Presidents Cup | Syracusefan.com

Presidents Cup

this is always fun, sorta like Ryder Cup Light.

went to the last one for a few days to walk around.

certainly...CANNOT LOSE THIS.

The US Team is Stacked,, and like recent years the International Team is way down. Back in some years around 2000, the International Team was just as strong in the world rankings as the US team. Now it is not even close.

Hopefully a small sample size will keep this event competitive until the last day. As an "International" I will be cheering for Adam Hadwin and the international team for a massive upset.

The USA to win this at -275, seems like good odds.
The Internationals last won in 1998
In the 9 tournaments since then, the USA has won 8 times, and there was a tie in 2003.
In 2003, when they tied, the internationals had the #2, #3, #6, and #7 players in the world. They also had 8 players in the world top 20, and a ninth ranked #22.

In contrast this year's team only has world #18, #20, and #21.

prime time in the US is correct?

Works out well. It's 18 hours difference to Melbourne So assuming the events finish at 6 at night, it would run between noon to midnight each day in the East Coast.

i see it comes on the air 5:30pm wed, 7pm thurs 3pm fri. 6pm sat.

i see it comes on the air 5:30pm wed, 7pm thurs 3pm fri. 6pm sat.

Sounds about right. (my noon was a little early... that would make it 6:00am tee time over there),
If my calculations are right it probably ends between 11:00pm to 1:00 am then.

The fact Tiger is a playing captain tells us this isn’t the Ryder Cup.
We really need some teams to develop chemistry for the Ryder Cup.

Thomas/Speith love each other but at the Ryder Cup the team that worked was Reed/Speith.
Really hoping for some teams to develops.
No Koepka means find somebody who can play with Dustin Johnson.

The US should have 2 bedrock teams for the Ryder Cup.
Johnson/Koepka
Speith/Reed

Since no Koepka and Speith find partners who can play with Johnson/Reed.

Thomas/Speith love each other but at the Ryder Cup the team that worked was Reed/Speith.

Johnson/Koepka
Speith/Reed

Speith is going to have a hard time qualifying for the Ryder Cup team if he does not improve. At #43 in the world and falling. Also, I don't think they will ride Dustin Johnson much this year. He is rusty.

I would try some of the younger players together. Maybe Cantlay / Schauffele

I do think people overrate pairings however. It comes down to who is playing best. It is more important to have players that are solid at the Ryder Cup. Europe does not really have any historical pairings right now. Just a lot of players with good Ryder Cup history that they can team up. And the US has a number of scarred players that are getting phased out over the next 5 years or have moved on (Mickelson / Woods / Furyk / Stricker / Kuchar)

Speith is going to have a hard time qualifying for the Ryder Cup team if he does not improve. At #43 in the world and falling. Also, I don't think they will ride Dustin Johnson much this year. He is rusty.

I would try some of the younger players together. Maybe Cantlay / Schauffele

I do think people overrate pairings however. It comes down to who is playing best. It is more important to have players that are solid at the Ryder Cup. Europe does not really have any historical pairings right now. Just a lot of players with good Ryder Cup history that they can team up. And the US has a number of scarred players that are getting phased out over the next 5 years or have moved on (Mickelson / Woods / Furyk / Stricker / Kuchar)
Molinari/Fleetwood killed the US
Stenson/Rose as well.

Schauffele is my pick for top use player at 6-1

hard to know who to pick with no idea who will play the most matches. finau has played well before and has some value at 10-1

Johnson/Koepka
Speith/Reed

i think we’ll see tiger team with Thomas.

Molinari/Fleetwood killed the US
Stenson/Rose as well.

Molinari / Fleetwood did but they were not an established pair. Neither were Stenson / Rose before 2018 (but I could be wrong on that). Europe just mix and matches different teams from event to event, and they work. It's more the makeup of the individuals rather than a great pair in my view. But JMO.

I don't think Tiger will play more than once a day on Day 2 and Day 3 due to his captain duties. Might even sit out Day 1. Sort of takes away from a potential Tiger/Thomas pairing, which I agree could have worked.

If Tiger is playing a little less, I can see himself using himself as more of a utility guy in pairs play. Playing with guys that are difficult to pair (DeChambeau) or lower tier players that only play 1 or 2 pairs matches (Kuchar)

As an FYI, since I forgot the format for the President's Cup is a little different. Only 2 players sit in the first two sessions.

The first day is 10 players (5 matches, and only 2 sit... in the Ryder Cup 4 sit each session)
The second day is 10 players (same as above)

Day 3 has two sessions of 8 players like Day 2 of the Ryder Cup.

also a tweak everyone has to play twice on the first 3 days now,, cant hide guys as much

I took Cantlay (+700) and Cameron Smith (+800) as the respective best players on both teams.

This was either before Smith's hard comments about Reed (or he had just made them and I missed it). I regret making that pick... I think it will throw Smith's game off. And Els is thinking the same as he is sitting him in the first day.

The "Lay's: should be a good team for the US,

Seems that the US has set up the following as their top teams that they hope to ride during the PC.

Tiger / Thomas
Cantlay / Schauffele

Although they are all fairly strong. The other 3 teams playing in day 1 have question marks:
Dechambeau - Personality, Inconsistent Form
Reed - Controversy (of course it could go the other way on the plus side)
Dustin Johnson - Injury.

I was looking for some value in top player too.

Thomas will get the most run.. Dont see tiger/johnson playing 4-5 times

Cantlay / Schauffele looked to be the younger guys who will get the play to me

but i threw some on Finau just for the 10-1 money

No one has mentioned the course so far. This is going to be fun to watch. That course is great.

Not a good start. Lost 4-1. Only Reed, Cantlay and Tiger played well. Some guys were pretty bad. Woodland didn’t have a birdie all day and Schauffele only had one. There may have been a couple others just as bad.

Hmmmm, Tiger picking the best player as his partner, although he did carry Justin the first day.

i think we’ll see tiger team with Thomas.

really though, of the 20 guys playing only a handful actually played well.. the internationals did a better job of spreading out their wild play where as the US had multiple holes where both were out of the hole most of the time. Finau and reed played well down the stretch which is a good sign. Woodland hopefully woke up.. DJ just missed some putts, that eagle miss was huge.

Schauffele play ok not great not awful but he didnt putt well either.

Bryson hasnt played well in awhile