Pretty sad | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pretty sad

Not if the new coach has established connections.
Even if the new coach has established connections, it will take time. Among the various factors any recruit takes into account in selecting a school include the coach (player’s trust & confidence, coaching experience/record, etc), the school (location, reputation, match with players’ education aspirations (???), and familiarity/comfortability with projected teammates (meaning how they feel they fit in the new team environment).

Even if the new coach has established connections, it will take time. Among the various factors any recruit takes into account in selecting a school include the coach (player’s trust & confidence, coaching experience/record, etc), the school (location, reputation, match with players’ education aspirations (???), and familiarity/comfortability with projected teammates (meaning how they feel they fit in the new team environment).
I think the right coach would hit the ground running with recruiting. Especially if we have decent NIL money to offer.

Not if the new coach has established connections.
Exactly and if they have the right personality

We are seeing coaches in new locations beat us out for recruits before they even coach a game at their new school. Kids can be easily swayed.

Next coach preferably has good relations with any or all of the following, NEPSAC schools, NYC AAU programs, NJ Prep and HSs, etc.

I find it incredibly frustrating that there is nothing brewing with any 23 or 24 recruits right now and that coming here is just tumbleweeds.

And the ugly truth is that for all of the chest beating that JB has done about the 22 class, we missed out on all of the guys we really prioritized like gayle, dior, westry, clingan, starling etc. and we lucked into Judah when he decommitted. The only recruits that you can really hang your hat on from that class as far as rankings go are Taylor and Bell. i’m not saying the other three guys won’t pan out because I think they will. But to make this just a 23 or 24 issue is wrong.

And I think it is beyond obvious that the issue is JB’s future. The nonsense about the ironclad succession plan he referenced is worthless because nobody knows what the hell it is and recruits can’t be sold on it while it is recruited against.

Look at how Duke handled the succession. We are doing just the opposite and it is killing us. If you don’t have a plan and there’s a vacuum of information that makes us the easiest sitting duck to recruit against.

The concerning part is why is this happening and who is doing anything to stop it?

Does anyone really believe that the recruiting situation will change overnight with the introduction of a new head coach especially one outside the Syracuse Family?

I don’t. It will take a new head coach a minimum of 2 years, possibly 3 years to build up their own recruiting following? That does not mean that they will be able to attract the top 50-100 recruits.
A good coach and recruiter can build a very competitive team in one year with the portal, if we hire the right one!

If we hire the right one.
How many times will you say that.

whoever is hired has to be the one right one or the phrase will change to if only we hired the right one!

Good luck to whomever is hired (they need to be really connected) because 2023 will be a rebuilding year where most of the 5 star recruits are accounted for and the players available from the portal are available for one real reason: they did not prove their worth at the college they leaving. This also does not take into account any attrition from the seven players that came in 2022 Because there is a new coach.

I hope we bring in a center, but only because I hope Carey will be a 4.

It’s going to be difficult to get a true big to come in if they see Hima playing effectively. If anything, I bet we get another tweener who isn’t actually effective as a center—but is spry enough to sprint to the corners….

A 2G is prolly the most pressing need. But, to play for who? In what style? For a team that can’t be counted on to make the tournament? Tough sell.
Can't taylor be an effective 2

Personally think Mintz-Taylor-Bell-Brown with Copeland off the bench is a really nice core if they all stay here.

Need a combo guard that can play right away(portal IMO), and unless Benny really comes on strong this year we will need a bigger forward(again, portal would be nice). A freshman center would be nice. There’s just no way to know if Carey will ever be good. He looks a long ways away right now. Need someone to push him and back up Hima, and hopefully develop into a starter in a couple years.

Personally think Mintz-Taylor-Bell-Brown with Copeland off the bench is a really nice core if they all stay here.

Need a combo guard that can play right away(portal IMO), and unless Benny really comes on strong this year we will need a bigger forward(again, portal would be nice). A freshman center would be nice. There’s just no way to know if Carey will ever be good. He looks a long ways away right now. Need someone to push him and back up Hima, and hopefully develop into a starter in a couple years.
Rick Pitino approves of this post.

Carey isn’t a center.

So we’ll need a quality center in the portal. Can’t expect Hima to be a productive center offensively. Just can’t.

We’re gonna need a combo guard. A good one.

If a player or two transfer (always possible), we’ll need to find viable portal replacements.

Recruiting isn’t doing well. Just remember that.

whoever is hired has to be the one right one or the phrase will change to if only we hired the right one!

Good luck to whomever is hired (they need to be really connected) because 2023 will be a rebuilding year where most of the 5 star recruits are accounted for and the players available from the portal are available for one real reason: they did not prove their worth at the college they leaving. This also does not take into account any attrition from the seven players that came in 2022 Because there is a new coach.
One of the good things about missing so many prospects is that we have personal relationships with many players. I think over the next few years the transfer portal should be heavily used. Here is just a short list of players who aren’t getting a lot of run at their current schools and will likely be in the portal soon.

Portal Prospects
Mika Adams-Woods 6-3 Cincinnati (NY)
Chance Westry 6-6 Auburn (PA)
Roddy Gayle 6-5 Ohio State (NY)
Lance Ware 6-9 Kentucky (NJ)
Mac Etienne 6-10 UCLA (NY)
Riley Mulvey 6-11 Iowa (NY)

One of the good things about missing so many prospects is that we have personal relationships with many players. I think over the next few years the transfer portal should be heavily used. Here is just a short list of players who aren’t getting a lot of run at their current schools and will likely be in the portal soon.

Portal Prospects
Mika Adams-Woods 6-3 Cincinnati (NY)
Chance Westry 6-6 Auburn (PA)
Roddy Gayle 6-5 Ohio State (NY)
Lance Ware 6-9 Kentucky (NJ)
Mac Etienne 6-10 UCLA (NY)
Riley Mulvey 6-11 Iowa (NY)

Gayle and ware would be ideal

The right one is an outstanding coach who has the gravitas to build through the portal; that is the way now. Someone who is media savvy to sell the program. We have loads going for us and the turn around will happen if we don’t let this current state of affairs linger much longer!

In my opinion we are a program that does shouldn't have to take a project to replace Jesse Edwards next season we already have 2 and carry and whenever the guy all the guy's name is And we should it's good be able to find somebody to bring the same or close to what Joe brings to the table.

I am pleasantly surprised with the 5 Freshmen I have seen you are minzt is obvious that hes going to be a star And unfortunately a one and done unless Mr wiestman can Come in and help him come back and help improve his draft position If that is the case.

We all know we have seen plenty SU star players Jump the gun going to the NBA sooner than they should and in the end it doesn't work out for them.

One more thing I meant to add is that I really am impressed with how polished some of these guys offensive games are already and I love the athleticism. A far cry from what we have seen in the last couple of years

That is obviously a Stupid comment. That is probably what, game 5 in these freshmen careers and we were definitely not at the top of our games at that point.
Of course we are still not there yet but we are improving so fran making a statement like that 5 games into their career is just Ignorant!! But that's the media for ya!
A huge part of this team besides Joe and Jesse are all freshmen contributors , so pretty much they will take us as far as we go . Jesse and Joe can only do so much

Last edited:
In my opinion we are a program that does shouldn't have to take a project to replace Jesse Edwards next season we already have 2 and carry and whenever the guy all the guy's name is And we should it's good be able to find somebody to bring the same or close to what Joe brings to the table.

I am pleasantly surprised with the 5 Freshmen I have seen you are minzt is obvious that hes going to be a star And unfortunately a one and done unless Mr wiestman can Come in and help him come back and help improve his draft position If that is the case.

We all know we have seen plenty SU star players Jump the gun going to the NBA sooner than they should and in the end it doesn't work out for them.

One more thing I meant to add is that I really am impressed with how polished some of these guys offensive games are already and I love the athleticism. A far cry from what we have seen in the last couple of years
Don’t really need as many project guys when you can just portal a starting center for next year if Jesse leaves.

Don’t really need as many project guys when you can just portal a starting center for next year if Jesse leaves.
I am not in disagreement with that.
I'm saying that Agreeing with what you're saying at the same time that we should be able to do this through recruiting or the portal, either one with what Syracuse basketball has to offer.
Not a 100% sure But I know Syracuse basketball makes more money than just about everybody I know Kentucky and Duke are up there as well obviously but we gotta be at least top 5 I even looked at The numbers in a while

That is obviously a Stupid comment. That is probably what, game 5 in these freshmen careers and we were definitely not at the top of our games at that point.
Of course we are still not there yet but we are improving so fran making a statement like that 5 games into their career is just Ignorant!! But that's the media for ya!
A huge part of this team besides Joe and Jesse are all freshmen contributors , so pretty much they will take us as far as we go . Jesse and Joe can only do so much
I do have some hope for this team and the zone specifically with Jessie Edwards in the middle!!
When the zone of course has length at the top but when we have a long and Very good center on both sides of the ball like Jesse Edwards usually the zone is pretty effective and we have a good season. Now with so many freshmen that is gonna slow the progress of a progression I should say But I don't know I think that we could have something here.. I'm not gonna say we're gonna do this or gonna do that but like I said in history, Things could work in our favor

I think Fran likes the freshman. His point is that in most top 25 programs, most of our freshman (save for Judah and spot minutes for a couple of others) are developmental guys who will eventually become starters. We didn’t mine the portal for high level experienced talent (juniors and seniors) like we should have and could have. Illinois did, for example.

Last edited:
He is spot on. 1 freshman has high level D-1ability. Our only recruit last year hasn’t shown to be an ACC level talent.

I think Fran likes the freshman. His point is that in most programs most of our freshman (save for Judah and spot minutes for a couple of others) are developmental guys who will eventually become starters. We didn’t mine the portal for high level experienced talent (juniors and seniors) like we should have and could have. Illinois did.
Illinois’ freshman class is also better than ours and most of them play spot minutes outside of Skyy Clark.

Nobody on our staff recruits to a top 25 level.

Though I will say this years class is good. We need to be more consistent. So many misses or plan C resorting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom