Professor Tweet causes buzz around SU hoops... | Syracusefan.com

Professor Tweet causes buzz around SU hoops...

The Guy intrviewed (Prof) say's a Free Speach Issue Wasn't a Student just let go because of a "Speach" Issue

so a newhouse prof gave his opinion. Big Deal. I have an idea, let's hurt his chances for tenure. He has free speech. We have consequences.

Pat Forde is not a reporter. He's a columnist. There's a very real difference, which is made clear by the job Yahoo! did with that piece.

And for a guy who worked at ESPN for 25 years, Deniger seems to be very naive about the whole thing.

The Guy intrviewed (Prof) say's a Free Speach Issue Wasn't a Student just let go because of a "Speach" Issue
I'm all for free speech. Free speach, though? Never!

It seems improbable that we would have a Pat Forde supporter at SU, and downright unbelievable that the supporter is on the faculty at Newhouse. But sure enough, Denis Deninger, a Newhouse adjunct (thank god), has jumped on Yahoo's half-story from inside the SU community. He qualifies his tweet ('if true'), but predicts JB's ouster even though the investigation is incomplete and many significant facts are unknown.

Maybe Deninger teaches "production", or was 'mis-tweeted' as a child. Who knows. But what we do know is that, under SU's policy, playing after a positive drug test doesn't trigger automatic suspension. The player would had to have failed more than one valid test (the Yahoo article only cites 2 instances of this). Even then, under the guideline, the player can get clearance from a drug counselor after counseling, or from the dean on a waiver.

It appears that these pesky details escaped 'Professor' Deninger. Like Forde, he's ready to indict the basketball coach because 2 players in 11 years took the court after (according to Yahoo) multiple failures. Or maybe there wasn't enough room to tweet that SU's policy is voluntary, that SU reported any potential problem over a year ago, that MBB has 10-13 scholarship and 5-6 walkons every single year (all of whom, we hope, go to parties), and that either or both of the players with multiple test failures could have been cleared or granted a waiver.

Anything could happen, and at the end of the day, this case could reveal breakdowns in policy or compliance. Until more facts are out, however, it's speculative fodder unworthy of the considered opinion of someone on the SU faculty, even a part-timer. Perhaps Deninger should have spent more time acquainting himself with the facts instead of playing with his cell phone.

Guy sounds like a class act. SU has some model folks on that faculty

Guy sounds like a class act. SU has some model folks on that faculty
Dennis is a class guy. Really nice, very helpful. He's a former ESPN VP (so he's definitely the devil). Seriously though, he's a good person who tweeted something silly. Worse things have happened. Judging someone's character on one stupid tweet is just about as judgmental and short sighted as coming to the conclusion that SU is a renegade program because some basketball players smoked pot.

I don't agree with his opinion about JB, Hop or TGD but I support his right to state his opinion even if it is misguided and grossly premature. Rubin seems to agree with that right.

Sent from my DROIDX

on the other hand, is what he tweeted so unreasonable? He did use the modifier "if," after all.

If what Yahoo reported was correct - the team knowingly and willingly used ineligible players in games - then that could very well spell the end for JB.

Dennis is a class guy. Really nice, very helpful. He's a former ESPN VP (so he's definitely the devil). Seriously though, he's a good person who tweeted something silly. Worse things have happened. Judging someone's character on one stupid tweet is just about as judgmental and short sighted as coming to the conclusion that SU is a renegade program because some basketball players smoked pot.

Good post. Although I think this whole social media is leading good people to fail miserably. Tweeting something is akin to standing in a stadium with 100,000 people and shouting it. It's not like denninger said it to his buddy in the faculty room.

I don't agree with his opinion about JB, Hop or TGD but I support his right to state his opinion even if it is misguided and grossly premature. Rubin seems to agree with that right.

Sent from my DROIDX

Although in the real world there are consequences about tweeting stuff publicly about a colleague. In academia, anything goes. That's why those of us in corporate America consider 90% of them buffoons

Oh my god ppl, It was 2 players

Player A who "allegedly" tested positive 4 times, and Player B who "allegedly' tested positive 3 times. The other 8 could have tested postive only once and the procedure notify parent/guardian, counseling, and tested regulary for rest of eligibility.

Com mon, Lets calm down the masses in Syracuse

Everyone, including an idiot, has the right to an opinion. But we would all like to think that an SU professor would withhold his opinion until more facts were available. Jumping on the Pat Forde bandwagon is unbecoming, to say the least.

Oh my god ppl, It was 2 players

Player A who "allegedly" tested positive 4 times, and Player B who "allegedly' tested positive 3 times. The other 8 could have tested postive only once and the procedure notify parent/guardian, counseling, and tested regulary for rest of eligibility.

Com mon, Lets calm down the masses in Syracuse

Yes ... and the 8 could have played in games with no violation. Even as to the other 2, were they given clearances, or waivers? Were the positive tests in different academic years? Was the positive test information properly communicated to the head coach or AD? It goes on and on... and without more information it's all speculation.

Adjuncts don't earn tenure. They're typically hired on a contract basis to teach specific courses and their contracts can be non-renewed if circumstances warrant (and I'm not suggesting this tweet justifies non-renewal). The idea that everyone in academia does whatever they want with no consequences is just as cartoonish and one-sided as Yahoo and ESPN's portrayal of our program.

I've had Professor Deninger in class. He's a very level headed guy and is very smart. I saw his tweet last night and while I disagreed with it, you can tell he didn't do as much research as he could have. All of us say stupid things online once in a while, there's no need to direct a firestorm at a great person like Dennis Deninger.

I've had Professor Deninger in class. He's a very level headed guy and is very smart. I saw his tweet last night and while I disagreed with it, you can tell he didn't do as much research as he could have. All of us say stupid things online once in a while, there's no need to direct a firestorm at a great person like Dennis Deninger.
responsible adults don't make stupid comments on a social media network. I don't deny he is a smart guy, but that right there, was dumb. I can only hope that students refuse to take his class, he gets fired, and moves on.

responsible adults don't make stupid comments on a social media network. I don't deny he is a smart guy, but that right there, was dumb. I can only hope that students refuse to take his class, he gets fired, and moves on.
what is so dumb about it?

he used the conditional - "if" the story is correct

if it was correct in its biggest assertions, then you better bet JB would be in serious trouble.

it's not stupid, it's practically a tautology

Yes ... and the 8 could have played in games with no violation. Even as to the other 2, were they given clearances, or waivers? Were the positive tests in different academic years? Was the positive test information properly communicated to the head coach or AD? It goes on and on... and without more information it's all speculation.

Given by the AD, so if the AD decided to overule where is the story

Ben, when you're a senior in college you can say stupid things online. When you're a professor for a university going through a drug investigation you keep your mouth shut. Just like if Joe from accounting at your msg internship got busted for dwi you would be incorrect to tweet about the consequences for Joe. He is your colleague at msg

Now that being said, if you and other people say he's a good guy that's good enough for me. I'm movin on. He probably regrets the tweet anyways.

Are you f*cking serious? That could possibly be the dumbest comment I've read on here, and that's saying something. A formerly anonymous part-time Syracuse professor comments on a story that is all over the place, and he should be fired and move on? Really?

what is so dumb about it?

he used the conditional - "if" the story is correct

if it was correct in its biggest assertions, then you better bet JB would be in serious trouble.

it's not stupid, it's practically a tautology
I think him to be in a position at the university not to say anything at all until this investigation has run its course (I think this was dumb). I hope every student at the university has more of an affinity for Boeheim than this guy, if I was a student I would want no part of his class (that was dumb). This wouldn't damn all three of the players he mentioned and to say it was... is dumb.

This is obviously all my opinion but I really think it was stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom