Program Excitement | Syracusefan.com

Program Excitement

Completely agree. For being the best media school in the country, it sure isn't utilized one bit, especially for the football program. How hard is it? Hell, students can make equally as impressive videos for class or in work-study.

There is no buzz about this football team at all, especially from within SU and it's embarrassing. Recruits can sense this stuff, they want visibility and SU is doing nothing to promote that.

Hell, Michigan just announced its painting the end zones for their spring game as a twitter hash tag. Being creative and connecting with fans, especially, ha not been a strong suit in the last year.

Marketing always seems easy ... especially for those who have never done it.

Sports marketing is especially difficult. Just ask the NBA and MLB franchises with a ton of empty seats. Or the race track owners.

Then there's the problem of incremental costs vs. actual yeilds from marketing efforts.

There is no demand. Just producing something won't bring excitement. We need Ws and to score a bunch of points doing so.

BTW we had ESPNU all access last year. IMO it was kinda boring but still looks better than what RU is doing.

Marketing always seems easy ... especially for those who have never done it.

Sports marketing is especially difficult. Just ask the NBA and MLB franchises with a ton of empty seats. Or the race track owners.

Then there's the problem of incremental costs vs. actual yeilds from marketing efforts.

I am not saying this is going to solve all of SU's problems but it would show me (and I would think a lot of others) that the program is not stale. That is the best way I can describe Syracuse Football. Stale. These programs do bring excitement and in turn support for the program.

Considering the SUAD has a production team IN HOUSE, the costs should be minimal. Not many schools (including RU, who outsources these productions) have the same kind of set up. It just doesn't seem like the AD uses it effectively.

I understand that wins are what will really better market the program, however creativity like television shows provide "wins" in April and May when there are no games to be played.

Are there really people who don't think something like this wouldn't generate more interest in the SU football program? Not just fan interest but also recruits, alums, donors, etc...

http://tinyurl.com/7x7p7a2

http://tinyurl.com/7zkaeps

This should be VERY easy for SU...I wish there was more forward thinking.

Well, those videos didn't make me want to go see a Rutgers game.

I like the video ideas but in all honesty, who will watch that if they do not already care about the program? I doubt many will be motivated to see a game if they did not care before.

The only thing that truly grows excitement and puts fans in the seats is wins. Look at Rutgers in 2006. Look at them now. Look at us in the 1996, look at us now. The truth is, fair weather fans are every where. Could you imagine the amount of new posters we would get on this side if SU fball made a BCS bowl?

Completely agree. For being the best media school in the country, it sure isn't utilized one bit, especially for the football program. How hard is it? Hell, students can make equally as impressive videos for class or in work-study.

There is no buzz about this football team at all, especially from within SU and it's embarrassing. Recruits can sense this stuff, they want visibility and SU is doing nothing to promote that.

Hell, Michigan just announced its painting the end zones for their spring game as a twitter hash tag. Being creative and connecting with fans, especially, ha not been a strong suit in the last year.
completely disagree

I don't think the majority of people that go to syracuse football games care about football all the much. It's more of a social exercise.

I think videos would help with engagement. It should never be that the season ends and there is next to nothing until august.

SU could have hooter girls serving free beer, give out free XBoxes/Wii's, Vera Bradley purses and American Dolls and still draw only 10K because no one would even know they were doing it or there was a spring football game.

Another thought regarding the casual fan is that if SU treats this game like teeball kids won't want to go. In other words one of the worst things that could happen to baseball was tee ball, it bores the hell out of kids and they end up thinking baseball is boring and losing interest for the rest of their lives. The spring game is dull and basic and even putting lipstick on this pigskin won't help. Winning is the only way to get people excited, they need to think they are missing something good if they don't go.

Anyone notice at the 7-second mark that they have hanging from the ceiling a banner with the 'R' and an Allstate Sugar Bowl logo under it?

I find that those that wear the Orange Colored Glasses just love to chastize anyone who dares say we aren't heading in the right direction. I love Orange fans, but I can be critical when and where I feel I need be. Just my opinion, as others have theirs. Those that can find fault, learn from it, and have the opportunity to grow. Or we can choose to to accept things as they are. I for one think SU, as a media giant, should be setting that standard, not trying to keep up with it.

Are there really people who don't think something like this wouldn't generate more interest in the SU football program? Not just fan interest but also recruits, alums, donors, etc...

http://tinyurl.com/7x7p7a2

http://tinyurl.com/7zkaeps

This should be VERY easy for SU...I wish there was more forward thinking.

Wouldn't work. Did you see how distracted those kids were? And plus, Marrone just got loads of info for his game plan. RU can keep their videos ... with that info, we're going to beat them by 30!

I am not saying this is going to solve all of SU's problems but it would show me (and I would think a lot of others) that the program is not stale. That is the best way I can describe Syracuse Football. Stale. These programs do bring excitement and in turn support for the program.

Considering the SUAD has a production team IN HOUSE, the costs should be minimal. Not many schools (including RU, who outsources these productions) have the same kind of set up. It just doesn't seem like the AD uses it effectively.

I understand that wins are what will really better market the program, however creativity like television shows provide "wins" in April and May when there are no games to be played.

Anyone who wants to deny that, as an aggregate, the things Rutgers has done (scheduling pansies, making videos, buying a helicopter, making outlandish national championship aspirations public, FAMILY ...) has absolutely pushed them past SU and a bunch of other schools in the eyes of recruits -- i.e. the people that matter the most for all intents and purposes. They were borderline top 25 in recruiting this even though they should have three losses in a row to us.

So while I agree that much marketing stuff is swing and miss philosophy, the fact that RU has made all those efforts has certainly paid off in meaningful fashion. So do we need to win more? Absolutely, no question. But positioning this program as a dynamic, cool, up-and-comer is absolutely important on some level. We don't do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom