Probably the least of our problems... | Syracusefan.com

Probably the least of our problems...

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
But I never did see it discussed.

Why did Marrone kick the XP when we scored the TD against Louisville? Down 24 when you score, really the only chance (1 in a million) is 3 TDs, 3 2 point conversions.

Kicking the XP took the chances to 0 in a million. Which is fine, but then why even bother with the song and dance of the onsides kick?

I still think he's a good coach (I almost feel like you have to disclose that around here), but I was just watching the end of the game, something that struck me as strange. Plus I don't want to talk about Pasqualoni.

Unrelated, is Saban wearing women's shoes in this interview?

Why did Marrone kick the XP when we scored the TD against Louisville? Down 24 when you score, really the only chance (1 in a million) is 3 TDs, 3 2 point conversions.

Kicking the XP took the chances to 0 in a million. Which is fine, but then why even bother with the song and dance of the onsides kick?

I still think he's a good coach (I almost feel like you have to disclose that around here), but I was just watching the end of the game, something that struck me as strange. Plus I don't want to talk about Pasqualoni.

There was a very brief discussion. No reason to not practice a 2 pt play, just not your go to play as you don't want it on tape. Challenge the kids to make a play. Score smore. It was about practicing a situation in a real game environment. Opportunity lost.

But they took the opportunity to practice the onside kick.

This bugged me to no end. Coach talks about changing the culture and having a group that never fails to fight to the end. But he took the chance for them to do so right away from them. We can argue about bad calls, but to me it was a bad precedent. Screw the "show them something extra" BS... you failed to use your power RBs all game long in a game against a stout DL... put them in and at the very least let them get another carry worth of work. Horrible precedent and IMO the worst call in a season that has had many 1st-guessing situations on the offensive side of the ball.

This is just my humble opinion, but I think it's been pretty well established by now that Doug is a program builder but not the quickest mind with in-game decisions.

Suspect he needs a "bench coach" -- hell, even Joe Torre had them -- a quicker intellect with spontaneous decisions.

Clearly that's not Doug's strength. And he is a good coach overall, IMHO.

agreed doug really blew that one i was screaming at the tv go for two i have no idea why he didnt and i also agree that doug isnt the brightest bulb in the lamp on game days.

teams only have 2-3 onside kick plays and they are tough to practice since they require going at full speed in special teams which they dont like to do.. 2 pt plays are just goal line plays they practice all the time ..

the odds of doing it twice in 1 min were pretty low but the chance to practice an onside kick was worth it..

He laid down his king

agreed doug really blew that one i was screaming at the tv go for two i have no idea why he didnt and i also agree that doug isnt the brightest bulb in the lamp on game days.

Some of you guys are just obnoxious with the Marrone hate. It's ridiculous.

Some of you guys are just obnoxious with the Marrone hate. It's ridiculous.
I don't see much Marrone hate on this board. He's made great improvements in the program but some people have greater expectations and less patience. Any argument against going for 2 is silly. Didn't want to show "your go to play so it would be on tape"? KO should know better. Its a play from the 2 yard line. I would hope he has more than 1 play he can call from there. It was a poor decision that likely had zero impact on the outcome of the game but looked even poorer when he went for the onside kick.

I don't see much Marrone hate on this board. He's made great improvements in the program but some people have greater expectations and less patience. Any argument against going for 2 is silly. Didn't want to show "your go to play so it would be on tape"? KO should know better. Its a play from the 2 yard line. I would hope he has more than 1 play he can call from there. It was a poor decision that likely had zero impact on the outcome of the game but looked even poorer when he went for the onside kick.

It's one thing to have "greater expectations and less patience" and to voice displeasure with a questionable decision or two.

It's another to say the head coach (who has completely turned around the program in a matter of two years) "isn't the brightest bulb in the lamp."

It's one thing to have "greater expectations and less patience" and to voice displeasure with a questionable decision or two.

It's another to say the head coach (who has completely turned around the program in a matter of two years) "isn't the brightest bulb in the lamp."

Every school has a couple fans like that. Comes with the territory of being a fan of a major sports program.

Doug is a good head coach and i have stated that many times. He isnt a very good game day coach or OC. So the statement on not being the brightest bulb in the lamp ON GAME DAY wasnt meant to suggest that he isnt smart. I just dont feel he is at this best during the game. Not going for two is just one example of this.

Lets say our go to play is the TE throwback. Why show it in a meaningless game? I DID NOT say kick the PAT. Just to use another 2pt play. If you use your "go to" 2pt conversion, then when you really need it the other team will be looking for it.

Also Upperdeck, a goaline play in practice is not the same as a 2pt all or nothing play in a game. You don't get the same feel or have any pressure to convert in practice. You cannot replicate game experiences in practice. We had a chance to have a game experience and chose not to use it.

Lets say our go to play is the TE throwback. Why show it in a meaningless game? I DID NOT say kick the PAT. Just to use another 2pt play. If you use your "go to" 2pt conversion, then when you really need it the other team will be looking for it.

Also Upperdeck, a goaline play in practice is not the same as a 2pt all or nothing play in a game. You don't get the same feel or have any pressure to convert in practice. You cannot replicate game experiences in practice. We had a chance to have a game experience and chose not to use it.

I started thinking about it more, maye after the Toledo and Rutgers games, we figured we needed to practice our XPs even more?

Other than that, I've got nothing.

This thread is ridiculous.

Seriously, the game was over.

And using it as proof that the guy isn't a good game day coach.

Jesus.

Jesus.

What took you so long.

Jesus.

Put your bias aside and just answer this question...

Why onside kick?

I was yelling at my computer screen to go for 2 as well. The only thing I could come up with, let me warn you that it is ouuuuuttt there, is that if we did not convert, the final score would be 27-9, which looks like we didn't score a TD for people just perusing through scores. So 27-10 at least the general public know we scored a TD??? I told you it was out there...

I think it's a valid question and one that should be asked to find out what Marrone was thinking at that stage of the game. I forgot, how much time was left after SU scored to make it 27-9?

Thanks cc08. I see no reason not to go for 2 unless Marrone just has 1 2 point play in hand (which I highly doubt) unless he just wanted to keep the positive mojo going.

How about just to work on it.
Isn't the onside kick the most dangerous play in terms of potential injury? If not the most, then definitely one of. For a coach that's so afraid of injury, it doesn't make sense to do it "just to work on it" if you don't go for two previously.

You were really screaming at the tv at that point? I had stopped yelling well in advance of this. I was just happy we scored. My power went out right before the onsides kick and didn't come back on for 2 days.