Professor Tweet causes buzz around SU hoops... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Professor Tweet causes buzz around SU hoops...

Are you f*cking serious? That could possibly be the dumbest comment I've read on here, and that's saying something. A formerly anonymous part-time Syracuse professor comments on a story that is all over the place, and he should be fired and move on? Really?
Really.

Although in the real world there are consequences about tweeting stuff publicly about a colleague. In academia, anything goes. That's why those of us in corporate America consider 90% of them buffoons

That's because academia is typically a cesspool of liberal douche nozzles run amok. That includes Joe College. ;)

Dennis is a class guy. Really nice, very helpful. He's a former ESPN VP (so he's definitely the devil). Seriously though, he's a good person who tweeted something silly. Worse things have happened. Judging someone's character on one stupid tweet is just about as judgmental and short sighted as coming to the conclusion that SU is a renegade program because some basketball players smoked pot.

I would think that tweeting an asinine point of view which reflects poorly on the university is reason for terminating his contract. He can't be that smart if he is talking out his ass about a situation which he has no business commenting on unless he has all of the facts. Gomer needs to shut up and know his role.

Are you f*cking serious? That could possibly be the dumbest comment I've read on here, and that's saying something. A formerly anonymous part-time Syracuse professor comments on a story that is all over the place, and he should be fired and move on? Really?

REALLY!

I would think that tweeting an asinine point of view which reflects poorly on the university is reason for terminating his contract. He can't be that smart if he is talking out his ass about a situation which he has no business commenting on unless he has all of the facts. Gomer needs to shut up and know his role.
Terminating his contract when he used the qualifier IF? This board is on a 24/7 witch hunt for non-believers...

Ben, when you're a senior in college you can say stupid things online. When you're a professor for a university going through a drug investigation you keep your mouth shut. Just like if Joe from accounting at your msg internship got busted for dwi you would be incorrect to tweet about the consequences for Joe. He is your colleague at msg

Now that being said, if you and other people say he's a good guy that's good enough for me. I'm movin on. He probably regrets the tweet anyways.

Being a nice, level headed, smart man does not give him a pass for posting an assinine comment about an ongoing university investigation into private student matters. You know what, I think he should be strung up too if they find out that 10 students that took his classes over the years smoked weed. If they did, he clearly failed in his efforts to be a solid role model and instructor of youth.

He should be blaming the university and not JB. It's their freaking policy. Why would JB not play a guy that was cleared to play?

Really.
Well you're a bit of an a** then, because this dude isn't part of the basketball team, he's part of a giant university and made a qualified statement that IF everything was true, heads might roll. It's not like Mike Hopkins or Adrian Autry tweeted it. He is a PART TIME PROFESSOR, not the freaking president of the university.

People on this board are absolutely insane. Good Lord, they talk about witch hunts against SU, and then want to drum up their own witch hunts for comments that don't matter. Kill Deninger, kill Gottlieb, kill whomever. Heaven forbid they have a different point of view then I do!!! It's Internet Tough Guy at it's absolute worst. Shakespeare said it in reference to life, but it just as easily applies to some people on this board: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

You people are just as bad as the media idiots who reflexively say Boeheim should be fired based on the little they know about the situation.

Well you're a bit of an a** then, because this dude isn't part of the basketball team, he's part of a giant university and made a qualified statement that IF everything was true, heads might roll. It's not like Mike Hopkins or Adrian Autry tweeted it. He is a PART TIME PROFESSOR, not the freaking president of the university.

He'll continue to be part-time if he posts commentary on a university investigation with privacy being involved. The guy has free speech, but he should not be posting his thoughts on the WWW.

yes, thank you. I shall take your word for it.

People on this board are absolutely insane. Good Lord, they talk about witch hunts against SU, and then want to drum up their own witch hunts for comments that don't matter. Kill Deninger, kill Gottlieb, kill whomever. Heaven forbid they have a different point of view then I do!!! It's Internet Tough Guy at it's absolute worst. Shakespeare said it in reference to life, but it just as easily applies to some people on this board: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

You people are just as bad as the media idiots who reflexively say Boeheim should be fired based on the little they know about the situation.
I've never gone off on gottlieb, I've never gone off on anyone who questions syracuses' ability, because that can be proven or disproven. What I know, is this professor took to the world an opinion about a co-worker he should have kept to himself. If I make a comment my companies VP of finance ability to handle one of his employees on a media outlet, I can only assume m job would be in jeopardy. I am neither an internet tough guy nor Joseph McCarthy, I just think what the guy did was dumb, and could certainly suffer consequences in a real world work force. My opinion may make me an ass, but it is MY OPINION.

These non-basketball scandals teach me a bit more than I'd like to know about the intelligence and (in)tolerance of some otherwise reasonable posters.

This is a great comment in the article:

"We don't test other students at SU for recreational drug use, we never tested Newhouse students, why should we, they're adults," Rubin said.

Dennis is a class guy. Really nice, very helpful. He's a former ESPN VP (so he's definitely the devil). Seriously though, he's a good person who tweeted something silly. Worse things have happened. Judging someone's character on one stupid tweet is just about as judgmental and short sighted as coming to the conclusion that SU is a renegade program because some basketball players smoked pot.

Judging a person based on their judgmental tweet is wrong?

These non-basketball scandals teach me a bit more than I'd like to know about the intelligence and (in)tolerance of some otherwise reasonable posters.
this sounds a bit pretentious any way you slice it.

Being a nice, level headed, smart man does not give him a pass for posting an assinine comment about an ongoing university investigation into private student matters. You know what, I think he should be strung up too if they find out that 10 students that took his classes over the years smoked weed. If they did, he clearly failed in his efforts to be a solid role model and instructor of youth.

Well, I can guarantee you that at least 10 students that took his classes smoked weed. Guaranteed.

Although in the real world there are consequences about tweeting stuff publicly about a colleague. In academia, anything goes. That's why those of us in corporate America consider 90% of them buffoons

And vice versa.

This is a great comment in the article:

"We don't test other students at SU for recreational drug use, we never tested Newhouse students, why should we, they're adults," Rubin said.

We test because the NCAA bans drugs, tests for drug use themselves and has determined in athletic events it is not fair if one player uses performance enhancing drugs while they also don't want athletes to use other drugs which could be deemed unsafe in the system during athletic competition.

We test because the NCAA bans drugs, tests for drug use themselves and has determined in athletic events it is not fair if one player uses performance enhancing drugs while they also don't want athletes to use other drugs which could be deemed unsafe in the system during athletic competition.
You are just cutting and pasting the same post over and over now arent u?

You are just cutting and pasting the same post over and over now arent u?

Not at all. Where is that post elsewhere? It is a reply to the question of why athletes get tested but regular students don't. It's also a reasonable reply.

Not at all. Where is that post elsewhere? It is a reply to the question of why athletes get tested but regular students don't. It's also a reasonable reply.
I was just kidding. Ive just seen several posts (all reasonable) from you today explaining the ncaas drug policy, why individual schools have their own drug policies, etc.

If this happened a long time ago, the statute of limitations are probably in effect, AND if not, it still can't affect this year's team because they are not the violators.

It might void some wins in prior years...

It seems like the situation is not too serious, judging from the response of Daryl Gross.

Here is the tweet: Adjunct Professor Dennis Deninger Tweeted, “If YahooSports is correct (PatForde is a very solid reporter), Boeheim is done. MikeHopkins will be tainted & won’t be next coach.AD could fall.”

He said what he thought would happen if the allegations were true. So not just the IF, but beyond that he neither said nor even implied he wanted that outcome.

I was riled about the tweet when I first came into the thread and read some posts before reading the article, but after looking at the actual text of the tweet, I think this is being overblown like the scandal itself. Again, for all I can gather from reading that short text, he could be just as concerned as some of us were or are. Or maybe he is hoping for a bad outcome, but I personally can't derive that from those words. He may very well end up regretting the tweet, but not for the reason some of us think.

Well, I can guarantee you that at least 10 students that took his classes smoked weed. Guaranteed.

I wouldn't be shocked if some of the students toked up right before his class. I doubt any of the players were under the influence during any games, regardless of some of the occasional boneheaded plays that may call such an assumption into question :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom