Pretty strong statement from NC AD. | Syracusefan.com

Pretty strong statement from NC AD.

Crusty

Living Legend
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding conference affiliation for the University of North Carolina. Conference alignment is a topic of much discussion nationally these days and we understand that our fans are passionate and knowledgeable of their sports programs.

Carolina is a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference and we believe the ACC is the finest conference in the nation. The ACC has been our home for nearly 60 years and we want it to be our home for another 60 years at least. Our speculating on what other league may be better for the Tar Heels would not be productive. We are part of a great league with a strong future and we know that the ACC leadership is serious in its efforts to strengthen the conference and position it for long-term success.

All of us in the ACC, including the league office and individual schools, continue to carefully monitor the changes that take place in conference alignment. But again, we are proud members of a great league and are looking forward to many more years of success in the ACC by the Tar Heels and other ACC schools.

queue the "if there's smoke, there's a fire" and "silence is deafening" crowd.

The ACC is not the BE, it will not be picked apart so easily.

Not convincing at all.

BEES = Wet Blanket. ;)

Such a pessimist, you are, my friend. :(

I take it as more of a positive than a negative. Obviously if he comes out and says that they are in no way ever going to leave...and then do because they are forced to by conference Armageddon, he would look silly. But I do believe from the statement that they are sincere about seeing this thing through and creating a stronger ACC. The fact that he had to come out and say something means that his fan and alumni base DO NOT like the rumors of UNC possibly leaving and busting up the conference. Not to speed dry the wet blanket, but I see this as UNC committing to the task at hand and not looking to bail out, invite or not. Some other school (FSU, UVA, etc) may light the fuse, or may not. But it won't be UNC.

It sounds like UNC will do what it can to save its conference. Easy for them to say though because they will have a lifeline in the SEC or B1G if the thing falls apart.

Not convincing at all.

Agree. The weasel words about committed to trying to make the conference better is ready-made for "well, it isn't getting better so we should leave." Not saying they will, or that they want to, but I don't read the UNC statement and say that's a showing of solidarity.

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding conference affiliation for the University of North Carolina. Conference alignment is a topic of much discussion nationally these days and we understand that our fans are passionate and knowledgeable of their sports programs.

Carolina is a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference and we believe the ACC is the finest conference in the nation. The ACC has been our home for nearly 60 years and we want it to be our home for another 60 years at least. Our speculating on what other league may be better for the Tar Heels would not be productive. We are part of a great league with a strong future and we know that the ACC leadership is serious in its efforts to strengthen the conference and position it for long-term success.

All of us in the ACC, including the league office and individual schools, continue to carefully monitor the changes that take place in conference alignment. But again, we are proud members of a great league and are looking forward to many more years of success in the ACC by the Tar Heels and other ACC schools.

You can't see the B1G watermark in the background?

as a founding father of 'if theres smoke, theres fire' on syracusefan.com let me say...

ncarolina is not going anywhere.

no smoke.
no fire.

as you were.

Oh Lord

Thank goodness. That should put an end to that.

UNC will never be an early defector. They don't have to be, they would be coveted by the SEC and B1G who will always make room for them. UNC's first preference will be to save the ACC where they are king.

as a founding father of 'if theres smoke, theres fire' on syracusefan.com let me say...

ncarolina is not going anywhere.

no smoke.
no fire.

as you were.

Oh Lord

Oh Kaiser, my Kaiser! Thank you.

UNC is the King of the ACC. They will never give up their crown to become OSU's and Michigan's bitch unless the ACC is torn to shreds first.

UNC is the King of the ACC. They will never give up their crown to become OSU's and Michigan's bitch unless the ACC is torn to shreds first.

Even then I think it would take the core NC group along with UVA leaving to force their hand. FSU, Clemson, Miami and VT leaving would not be enough imo to force UNC to make a move.

I am by no means an insider but I worked for more than a few years in the UNC system and have done quite a bit of work at Chapel Hill. Their whole identity is tied to the ACC. It will take far more than a few football schools leaving for them to abandon ship.

This is def a good thing. Thats about as strong a statement as he could make short of "If UNC EVER leaves the ACC I swear to the Lord Almight on the souls of my children I pledge to take my own life in the most painful and disgusting manor conceivable!" Yes he left the door open... but I don't think they will lead the way out the door. If the conf is falling apart around them I'm sure they'll do whats best for UNC, but they wont be the ACC's execusioner.

Yes, but according to the "dude"

That is a nicely worded non committal committal.