and we can be competitive. I’m less sold on the forwards and bigs.
I love the ability of our guards to attack off the bounce. JJ and Juda should be able to get there defenders on their hips and attack, which is where Brown could be huge because he has suck a good feel for the game and where to be around the basket. Bell, Taylor and hopefully Benny can be dangerous for kickout 3s as well. The big question is can JJ and Juda be a threat from 3. If so we could be a very dangerous squad.

We’ll see how it goes, but not being stuck to the zone is a big difference maker in terms of being able to play smaller players at the 3 or 4.
Fair enough... It was very difficult to play small in the zone, but a strong enough player can box out a taller player in man to man.

I recall somebody mentioning Taylor playing Williams well in the scrimmage. I'm hopeful this means Taylor is playing big beyond expectations, and not that Williams is playing smaller.

We've had situations where guys looked really good playing against crappy teammates in these scrimmages in the past, only to reveal their actual lack of effectiveness in games.

I guess my pendulum has flipped to being a little worried about this team... I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm usually kind of an optimist.

Last edited:
Fair enough... It was very difficult to play small in the zone, but a strong enough player can box out a taller player in man to man.

I recall somebody mentioning Taylor playing Williams well in the scrimmage. I'm hopeful this means Taylor is playing big beyond expectations, and not that Williams is playing smaller.

We've had situations where guys liked really good playing against crappy teammates in these scrimmages in the past, only to reveal their actual lack of effectiveness m in games.

I guess my pendulum has flipped to being a little worried about this team... I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm usually kind of an optimist.

One coach for such a long time no longer there. It's about the element of change and the unknown. The game has changed a great deal to be much more guard dominated. You've got 2/3 combos playing the 4 spot and average sized PFs playing the 5. I'd say it's just that element of change that let's doubt creep in as the change taking true effect lingers close

Westry, Copeland and Taylor are all big enough to rebound and play like small forwards. I guess the worry would be if we play a team with 6’7”- 6’9” bruisers and guys get pushed around. Would have to go big with Brown, Benny, Bell

Westry, Copeland and Taylor are all big enough to rebound and play like small forwards. I guess the worry would be if we play a team with 6’7”- 6’9” bruisers and guys get pushed around. Would have to go big with Brown, Benny, Bell

Against teams with a bruising big man you will see McLeod at 7-4 265. It's those teams as well you hit the lob against more. That chemistry will build more as the season progresses.

I'm somewhat amazed that Taylor seemed to be playing out of position at small forward last season, and now some are penciling him in at power forward minutes.

Amazing what a year's difference makes.
Honestly it very well may be his best path to playing time.

We've had situations where guys looked really good playing against crappy teammates in these scrimmages in the past, only to reveal their actual lack of effectiveness in games.

I think the guards are shaping up nicely, but we are not hearing that any of the forwards or centers are blowing anyone away during the preseason. I understand where you're coming from.

Can this group of guys be physical enough to comprise a quality group of forwards? I see we have several potential 3 point shooters, a couple guys who can get offensive rebounds, and a couple of them who can make a nice pass.

The centers, well, if people are healthy we have tons of size, rim protection and fouls to give. Big physical guys, for once. If we can get 8 points and 8 rebounds from any three of them (McLeod, Hima, or Patterson), along with around 4 blocks among the guys who rotate at center, we will have a pretty good shot at being a pretty good team.

Maybe Benny clicks, maybe he doesn't. He has to bring effort, play defense and rebound. We have too many guys for him to get 30 minutes as a passenger. He's going to have be better than he's been so far, and more consistent, or else Westry will eat his minutes, or one of the other 3 forwards, depending on who is the hot hand.

Maybe Bell brings more to his game than just shooting - or maybe he turns into a Southerland type of player. So far, Taylor has reminded me of those stocky shooters, like Glenn Sekunda or Sean Kerins or Marius Janunlis. He sounds like he understands that if he can play defense he will get chances.

Copeland is a wildcard. He's the most playground kind of player we have. If he can just not self-destruct 4 or 5 times during a game, he could be pretty special. He has that star quality, just like Judah does, but different. He's never going to be a shooter, but I could totally see him becoming a Josh Pace kind of player for us. And I would be very happy with that.

Jake was saying he could see Maliq Brown playing a lot of time at center. That can only happen if the other guys are meeting or exceeding expectations at forward, or else we are going to need his defense and rebounding on the baseline to help avoid being manhandled inside this year. The forwards have to be tough enough for the ACC, not just Colgate, if we hope to see Maliq Brown at Center this year.

And I agree with the premise - if we have good enough forwards to "play small" with a 6-10 Sam Perkins kind of guy at center, we are going to be athletic as all get out. That might wind up our best lineup, something like Judah & JJ at guard, two of Westry, Bell or Benny Williams at forward and then Maliq at Center. I could see that being a great lineup against certain teams.

It feels like we have a lot of talented players on this team. I hope the coaches can get the pieces to fit, and that they are able to make effective in-game adjustments. I'm quietly very excited about this team. If we can get rebounding and defense from our forwards, I could see us beating some very good teams by December.

So don't want to start a new thread but two weeks away and seeing the tip off highlights/write ups here goes a first shot at projecting the outputs this year.

Judah- 15.1 ppg, 5.4 apg, 3.2 rpg 2.2 spg
JJ - 16.5 ppg, 2.2 apg, 3.5 rpg, 1.5 spg
Bell- 8.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg
Benny- 9.1 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2 apg, 1 bpg
Mcleod- 4 ppg, 5 rpg, 2.5 bpg
Brown - 8 ppg, 6 rpg, 2 apg, 1.5 spg, 1 bpg
Copeland- 6 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg
Westry- 5 ppg, 3 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1 spg
Taylor- 5 ppg, 2 rpg
Cuffe - 2ppg
Hima- 1.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1 bpg
Carey/Patterson- garbage time only.

This is based on a number of things. I think that you have about 7 guys that will lead the team in scoring this year at least one game maybe 8 but likely 7. Given the versatility being preached I don't see a team with a ton of guys averaging double figures. Faster pace of play I expect we can land around 80 ppg given more possessions. All based on not seeing a game yet and only what's been shared and the snippets of video

So don't want to start a new thread but two weeks away and seeing the tip off highlights/write ups here goes a first shot at projecting the outputs this year.

Bell- 8.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg
Taylor- 5 ppg, 2 rpg
Cuffe - 2ppg

This is based on a number of things. I think that you have about 7 guys that will lead the team in scoring this year at least one game maybe 8 but likely 7. Given the versatility being preached I don't see a team with a ton of guys averaging double figures. Faster pace of play I expect we can land around 80 ppg given more possessions. All based on not seeing a game yet and only what's been shared and the snippets of video
Very optimistic on team scoring... UAB was 13th in Division 1 last season scoring 80.7.

Are you expecting extreme pace driving up scoring, or very good offensive efficiency from our young team?

Similarly, 5.5 blocks per game would have gotten us 3rd last year.

One thing I very much would like to see is us leading the P5 in free throw attempts per game. Texas A&M had 24.9 last season. Alabama came second among P5 with 22.9 last season.

Mintz was great at drawing fouls last season, and our guards should be able to draw lots of fouls on dribble penetration.

Last edited:
I think Benny is capable of a consistent 15ppg, 6+ boards. If we get that, we can be a top 20 team. I expect we’re going to play faster than in the past, with more possessions per game, less half-courtliness and plodding. Lots of opportunities for Benny to be the beneficiary of defensive breakdowns, collapses on the guards, and a more freewheeling approach.

[crossies]
Not sure he will get enough shots to average 15.

Bell- 8.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg
Taylor- 5 ppg, 2 rpg
Cuffe - 2ppg

Cuffe and Westry are both going to play more, and score more, than you expect.

Cuffe and Westry are both going to play more, and score more, than you expect.
I think it is going to be interesting/challenging for Red to get those 2 minutes with JJ and Judah eating up minutes. I know everyone thinks Westry at the 3 and that makes sense. My belief is that Maliq will prove he needs to be on the court so someone in the front court is going to see fewer minutes, I think Cuffe and Westry are going to earn minutes - delicate balance for Red.

They have threaded the needle nicely with deference for JB and the painfully obvious understanding playing 2-3 zone 100% was a terrible plan.

They have. The intensity, energy and general competitive spirit, paired with having the depth for practice to be high level is huge. These things translate generally speaking.

Donna knocked it out of the park. This is the best article about practices I've ever seen. It's really rare to see players give frank answers to question about what happens in a closed door practice. I'd love to see articles like this weekly, but I'm sure it was a one time thing.

The podcast was good too with her and Mike. Love to see this on the regular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom