Pretty sad | Syracusefan.com

Pretty sad

What’s really sad about SU recruiting is there isn’t any. The basketball recruiting forum has been basically nothing. I’ve never seen it as bad as it is now.
Not sure what you want, 2024 news isn’t exciting and it’s well known 2023 will, at most, be 1 player

Hopefully they portal a center, I don’t think it’s worth picking up another project on top of hima and Carey
I felt that way before, but I think Hima looks like he’ll be fine?

He’s already looking like a very good rebounder and potentially elite defender. He’s had a few rough moments where he’s blown easy ones, but I think he’ll at least be able to finish around the basket as he gains experience…he’s got the athleticism and size to do so.

Might be better off trying to bring in a freshman who can compete with Carey for the backup spot, and hope at least one of the two develops into the eventual starter a few years down the road?

I felt that way before, but I think Hima looks like he’ll be fine?

He’s already looking like a very good rebounder and potentially elite defender. He’s had a few rough moments where he’s blown easy ones, but I think he’ll at least be able to finish around the basket as he gains experience…he’s got the athleticism and size to do so.

Might be better off trying to bring in a freshman who can compete with Carey for the backup spot, and hope at least one of the two develops into the eventual starter a few years down the road?
Thats not a bad take, especially if hima can bulk up to like 240, he might be able to go up a bit stronger offensively

Twelve players on scholarship, none of them exhausting eligibility this year thanks to covid. Obviously there will be attrition, but no certainty who, or at what positions. Couldn't close the deal with any of our priority targets, so do you just take roster fillers at this point, or save a spot or two for the portal?

Twelve players on scholarship, none of them exhausting eligibility this year thanks to covid. Obviously there will be attrition, but no certainty who, or at what positions. Couldn't close the deal with any of our priority targets, so do you just take roster fillers at this point, or save a spot or two for the portal?
Let's hope that saving a few spots for the portal while waiting to see how the roster attrition shakes out IS the plan.

What was the excuse 5 years ago?
If you ask people they’ll say sanctions. I’m in the boat that a change needs to be made (and should have already been made) but the two reasons I listed are, IMO, why we don’t have any recruiting news in 2023.

I think the uncertainty part is huge. Nobody has any idea when Boeheim is going to retire, and that makes it easy to negatively recruit.
I think the uncertainty part is huge. Nobody has any idea when Boeheim is going to retire, and that makes it easy to negatively recruit.
I agree 100% And I think there should be there should be a announcement at some point from JB as well as the athletic director because they haven't said that before actually twice and you still here so you got to have some kind of announcement from his boss to give that announcement of some kind of levity

I mean….would you come here if you were a top 50 player? I love Cuse but I certainly wouldnt

I mean….would you come here if you were a top 50 player? I love Cuse but I certainly wouldnt
Because at most places top 50 kids are rotation bench players…. At Cuse you could be top 75 and start lol.

I mean it makes sense we are going to have to make a coaching change. If we hire someone good they will bring a few guys with them.

I’m happy to bring everyone back that’s on the roster so long as their roles aren’t set in stone.

JB wasn’t bringing an elite class ever again even if he was younger the way he ran guys off after the sweet 16 and added Jimmy was never gonna sit well with recruits.

well, we landed two top 50 recruits the past two recruiting cycles, so there’s that… Do you mean for 2023? I don’t disagree that JB has allowed recruiting to stagnate for years, refuses to truly mine the portal for difference-making talent, and the uncertainty about a succession plan has become untenable. But even with that, we’re still pulling in some highly rated recruits. It’s just not consistent enough, almost solely b/c of JB.

I hope we bring in a center, but only because I hope Carey will be a 4.

It’s going to be difficult to get a true big to come in if they see Hima playing effectively. If anything, I bet we get another tweener who isn’t actually effective as a center—but is spry enough to sprint to the corners….

A 2G is prolly the most pressing need. But, to play for who? In what style? For a team that can’t be counted on to make the tournament? Tough sell.

God help us if we run this roster back

I agree. There are pieces to work with, but definitely need to bring in a star forward. If Judah stays along with the rest of the freshman class and Hima, then we have some talent.
Either Benny develops, or we bring in a 4 man who can give us 12 and 8 with good defense. That’s how I see it.

Would love a B.Triche type guard too, but that’s probably getting greedy.

Does anyone really believe that the recruiting situation will change overnight with the introduction of a new head coach especially one outside the Syracuse Family?

I don’t. It will take a new head coach a minimum of 2 years, possibly 3 years to build up their own recruiting following? That does not mean that they will be able to attract the top 50-100 recruits.

Does anyone really believe that the recruiting situation will change overnight with the introduction of a new head coach especially one outside the Syracuse Family?

I don’t. It will take a new head coach a minimum of 2 years, possibly 3 years to build up their own recruiting following? That does not mean that they will be able to attract the top 50-100 recruits.
Not if the new coach has established connections.

Not if the new coach has established connections.
Exactly. I know he wasn’t a head coach but think about the connections Troy Weaver had and how quickly he got us into it with Billy and Melo. I still believe if Weaver had stayed a couple more seasons we would have gotten Durant and Michael Beasley as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom