Preseason Practice... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

That was a fun watch. Love the energy. McLeod can move...

And Benny was even smiling! ;)

(Although he did doink one dunk pretty badly. )

I *LOVE* that every. one. of these dudes, is a PLUS athlete.

Dunno how our D will be
(that's what she said - or he, not that there's anything wrong with that :p )
but when you start with athletic dudes, giving strong effort, good things will generally happen.

And we're deep enough that if anybody decides to lollygag on D, that Red has plenty of other guys who are raring to get into the rotation, who will likely play hard.

Dunno how our D will be
but when you start with athletic dudes, giving strong effort, good things will generally happen.

And we're deep enough that if anybody decides to lollygag on D, that Red has plenty of other guys who are raring to get into the rotation, who will likely play hard.

One thing we do know is that Chance is a high level defender as is Judah and Maliq and Naheem then a good rim protector. Lots of athleticism and ability on that end of the court down roster as well. That said we have a good start in guys who are for certain good defenders to begin with.

I'd imagine that Carey is a 5/4

And Brown will prolly be a 4/5 for us this year, matchup dependent.

Also - Q, Chance, and JT are all 2/3 wings, so they could play SG or SF.
I agree, I am just going by the practice groups in the video. I thought JT would be practicing with the forwards, but he was with the guards

The best thing about this video is they are practicing at game speed, not slow motion. High energy and intensity. The biggest thing for Red to learn is how to deal with his team during adversity. It could be during a game or after a couple of losses. Consistency is very important.

Nothing is a guarantee but I can't help to look at who Red is and his background as a source of being able to navigate through adversity. It will be his first time as HC but it's not like he's not seen it first hand the past few seasons. He's got a strong bench of coaches to work with too.

I agree, I am just going by the practice groups in the video. I thought JT would be practicing with the forwards, but he was with the guards

He needs to be a guard honestly if he is going to maximize his potential and make an impact. A wing guard if we can call it so much which meaning it's a hybrid role but still a guard.

I still think he has plenty to offer. He's a more athletic and stronger player in the mold of Buddy. Come off that screen stop, pop and splash. Attack a closeout and pull up or dish it. Find your spot, be shot ready, catch and shoot. His game includes that little turnaround but in this offense I hope we never need to see that. It's good he has it in his bag but shouldn't ever come to that unless we get some end of half or game scenarios where it could apply. Efficiency has to be his game with a heavy dose of physicality on D and the boards. Also- Justin should be someone to run guard to guard screen action. He should be an asset in helping teammates get open too.

That practice video is fun.

The dunk, baseline J, pick and roll drill looks cool.

I don't know how much Carey will play this season but if he gets an open run to the rim in the Dome the place is going to explode.

Fun way to showcase energy and athleticism without showing much that's useful to opponents.

One interesting thing is that without a point of reference to compare - McLeod just as easily looks like any 6-9 /6-10 guy the way he moves. Until you see him next to someone you don't see 7-4.

Anyone else notice the massive hitch before JJs shot?? Wow what is that and someone please make it go away

Looked to me like he didn't catch it clean the one time and then adjusted and put it up from there.

His shot looks clean and it's not really a true hitch. Battle and Scoop had a true hitch in their shots yet both managed pretty well. JJ's shot is now where near where they were.

Last edited:
Last comment in a run of over analysis of 8 minutes on film is that in the snippets - Westry's jumper looked pretty good and is moving very well. Didn't see a lot of Cuffe doing much other than a few mid range jumpers. Benny looks like a different kid in terms of just enjoying himself, also when he lands a few of those in a packed dome ... hooboy.

Last comment in a run of over analysis of 8 minutes on film is that in the snippets - Westry's jumper looked pretty good and is moving very well. Didn't see a lot of Cuffe doing much other than a few mid range jumpers. Benny looks like a different kid in terms of just enjoying himself, also when he lands a few of those in a packed dome ... hooboy.
Thought the same thing when I saw Benny. Hard to remember him ever smiling last year.

That practice video is fun.

The dunk, baseline J, pick and roll drill looks cool.

I don't know how much Carey will play this season but if he gets an open run to the rim in the Dome the place is going to explode.
That would be electric. Would love to see a guy who averages 2 minutes per game get on Sports Center top 10. A windmill would make the dome pop.

Dunno how our D will be

Literally all I've wanted over the last few years are plus athletes.

Looked to me like he didn't catch it clean the one time and then adjusted and put it up from there.

His shot looks clean and it's not really a true hitch. Battle and Scoop had a true hitch in their shots yet both managed pretty well. JJ's shot is now where near where they were.
I didn’t say the hitch was in his shot. It’s before his shot. He does it more than once in that video.

I didn’t say the hitch was in his shot. It’s before his shot. He does it more than once in that video.

I knew what you meant and was responding to it and it's what I was referring to with Tyus and Scoop who had that so called hitch. JJ's process looks fluid. His release point could still be higher for my liking but let's see it in action first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom