Private School Attendance Numbers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Private School Attendance Numbers

Another category would be the amount of money allocated to sports by BCS and private schools. I think it would show that all the brilliant people in college football do not reside in the SEC or at Texas. In most cases, those schools simply have more money to throw at their problems. Even the TV contract ND has does not allow them to stand up to state legislatures that allocate huge sums to their land grant schools. Florida and Texas have always had good weather. One reason ND has slipped is that the state governments that fund those schools spent enough to tilt the playing field their way. I don't blame the politicians. People in those states prioritize football. Fine. But don't tell me it's a level playing field. It's not.

Finally, some people simply value college football success more than others and it does not matter whether it's a private or public school. One of the things that struck me about the Miami story was how it's clearly only the tip of a giant iceberg. For example, the Yahoo story says that Shapiro visited many, many strip clubs with players and recruits, and that he spent the overwhelming majority of his money in cash. Yet he still racked up $32k in credit card bills at ONE strip club over a five-year stretch. To repeat, he took players to many nudie bars, he spent mainly cash, and he still managed to charge that much at a single club. And it all appears to be an organized effort involving university personnel. All you need to know.

Cali - I could actually understand and read what you wrote here. Your grammar has improved. ;)

I was going to mention this last night. Cali's been a lot better with the typing on this new board. Good on you, Cali.

Trivia- which is the only land grant university in NYS?
Hint- it's a (mostly) private institution.

I don't believe that Miami number at all. I lived in South Florida for a bit and had Miami season tickets in '09 (they have the $100 welfare tickets too) and other than the game against Oklahoma, the place was never very full. I have a picture that I'll try to find of the crowd right before the start of the Clemson game. There might have been 10k in the seats, and that was supposed to be a pretty big game.

I have a friend who has been a big booster for 25+ years. He tells me that their attendance over the past 5 years has been very disappointing.

Yup. Not really a particularly important point. Just a minor distinction between state run and land grant universities. While most land grant schools (I think) are or have become public institutions, land grant actually refers to the expectation of agricultural education.

More color to BK's excellent original post... here are SU's attendance figures going back to 1964:

http://suathletics.syr.edu/sports/2008/4/23/sufootballhomeattendance.aspx

If you consider our "modern" era from 1987 onward, it's clear that every time the program dipped just a little from past performance attendance fell rapidly.

We had a great run attendance-wise in '88, '89 and '90, but of course '90 was that 7-4-2 year. Low and behold we drop over 3,500 people per game in '91 (with that inexcusable 35K for the opener against Vandy). We have another stellar three year run from '92-'94 and then a 4,500 person drop in '95. Same thing with a strong 4-year run in '96-'99, and a drop of 3,600 in 2000.

So, what this tells me is that we always lose around 4,000 fans the moment the program is perceived in the slightest disappointing way. But we also have gotten them back when things improve. This is why I'm optimistic, even though we'll get 38K tonight and people here will lose their collective . Crawl back into the top 25 and we'll be back in the low 40s. Win more than that (which is what we did in those glory days) and we'll be back in the mid/upper 40s, which is obviously our ceiling.

My only concern, which Chip has spoken to, is that the home schedule is weaker than those days. No Miamis, Virginia Techs, etc. So we REALLY need to be good and carry our own water, because the marquee opponents aren't out there like they used to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom