Program tiers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Program tiers

Here’s a sobering stat;

Rutgers was picked for a Power 5 conference over Uconn.

Trashy program is trash.
I don't know if I would call them trash. Their fans are trash, their athletic department is trash, the state is mostly trash, the student population and faculty are all trash, but when you put them all together it's more like compost.

I don't know if I would call them trash. Their fans are trash, their athletic department is trash, the state is mostly trash, the student population and faculty are all trash, but when you put them all together it's more like compost.
Man, that's a broad, and somewhat silly, brush.

let's not forget that UConn, for the last 10 years has at best a .500 record in their league. That is a long time for being average. And yes, they won two titles in that time period, but 10 years of .500 ball is not impressive.

let's not forget that UConn, for the last 10 years has at best a .500 record in their league. That is a long time for being average. And yes, they won two titles in that time period, but 10 years of .500 ball is not impressive.
Hmm.. I guess it all boils down to what one considers what is success. I HATE Ucan't more than most but they do have 4 titles. In basketball that is the standard to evaluate no matter who they played. They still won.

Ugh , I just junior'd vomited typing that.

I realize there are some misguided souls on this board that currently reside in Connecticut. They can't be faulted for that.

People who think Ucant is a better program then us overall need to lock their accounts and go to the boneyard imo

Here’s a sobering stat;

Rutgers was picked for a Power 5 conference over Uconn.

Trashy program is trash.

You're not that naive right? Power 5 realignment was largely because of football. Rutgers didn't get the big 10 invite due to their basketball team. They got it for their market & football program which is hilarious to type out

I’d def leave Michigan and Ohio State in Tier 2. Michigan has like 7 or 8 Final Fours and a title. Florida and Virginia are very debatable as tier 2 (should be tier 3), but Florida at least has more of an argument for inclusion. No to Virginia.

They’re both top 20 programs no question. The problem is Syracuse is top 10 and so is Michigan state. Putting them in the same tier waters it down. Louisville, cuse, Michigan state and zona don’t belong in the same air as the others in that tier.

You're not that naive right? Power 5 realignment was largely because of football. Rutgers didn't get the big 10 invite due to their basketball team. They got it for their market & football program which is hilarious to type out

Potato, Po-trasho

By the way not for nothing but I’d bring up the fact that Uconn is one Amida Brimah free throw from having one NCAA tournament win in ten years but frankly thats beneath me.

UConn got passed by Rutgers for the Big Ten for one reason $$$$.

Rutgers got the BTN on cable boxes in NJ and NYC because of YES and the Yankees.

UConn’s location and population of its home state is why they didn’t get selected by the Big Ten.
The ACC passed because they led a lawsuit in 2003 against the conference and so in 2011 the conference chose Pitt over UConn as the second team with Syracuse because Pitt was a less hostile choice. Then the ACC chose
Louisville over UConn because Clemson and Florida State didn’t want another northeast basketball first school and used their political capital and influence to get Louisville over UConn.

UConn became relevant because of Calhoun. Their football program got a golden ticket to a BCS league and once the Big East got eaten up they weren’t up to sniff to become a P5 program.
Now they can just wilt away like they are.

The days of Rutgers posters encouraging each other to turn all of the TVs in the house on to the Rutgers game to make the ratings look better.

I don’t know you can discount National Championships if you are ranking teams in term of historical program success when putting them in ‘tiers’.

Most Championships:

1. UCLA - 10
2. Kentucky - 8
3. UNC - 6
4. Duke - 5
4. IU - 5

6. UConn - 4
7. Kansas - 3

8. Louisville - 2
8. Michigan State - 2
8. Florida - 2
8. Cincinnati - 2
8. NC State - 2
8, Oklahoma State - 2
8. University of San Francisco - 2

After that there are 20 schools in 15th place that each have one trophy, including Syracuse. Indiana has not won a championship since ‘87 but to say that discounts them is ludicrous. Granted they’ve not lived up to their tradition of greatness but they have not been irrelevant either.

UConn won their last one only 6 years ago.

Tell me how Syracuse is in the same tier as UConn and Indiana. Final Fours & winning seasons should absolutely be considered when ranking but even so, championships are the ultimate goal so in my opinion they should carry much more weight.

If the situation were reversed and Syracuse had UConn or IU’s pedigree and UConn/IU had SU’s, everybody would be screaming about how SU is 100% top tier and those other schools were far behind.

I’m not saying that just because a school has 1 or even 2 more NCs Than SU, that they should be in a higher tier than SU, but when you’re talking about 3 or 4 more, that‘s a big deal.

Forgot one program with 3...just saying.

Btw, miss you guys 2x a year. Good luck this next year, if and when it happens. Sure do hope it does, (we have a chance to be very good)

Hmm.. I guess it all boils down to what one considers what is success. I HATE Ucan't more than most but they do have 4 titles. In basketball that is the standard to evaluate no matter who they played. They still won.

Ugh , I just junior'd vomited typing that.
What’s SU’s conference record in the ACC? We are about 500 too.

Forgot one program with 3...just saying.

You are 100% correct. My bad. Villanova, 3X Champs and I would say that ‘Nova should be ranked higher than UConn. Better program all around.

How many consecutive winning seasons do we have? 40 something? Thats ludicrous

You are 100% correct. My bad. Villanova, 3X Champs and I would say that ‘Nova should be ranked higher than UConn. Better program all around.

LOL, no worries.. 5 FF and 3NC's yet quietly seem to just go about our business and somehow still sneak up on some folks.

You guys have been blessed (?-jk) with a tremendous coach for a long, long time. He has done a fantastic job building and keeping you guys relevant and a major player over decades. We have had 4 coaches since 1969 when JB started and we have had less turnover than most. Jack Kraft, (took team to FF with Howard Porter and lost to UCLA with Wooden and Sidney Wicks), Rollie--- 2nd best coach Nova has had, Steve Lappas-- squandered one of the most talented teams and players in Nova history in Kerry Kittles, and our GOAT - Jay (now been there for 19 years). BTW, Jay and JB seem to have a really good relationship--particularly through USBA.

There is absolutely no substitute for continuity and the coach being a major part of the "brand".

These types of topics are interesting.. everyone has their own point of view on why teams are or aren't at certain levels. I love when the whole "who is a blue blood" discussion gets going. That gets folks fired up.

BTW, didn't mean to comment so much on your board, I will shut up now!

If we are 2 of tier 2 that’s about right.

Also if we win in 2013 and do better in the ACC and not spend every single dang year looking up at UVA and Ville it’s 6 teams on top.

If we are 2 of tier 2 that’s about right.

Also if we win in 2013 and do better in the ACC and not spend every single dang year looking up at UVA and Ville it’s 6 teams on top.
There's a big reckoning (for lack of a better word) coming. A bunch of coaches will be gone a lot sooner than later and the identity of their replacements will affect the continuance of the dynasties. Relying on the school's past as a draw for recruits is not a sure thing, as UNC found out with Coach D'oh-erty. Duke was really good a couple of times in the old ACC under Bubas and Foster, but their "goodness" was like a sine wave.

LOL, no worries.. 5 FF and 3NC's yet quietly seem to just go about our business and somehow still sneak up on some folks.

You guys have been blessed (?-jk) with a tremendous coach for a long, long time. He has done a fantastic job building and keeping you guys relevant and a major player over decades. We have had 4 coaches since 1969 when JB started and we have had less turnover than most. Jack Kraft, (took team to FF with Howard Porter and lost to UCLA with Wooden and Sidney Wicks), Rollie--- 2nd best coach Nova has had, Steve Lappas-- squandered one of the most talented teams and players in Nova history in Kerry Kittles, and our GOAT - Jay (now been there for 19 years). BTW, Jay and JB seem to have a really good relationship--particularly through USBA.

There is absolutely no substitute for continuity and the coach being a major part of the "brand".

These types of topics are interesting.. everyone has their own point of view on why teams are or aren't at certain levels. I love when the whole "who is a blue blood" discussion gets going. That gets folks fired up.

BTW, didn't mean to comment so much on your board, I will shut up now!
No problem when opposing fans come over. Respectful, thoughtful discussion makes this board great. We got a resident Virginia fan here in this thread too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom