Proposed NCAA Rule Changes | Syracusefan.com

Proposed NCAA Rule Changes

the last 2 things are nice. but you go half a season without either one happening in a game you are watching.

think about it this way..

Imagine if a team cant kick a fg because they have to switch ends and now kick into a 50 mph wind..

DO something like lineup offsides on the FG on 4th and 20 and block it and then the team is screwed going the other way..

1679750768634.png

Change is coming to the transfer portal in college football and other sports after the NCAA issued an updated memo for undergraduates who are multiple-time transfers.

"In all sports, four-year undergraduate student athletes who decide to transfer to a new NCAA school can generally be eligible to compete for the new school provided that they have not previously transferred and notify their current school by entering the NCAA Transfer Portal during their sport-specific transfer window," the document said.
What's new: The NCAA approved legislation to limit waivers for second-time transfer players. Now, any undergraduates who transfer a second time, or any other time after that, must meet specific guidelines in order to be eligible for immediate playing time starting with the 2023-24 season or risk sitting out a year between transfers.

The exceptions: There are three reasons why an undergraduate transfer waiver will be considered in the future for any multiple-time transfers, effective for the 2023-24 eligibility:

1. For reasons related to the student-athletes' physical or mental well-being;
  2. Due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete's control (e.g. physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or
  3. Assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities
Why the change: The NCAA wants to rein in the number of players using the transfer portal, a figure that has exceeded 2,000 just in the first transfer window after the 2022 college football season. Of those, at least 120 are quarterbacks.
The rule in action: As an example, this new rule would have affected the career trajectory of quarterback JT Daniels. The former 5-star played at USC (2018-19) then at Georgia (2020-21) and then West Virginia (2022) before moving to Rice. Had this rule been in place, Daniels would have needed to graduate between each of his other two transfers or sit out and use up a year of eligibility.
Undergrads only: The new rule applies only to undergraduates and not graduates, who are still eligible to play immediately should they transfer.

Very disappointing and weak response to a major problem. Really hoped with the great measures MLB just took, college football would get its head out of the sand and enact meaningful change.

I guess it is slightly better than nothing.

The exceptions: There are three reasons why an undergraduate transfer waiver will be considered in the future for any multiple-time transfers, effective for the 2023-24 eligibility:

1. For reasons related to the student-athletes' physical or mental well-being;
  2. Due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete's control (e.g. physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or
  3. Assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities
Nothing new here. If you call Justin Fields a bad name he can immediately transfer to Ohio State if they need him.

Very disappointing and weak response to a major problem. Really hoped with the great measures MLB just took, college football would get its head out of the sand and enact meaningful change.

I guess it is slightly better than nothing.
They let them selves open to a lawsuit trying to change the transfer rule back.
Once they let it happen they won't be able to change it back.
If they get sued the judge will rule the original rule stands until all litigation is resolved.

If they get sued the judge will rule the original rule stands until all litigation is resolved.
I was talking here specifically about rule changes designed to shorten the time required to complete college football games….

I was talking here specifically about rule changes designed to shorten the time required to complete college football games….
Sorry thought you meant all the changes, agree they need to shorten the time of games.

The biggest issue I see regarding the length of games is the number of reviews and how long they take.

As far as the transfer rules, they’re just vague enough so as not to inhibit the factories benefitting.

Everyone keeps saying this but never says why the plaintiff player will win. Suing someone just costs the filing fee. What are the arguments for winning the suit? "Antitrust"? What part of "antitrust"? Please keep in mind that the Northwestern players union case doesn't apply to state schools.

The biggest issue I see regarding the length of games is the number of reviews and how long they take.

As far as the transfer rules, they’re just vague enough so as not to inhibit the factories benefitting.
dont forget the added time for longer commercial breaks

I think the first down rule might really help. What other ideas do you think they should have implemented?

dont forget the added time for longer commercial breaks

It is a joke. If networks can figure out how to make money on soccer games, they can figure out how to make money with 1 min TV breaks instead of 3:10 breaks.

I think the first down rule might really help. What other ideas do you think they should have implemented?

Reviews take forever. Just look at the NCAA tournament. If after 90 seconds you can't find an angle to change the call just stick with what was initially called.

Reviews take forever. Just look at the NCAA tournament. If after 90 seconds you can't find an angle to change the call just stick with what was initially called.
This. How hard is it to timebox the decision? If there is clear and conclusive evidence to overturn the decision it should be discernable in 60 seconds or less. And it should be the result of a coaching challenge (give each coach 2 challenges), not the booth.

This. How hard is it to timebox the decision? If there is clear and conclusive evidence to overturn the decision it should be discernable in 60 seconds or less. And it should be the result of a coaching challenge (give each coach 2 challenges), not the booth.
with the wifi in the dome in prior years maybe an issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom