Program is spiraling downward | Syracusefan.com

Program is spiraling downward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboose

Scout Team
Let's be honest. We're now losing out on almost every center or heralded big we go after. Recently, Wahab chose Georgetown over us. When's the last time we lost a recruit to freaking Georgetown? Top N.Y. state recruits won't come here anymore, hello Isaiah Stewart, Thomas Bryant. We're losing 50% of our games against non-cream puff opponents over the ist 4-5 years. Every year we're in double-digit loss territory and on the bubble. We're getting blown out more than ever. The players just don't give it their all for this coach anymore.

We missed out by letting Hopkins go. We deserve this for being so stupid. Big names don't want to come here because of this exclusive zone mentality instead of making it a tool that we go to on a game by game basis. I'm sick and tired of what's happening to this team and program.

We aren’t spinning out of control.
Our problems are we are spoiled as a fanbase and our offense just makes our product awful to watch.
JB isn’t going anywhere till Buddy graduates.
He doesn’t want to change he wants to recruit defensive first kids that give length to the zone.
Our problems won’t change till we have a Sccop Jardine level college PG and a Arinze Onuaku, Rick Jackson, Tyler Lydon level college C.

It’s frustrating that we are the most predictable team in college basketball.
Our HC doesn’t care.
Bill Belichick changes his plans every game to exploit his opponents weaknesses and cause them to beat themselves.
Syracuse basketball is going to play exclusively zone defense unless we trap and we are going to make you beat that defense and then hope our athletes can score enough on offense to win. We don’t move the ball and just hope the deep shots fall.

On Hop our fans put a lot of heat on him and he now has his own legacy.
Plus JB didn’t want to give the NCAA satisfaction of telling him to retire. He deserved calling his own retirement even though he is maddeningly stubborn.

Our problems are we are spoiled as a fanbase and our offense just makes our product awful to watch.
He doesn’t want to change he wants to recruit defensive first kids that give length to the zone.
Our problems won’t change till we have a Sccop Jardine level college PG and a Arinze Onuaku, Rick Jackson, Tyler Lydon level college C.

Our HC doesn’t care.
Bill Belichick changes his plans every game to exploit his opponents weaknesses and cause them to beat themselves.
Syracuse basketball is going to play exclusively zone defense unless we trap and we are going to make you beat that defense and then hope our athletes can score enough on offense to win. We don’t move the ball and just hope the deep shots fall.

Plus JB didn’t want to give the NCAA satisfaction of telling him to retire. He deserved calling his own retirement even though he is maddeningly stubborn.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. Wildhack made a huge mistake and we’re going to keep paying for it. We had our next coach lined up and kids wanted to come here to play for him. We’ll continue to be mediocre for the rest of JB’s tenure. And its really mind boggling that people think that is just fine.

Let's be honest. We're now losing out on almost every center or heralded big we go after. Recently, Wahab chose Georgetown over us. When's the last time we lost a recruit to freaking Georgetown? Top N.Y. state recruits won't come here anymore, hello Isaiah Stewart, Thomas Bryant. We're losing 50% of our games against non-cream puff opponents over the ist 4-5 years. Every year we're in double-digit loss territory and on the bubble. We're getting blown out more than ever. The players just don't give it their all for this coach anymore.

We missed out by letting Hopkins go. We deserve this for being so stupid. Big names don't want to come here because of this exclusive zone mentality instead of making it a tool that we go to on a game by game basis. I'm sick and tired of what's happening to this team and program.
Easy solution, stop watching. That way you won't get upset.

How do we know JB will go nowhere before Buddy graduates?
I guess we don’t with 100% certainty. But I’d put the odds of his being here when Buddy graduates at > 99.999%

Our HC doesn’t care.

We aren’t spinning out of control. That's what the defenders of Coach P said when we were losing to an epically bad Temple team but winning the Big East at 6-5.

We all know how that went. A lot of factors at play, and a bad subsequent hire for sure, but there are plenty of examples of programs showing signs and waiting too long. And then needing years to dig out.

Basketball is different in that one recruiting class can change a program, but this thing has absolutely spun into a different direction over the last 4-5 years and as you say, it isn't changing anytime soon.

That’s a snarky but not helpful reply. The guy has a point, doesn’t he?
His opinions are fine, whining about isn't. So yes it was snarky but imho he deserved it for whining.

We aren’t spinning out of control. That's what the defenders of Coach P said when we were losing to an epically bad Temple team but winning the Big East at 6-5.

We all know how that went. A lot of factors at play, and a bad subsequent hire for sure, but there are plenty of examples of programs showing signs and waiting too long. And then needing years to dig out.

Basketball is different in that one recruiting class can change a program, but this thing has absolutely spun into a different direction over the last 4-5 years and as you say, it isn't changing anytime soon.
I am critical of JB but I also respect the guy and think he is a good coach.
Comparing this situation to Coach P isn’t fair.
Coach P had crap facilities and was a good soldier who never complained.
He didn’t have the Melo Center or a weight room that JB has for recruiting.
Coach P would have been fine if he had the Einsley Center as his problems weren’t he was running the equivalent of the option offense 100% like JB does with 100% zone.
Coach P was getting negative recruited by Schiano and Edsall because our facilities sucked.

JB just needs to adjust a little. The fact he won’t is why the frustration levels are high.

JB isn’t leaving before Buddy because he doesn’t want his successor to have to coach his son and have JB coming to games watching his son as JB would want to support his son like any parent and then have unwarranted stress on his successor having to be a parent of a current player.
It’s not fair. No problem with this as it prevents an uncomfortable situation.
Thus JB is likely staying thru Buddy’s career.

I am critical of JB but I also respect the guy and think he is a good coach.
Comparing this situation to Coach P isn’t fair.
Coach P had crap facilities and was a good soldier who never complained.
He didn’t have the Melo Center or a weight room that JB has for recruiting.
Coach P would have been fine if he had the Einsley Center as his problems weren’t he was running the equivalent of the option offense 100% like JB does with 100% zone.
Coach P was getting negative recruited by Schiano and Edsall because our facilities sucked.

JB just needs to adjust a little. The fact he won’t is why the frustration levels are high.

I did mention there were a lot of factors at play, facilities being one key one, but I do think P had issues with the way he ran the program and needed to change his ways. He was just as stubborn, IMO. More of a company guy, sure, but P's only reason for losing at the level he did wasn't just recruiting. We had better players than Temple, and Rutgers, and yet lost to those teams 3 times during his final years.

Any chance that buddy inherited his dad’s math genes and will graduate 3 years early with a degree in probability and statistics?

Any chance that buddy inherited his dad’s math genes and will graduate 3 years early with a degree in probability and statistics?
There’s a good chance this is Boeheim’s last season then because Buddy could leave after this year to enter the nba draft. I hear the JJ Redick comparisons are swirling

That’s a snarky but not helpful reply. The guy has a point, doesn’t he?
He has an opinion. He states it as if it is absolute which it surely is not. He forgets Hughes is from upstate and one of our best recruits for next year is from upstate. I won't count Buddy as we had inside advantages there. So his statement we get no upstate players is severely inaccurate. And there are precious few from upstate we would want anyway.

The program isn't spiraling downward, it's been down since the BC loss that put us at 25-1. There have been a few good wins here and there, but we're now in a 05-09 like stretch. Hopefully we emerge soon, but we haven't been pulling in any great recruiting classes that would signal that we emerge anytime soon.

Get used to it.

Doesn’t Hop use an exclusive zone?

How do we know JB will go nowhere before Buddy graduates?

Didn’t he recently say how hard it is to coach his son and how he’d never do it again?

I don't see JB changing at all so I don't see how the following three seasons with buddy will look any different than what is currently going on.

Didn’t he recently say how hard it is to coach his son and how he’d never do it again?

I didn't hear that.

Family businesses are always tough, tho.

Easy solution, stop watching. That way you won't get upset.
That would be an immature person's solution but not everybody is immature like you. Stick by your team bud, that's what true fans do. I'm going to the game next Wednesday, are you?

That would be an immature person's solution but not everybody is immature like you. Stick by your team bud, that's what true fans do. I'm going to the game next Wednesday, are you?
At least keep the ultra over the top make you feel good negative rants in 1 topic. I was so glad that you enlightened us not to get excited and now that the program is spiraling downward.

The team has been inconsistent all year. We know that. Last night they laid a giant turd in a winnable game. We know that. At the end of the day with all of their warts, they are still 8-4 in ACC play with some good opportunities to knock off ranked opponents. This team wins by 3 and dies by the 3.

I learned a long time ago to never count JB out.

At least keep the ultra over the top make you feel good negative rants in 1 topic. I was so glad that you enlightened us not to get excited and now that the program is spiraling downward.

The team has been inconsistent all year. We know that. Last night they laid a giant turd in a winnable game. We know that. At the end of the day with all of their warts, they are still 8-4 in ACC play with some good opportunities to knock off ranked opponents. This team wins by 3 and dies by the 3.

I learned a long time ago to never count JB out.
I'm sorry my less than positive posts during this difficult time hurt your feelings. I will be sure to keep you in mind next time I post. I will bring up fun things like the Wiggles or cool pet tricks or something just for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom