Project Rudy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Project Rudy

Alabama lost to Vanderbilt
Notre Dame lost to Northern Illinois
Florida State is 1-5

Instead of guaranteeing them a spot in the playoffs, relegate these entitled douchebags.

I don't like the relegation concept, I don't watch soccer and the idea is completely foreign to me. But at the same time I don't like the idea of any team being guaranteed spots over others.

I don't like the relegation concept, I don't watch soccer and the idea is completely foreign to me. But at the same time I don't like the idea of any team being guaranteed spots over others.
It’s gonna take tough solutions to get the bluest of blue bloods to the table. I think it should be equal for all but in reality it will be like the EPL where the blue bloods being relegated is not happening anyway

Life expectancy hasn't gone up near as much as people think. The difference, and this is technical, is that people aren't dying sooner. And that isn't a joke. The number of people who died before they were 5 100 years ago, was a very large number. If you lived past 5, you died about the same time as people die today. Not quite as good, but much closer than you think. And not for nothing but a great deal of money those PE firms use to develop those drugs we love, were funded by the feds. Not all. But a lot. And that is a great partnership.
There are a host of other reasons for increased life expectancy. Seat belt laws, air bags, MADD, murder rates, environmental laws. healthier life styles including less smoking, better access to health care, improved sanitation and hygiene and many other reasons.
More affordability of drugs in the US would probably do more for life expectancy than many new drugs. Let's also remember the drugs that created more issues than they helped as well as off label uses like fen-phen that killed many.
This is a very complicated issue that has little to do with PE.

What would happen or be the financial consequences if the ACC and Big XII merged similarly as the BT and SEC?
Could such an entity be financially successful? Or rival the BT/SEC comgolmerate? Or would that just create a permanent 2nd class citizenship for the ACC and Big XII?
Separately, they'd likely both fail because both leagues would be too small. It'd likely lead to a mexican standoff with scheduling and thus each would be relegated to playing a smaller season mostly against league opponents. The transfer portal isn't going away and neither is player compensation (directly, or through NIL). Best analogy I can come up with at this hour would be NBA (SEC/B1G) and G-League (ACC/B12). The top players from the ACC/B12 would likely leave after getting exposure to jump to SEC/B1G teams. The SEC/B1G as currently constituted is likely too small to sustain national interest.

Combining the P4 would put 70-ish teams with national appeal and coverage, but may still even be too small. Economically, some iteration of this league likely is the best from a size and appeal standpoint. The problem is the haves will likely not give a damn about the overall good of the sport and will care more about positioning themselves for their fiefdom.

I was generally okay with it up until the part about 8 "permanent" Tier-1 members. We keep perpetuating the stacking of the deck in favor of the teams that already have the most money and power. Let them compete on a level playing field...if they generate results, they'll continue to reap the rewards. If it's okay to let WVU or Kansas struggle to climb into the top tiers, it should be okay for Alabama to have to do the same if they have a run of bad seasons.
This.

F1 is structured this way. Where Ferrari gets a 5% bonus payment just because they’re Ferrari. It is not based on any performance, they automatically get it no matter what.

They haven’t won a title in ages, aren’t competing at the top top, yet still get more than everyone else, has the other teams scratching their heads.

Separately, they'd likely both fail because both leagues would be too small. It'd likely lead to a mexican standoff with scheduling and thus each would be relegated to playing a smaller season mostly against league opponents. The transfer portal isn't going away and neither is player compensation (directly, or through NIL). Best analogy I can come up with at this hour would be NBA (SEC/B1G) and G-League (ACC/B12). The top players from the ACC/B12 would likely leave after getting exposure to jump to SEC/B1G teams. The SEC/B1G as currently constituted is likely too small to sustain national interest.

Combining the P4 would put 70-ish teams with national appeal and coverage, but may still even be too small. Economically, some iteration of this league likely is the best from a size and appeal standpoint. The problem is the haves will likely not give a damn about the overall good of the sport and will care more about positioning themselves for their fiefdom.

I don't even think they need to break away from the NCAA. It wouldn't be very hard to get the B1G realistically to a national conference consisting of 8 divisions of 4. The SEC could go to a nationally 32 team conference as well, although it would be a slight stretch to get there (IMO over 24 starts the stretching for them). The divisions would be regional and keep yearly rivalry games active. WIn-Win.

Having 8 divisions also allows 8 different programs to be Kings at the same time. That is huge in keeping these brands. That IMO is a big problem currently. Brands have been tarnished as not everyone can be a King at the same time. Parity works in the NFL as the brand IS the NFL. But in CFB the brands are the individual schools. Parity is bad for CFB.

If the NCAA (aka theyselves) approves a 13th game, the P2 can set up big TV contracts. That would give everyone 7 home games and keep teams happy. Then you have 11 conference games (play everyone once in four years), one OOC P2 game, and one non P2 bought home game. That gives inventory of 196 P2 games and 32 non P2 games to sell. And most of those P2 games will be interregional since 8 conference games are out of division.

Since conferences can control how they pick their own champ and the NCAA has no teeth, the P2 can have a 12 team conference playoff: the 8 division champs plus 4 wildcards (which protects teams in hard divisions like Ohio State and Michigan). So 12 of 32 teams make the playoff. Those 11 games will be big $ to sell to the networks. So essentially the B1G would be like an NFC and the SEC like an AFC.

Since both conferences have their conference playoffs, they opt out of the NCAAT. Much like the Ivy opts out of the FCS tourny. So the NCAAT is for the non P2 and much like the NIT. Yes, the official NCAA Champ each year will be a non P2 team, but no one will really care.

Instead the B1G Champ and SEC Champ will meet in a Bowl game. Since that structure already exists, there is nothing new to approve. Everyone will consider the winner of that game as the real national champ (AP Poll, fans, etc). Create a fancy trophy and scene.

You can also approve a season kickoff game between the prior season P2 Champ and the current NCAA Champ. It would be a fun game to start the next season, kind of like the UEFA Super Cup. So those teams get a 14th game that year.

Its works only when there is a hitory of Pro teams that have seen all kinds of towns and neighborhoods have Pro teams with many of them waxing waning rather drastically across time, up and down, I'm terms of both Wins and Fan appeal. The relegation system meant that all teams could be protected within the larger system of Pro soccer.

That basic pattern is not true of CFB. Teams that fall off the map simply do not return.

Practically, if the G5 is included with relegation for all, then the next thing is that 1AA/FCS will be demanding full inclusion.

Right now, there is nothing to stop BT and SEC from their goal: those 2 teams taking full control over everything for both revenue sports. Something along these lines is the only option to preventing that.

If this is going to be 70 teams, then the start is each of the P4: ACC has 18 (the 17 plus ND); BT has 18; SEC has 16; Big 12 has 16. That totals 68. Washington St and Oregon St would make it 70 and make certain that all the P5 are in.

Schools like UConn, San Diego St, Boise ST, Memphis, USF, Fresno St, Tulane, etc would all make decent cases to be included.

I don't even think they need to break away from the NCAA. It wouldn't be very hard to get the B1G realistically to a national conference consisting of 8 divisions of 4. The SEC could go to a nationally 32 team conference as well, although it would be a slight stretch to get there (IMO over 24 starts the stretching for them). The divisions would be regional and keep yearly rivalry games active. WIn-Win.

Having 8 divisions also allows 8 different programs to be Kings at the same time. That is huge in keeping these brands. That IMO is a big problem currently. Brands have been tarnished as not everyone can be a King at the same time. Parity works in the NFL as the brand IS the NFL. But in CFB the brands are the individual schools. Parity is bad for CFB.

If the NCAA (aka theyselves) approves a 13th game, the P2 can set up big TV contracts. That would give everyone 7 home games and keep teams happy. Then you have 11 conference games (play everyone once in four years), one OOC P2 game, and one non P2 bought home game. That gives inventory of 196 P2 games and 32 non P2 games to sell. And most of those P2 games will be interregional since 8 conference games are out of division.

Since conferences can control how they pick their own champ and the NCAA has no teeth, the P2 can have a 12 team conference playoff: the 8 division champs plus 4 wildcards (which protects teams in hard divisions like Ohio State and Michigan). So 12 of 32 teams make the playoff. Those 11 games will be big $ to sell to the networks. So essentially the B1G would be like an NFC and the SEC like an AFC.

Since both conferences have their conference playoffs, they opt out of the NCAAT. Much like the Ivy opts out of the FCS tourny. So the NCAAT is for the non P2 and much like the NIT. Yes, the official NCAA Champ each year will be a non P2 team, but no one will really care.

Instead the B1G Champ and SEC Champ will meet in a Bowl game. Since that structure already exists, there is nothing new to approve. Everyone will consider the winner of that game as the real national champ (AP Poll, fans, etc). Create a fancy trophy and scene.

You can also approve a season kickoff game between the prior season P2 Champ and the current NCAA Champ. It would be a fun game to start the next season, kind of like the UEFA Super Cup. So those teams get a 14th game that year.
Agreed that what you propose could work. I was merely trying to answer the question posed, which effectively was asking could the ACC/B12 merge now as standalone and try to compete with the SEC/B1G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom