Props to Cooney as our offensive production has become a lot better | Syracusefan.com

Props to Cooney as our offensive production has become a lot better

Alsacs

Living Legend
I was worried about being able to average 65ppg. Gotta give credit to Trevor Cooney for leading the turn around on the offensive end. Gbinije, Cooney, Roberson, Christmas and one of McCollough/Joseph is a solid offensive team right now.

We need to start banking these ACC wins with our early schedule and we can definitely accomplish the goal for this season and just make the NCAA tournament anything after that would be gravy.

I don't think scoring is the problem anymore. It's keeping the other team from scoring. Our D was awful in the first half, as was our assist to turnover ratio. We give away way too many possessions and easy buckets still. Really good teams will make us pay for those lapses.

Both Cooney and G need to become full-service operators for SU to succeed IMHO. That means Cooney needs to drive and/or take mid-range jumpers and G needs to take threes when he's open. With Rak as an ever-present inside threat, there should always be an opportunity for one of the three to get a good shot. That leaves the other two positions needing to be only occasional contributors, which is about all that the youth of Kaleb and McC will permit and which should take some pressure off them in offensive sets. Roberson needs to keep wiping glass, and Buss (I do hope he gets to play) needs to provide spark, energy and good passing -- any shots he makes are pure bonus.

The question I would have liked to ask JB at his post-game presser is: Do you view the press as a useful defense or a desperation defense? I wish the former but fear the latter.-VBOF

The question I would have liked to ask JB at his post-game presser is: Do you view the press as a useful defense or a desperation defense? I wish the former but fear the latter.-VBOF

The canned Boeheim reply, every season:

"We're not a good pressing team."

The canned Boeheim reply, every season:

"We're not a good pressing team."

He said in his presser that it was "useful" "got us back in there quickly" "they made some mistakes" "we try it but you never know" . . . . . . LOL anything but we were good in the press. He obviously doesn't like pressing and never will.

...and somewhere out in syracuse nation, a couple of posters who have a vested personal interest in claiming that Cooney stinks and is D3 caliber are unhappy that he's doing well.

...and somewhere out in syracuse nation, a couple of posters who have a vested personal interest in claiming that Cooney stinks and is D3 caliber are unhappy that he's doing well.

I think it will be hardest on this contingent next season when Cooney looks poised to put together an excellent senior campaign.

If Cooney continues his pace he has a great chance to reach 1000 points this year especially if we play 2 games in each tourney. He's shooting career bests from the floor and FT line while being basically right on last years percentage from 3. He has doubled his assists from last season while also rebounding slightly better. So basically he is continuing to improve while making the transition from complimentary player to focal point player.

Edit: To add to this Cooney is currantly 13th on the all time 3's made list and on pace to finish 7th at the end of this year which would put him within striking distance of Andy's 290ish mark with a big senior season.

Last edited:
Both Cooney and G need to become full-service operators for SU to succeed IMHO. That means Cooney needs to drive and/or take mid-range jumpers and G needs to take threes when he's open. With Rak as an ever-present inside threat, there should always be an opportunity for one of the three to get a good shot. That leaves the other two positions needing to be only occasional contributors, which is about all that the youth of Kaleb and McC will permit and which should take some pressure off them in offensive sets. Roberson needs to keep wiping glass, and Buss (I do hope he gets to play) needs to provide spark, energy and good passing -- any shots he makes are pure bonus.

The offensive improvement has stemmed from a major tactical (maybe even strategic) shift. The half court offense is now being initiated from 3 different directions--Joseph, Cooney and Gbinije. Giving that responsibility to a single point guard has been SOP in the past. This change may have been forced by Joseph's inability to handle the job on his own. Whatever the reason, the offense now looks more dynamic and free-flowing, and, frankly, more fun to watch.

As to the press--JB uses it to get his own team going, not necessarily to disrupt the opposition.

I like Cooney but let's not ignore that he uncharacteristically had 6 turnovers last night.

I can't wait to see how pissed people are going to be when Cooney declares for the draft. couchburn

I like Cooney but let's not ignore that he uncharacteristically had 6 turnovers last night.

Yeah, that was kinda crappy from him. But I do now wonder what the highest in-game turnover numbers are/were for all SU guards in the past. Seems like everyone has done that at least once. Don't even wanna talk about what non-guard Warrick did in that Vermont game...

I hope he never repeats that (at least in big games), but he is transitioning into a broader guard role/responsibility. Maybe G's emergence will take some pressure off of Cooney.

xc84 said:

Very uncharacteristic. But then many weren't turnovers due to sloppy ball handling. He got 2 on in bounds plays where the defender just made great athletic plays. Another was when he went around a player and got the ball a second too soon while having his foot on the sideline.