Program tiers | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Program tiers

LOL, no worries.. 5 FF and 3NC's yet quietly seem to just go about our business and somehow still sneak up on some folks.

You guys have been blessed (?-jk) with a tremendous coach for a long, long time. He has done a fantastic job building and keeping you guys relevant and a major player over decades. We have had 4 coaches since 1969 when JB started and we have had less turnover than most. Jack Kraft, (took team to FF with Howard Porter and lost to UCLA with Wooden and Sidney Wicks), Rollie--- 2nd best coach Nova has had, Steve Lappas-- squandered one of the most talented teams and players in Nova history in Kerry Kittles, and our GOAT - Jay (now been there for 19 years). BTW, Jay and JB seem to have a really good relationship--particularly through USBA.

There is absolutely no substitute for continuity and the coach being a major part of the "brand".

These types of topics are interesting.. everyone has their own point of view on why teams are or aren't at certain levels. I love when the whole "who is a blue blood" discussion gets going. That gets folks fired up.

BTW, didn't mean to comment so much on your board, I will shut up now!
Even though Nova and UConn beat us in # of national titles, I’d argue that Syracuse was long ahead of both in terms of overall program. But the gap has def been closed. Cuse should have at least 2 (ugh 1987!), if not 3 titles (1989, 1996, 2010 or 2012). We have 6 Final Fours, all since 1975, the most of any school in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic. Over the past decade, UConn has fallen back while Nova has risen. Gtown had been in the mix but they’ve dropped a lot. Right now Syracuse and Nova are def the best programs in the Northeast-Mid-Atlantic region (north of the Carolinas), with UConn fading back to Gtown territory. Most Syracuse fans love Jay Wright, btw, and miss our old BE battles. As a kid I attended at the 3 OT Big East tourney championship victory against Nova in the Dome in 1981! And I was at the 1989 BET championship against Nova in the Garden when Sherm won MVP.

Last edited:
I agree with most of that except I would not necessarily put UCLA on tier 1 even though they won I’ll I’ll lots of championships most of it is like 50 years ago. I’m pretty sure they’ve won some championships recently but I don’t think they can recruit the same way that Kansas Duke and Kentucky can on a consistent basis

I agree with most of that except I would not necessarily put UCLA on tier 1 even though they won I’ll I’ll lots of championships most of it is like 50 years ago. I’m pretty sure they’ve won some championships recently but I don’t think they can recruit the same way that Kansas Duke and Kentucky can on a consistent basis
They have 11 championships that has to count for something.

And I acknowledged that
I just think we’re in here right now or even in the last 10 years when I think of blue bloods in here right now UCLA doesn’t come to mind that’s all

1. Duke Kentucky UNC Kansas Indiana UCLA
2. Syracuse Louisville Villanova Michigan St Gonzaga Michigan Ohio St Arizona
3. Who cares

Gonzaga over UConn?

opps.Yeah, they definitely belong on the 2nd tier. I think you can add Florida as well.

I kinda liked the unintentional shade thrown at Storz there. ;)

Florida kinda had a flash in the pan there with the 2 Nattys.

Here are all the other 2-time winners (and the coach(es) responsible):
Cincinnati 2 – Ed Jucker
Florida 2 – Billy Donovan
Michigan State 2 – Jud Heathcote (1), Tom Izzo (1)
NC State 2 – Norm Sloan (1), Jim Valvano (1)
Oklahoma State 2 – Henry Iba
San Francisco 2 – Phil Woolpert

Of all those teams, only Sparty has had ongoing continuous success over time.
Izzo has gotten them to a ton of FF's, and won 1.

Florida is a lot more like NC State - who nobody would consider a Tier 2 program.

Absolutely NOBODY considers Cincy, Okie Lite, or San Fran as Tier 2 programs.
Natties aren't everything.

I kinda liked the unintentional shade thrown at Storz there. ;)

Florida kinda had a flash in the pan there with the 2 Nattys.

Here are all the other 2-time winners (and the coach(es) responsible):
Cincinnati 2 – Ed Jucker
Florida 2 – Billy Donovan
Michigan State 2 – Jud Heathcote (1), Tom Izzo (1)
NC State 2 – Norm Sloan (1), Jim Valvano (1)
Oklahoma State 2 – Henry Iba
San Francisco 2 – Phil Woolpert

Of all those teams, only Sparty has had ongoing continuous success over time.
Izzo has gotten them to a ton of FF's, and won 1.

Florida is a lot more like NC State - who nobody would consider a Tier 2 program.

Absolutely NOBODY considers Cincy, Okie Lite, or San Fran as Tier 2 programs.
Natties aren't everything.

Yeah I'm not sure I would put Florida that high. In the 2000s, sure. But before that, they were irrelevant more than they were relevant.

Yeah I'm not sure I would put Florida that high. In the 2000s, sure. But before that, they were irrelevant more than they relevant.

Yup.
Prior to Norm Sloan having 3 good seasons starting in '86-87, they did a whole lotta nada for DECADES.

And even after those 3 years, a whole lotta lean nada, then Lon Kruger had 1 great year in '93-94,
and then nada again until Billy the Kid's 3rd season in '98-99.

Without looking because I’m lazy, what kind of success did Gonzaga have prior to 2010? Can’t hold back Florida if programs like Gonzaga haven’t been elite until recently

Without looking because I’m lazy, what kind of success did Gonzaga have prior to 2010? Can’t hold back Florida if programs like Gonzaga haven’t been elite until recently
Prior to 1999 Gonzaga was known for Bing Crosby and John Stockton.
It wasn’t till that Elite 8 run in 1999 they did anything nationally.

They have filled the old UNLV vaccum from the 1980s and early 1990s under Shark.

Gonzaga is legit now but they don’t belong on alltime lists till they get to more than 1 Final Four.

You shouldn't be including Gonzaga. Problem solved. ;)

None prior to 99.

1. Duke Kentucky UNC Kansas Indiana UCLA
2. Syracuse Louisville Villanova Michigan St Gonzaga Michigan Ohio St Arizona
3. Who cares
This is pretty spot on, but totally disagree on Gonzaga. Tier 1 is correct and Tier 2 is just about right. Take out the Zags and put UConn in tier 2 instead (throwing up in my mouth as I type it). The problem with the Zags is that they’re a powerhouse in a middling conference (2-3 good programs), so they make the tourney every year and inflate their record and end up ranked all season. They’ve made 1 Final Four ever and have nowhere near the resume of the other schools.

This is pretty spot on, but totally disagree on Gonzaga. Tier 1 is correct and Tier 2 is just about right. Take out the Zags and put UConn in tier 2 instead (throwing up in my mouth as I type it). The problem with the Zags is that they’re a powerhouse in a middling conference (2-3 good programs), so they make the tourney every year and inflate their record and end up ranked all season. They’ve made 1 Final Four ever and have nowhere near the resume of the other schools.

#FACTS. :cool:

Including the throwing up in own mouth bit re: UConn. :vomit:

I'm in the camp that Indiana and UCLA aren't Tier 1 any longer;
but if this is strictly about all-time, then they do rate the top tier based on their historical success and numerous Natty's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom