PROUD of the direction the program is headed in... | Syracusefan.com

PROUD of the direction the program is headed in...

Rocco

Watching you.
It seems like Dino & Co really have a good thing going here. Obviously, there are some glaring concerns surrounding the medical staff and some of the fringe DQ's that have occurred to a few of our better players, but taken as a whole, it feels we're trending in the right direction.

The offense is enjoyable to watch and seems to mesh well with fans, both young and old. Once this offense starts clicking on all cylinders in a year or two, while playing in a controlled climate for home games, could really grow the fan base and turn some heads. Our roster is starting to fill up with speed and players that correlate well with the hurry-up offense. Every position is starting to stockpile better players so we can slowly build these players up and take advantage of the much-needed redshirt for most freshmen. Add in the current year's recruiting class and gets even better.

The defense is certainly getting overlooked, as it should be after last year's performance. I think they will be greatly improved this year even with the glaring depth and experience issues along the DL. Our LBs and CBs are incredibly deep and strong, but will have a big task in helping out the razor-thin DL. This "helping the DL" invites getting smoked over the top by the long ball. Tricky situation for Brian Ward & Co.

The S&C program and staff have grown leaps and bounds, literally. Listening to the way Edinger and his staff talk about developing and molding the players to fit this system is amazing. The conditioning needed to be a member of this team is on a whole other level. These guys have done one helluva job getting them into top shape and hopefully ready for the grind of a grueling 2017 schedule. Just look at what they've done with Dungey's body. They know what they want to do and they execute accordingly.

Recruiting continues to improve. As we all know, it's all begins with recruiting the right players. To see what this staff is capable of has shown in the 2018 recruiting class. Traction is starting to build in the right areas. Some of the offensive skill players, as well as a few of the defensive guys we've landed so far, are impressive. Their respective offer sheets are high quality. If I'm a stud DT or DE, I'm closely watching Cuse this year. There would potentially be an incredible opportunity to come in early on and contribute.

As you can tell, I'm kinda excited. I cannot frigging wait for this season to kick off.

LGO!

Defense should not be overlooked -- it was a big point of the emphasis for the staff in the off-season, bringing in 3 grad transfers and 4 jucos. And, the defense dominated the recent scrimmage, per all reports. The DL will have to rely on the emergence of young players -- Coleman, Black, Williams, Ruff and the 3 juco linemen -- and it might just surprise some people.

The offense might click this year, somewhere in games 4 to 6, as Babers has experienced at E. Illinois and BGSU. The ingredients are in place with inherited talent in Dungey, Phillips, Ishmael, Strickland. Meanwhile, we can wait and hope for Babers' skill position recruits to help the core group, starting with Pierce at TE.

Defense should not be overlooked -- it was a big point of the emphasis for the staff in the off-season, bringing in 3 grad transfers and 4 jucos. And, the defense dominated the recent scrimmage, per all reports. The DL will have to rely on the emergence of young players -- Coleman, Black, Williams, Ruff and the 3 juco linemen -- and it might just surprise some people.

The offense might click this year, somewhere in games 4 to 6, as Babers has experienced at E. Illinois and BGSU. The ingredients are in place with inherited talent in Dungey, Phillips, Ishmael, Strickland. Meanwhile, we can wait and hope for Babers' skill position recruits to help the core group, starting with Pierce at TE.

I agree in regards to the talent. I'll just bite my tongue a bit because of the terrifyingly shallow depth along the DL. We really, really need to stay healthy this year.

As for the offense, it could certainly "click" this year. I would not be surprised to see that, but I also think that our schedule this year prevents that. Babers has even mentioned that this install might take longer than his previous stops due to the increased level of play across the board. Also, it's much harder to recruit at this level when competing with everyone else for the needed talent.

I would love to see 7 wins this year, but we really, really need to get 6. Getting to a bowl game and qualifying for those 15 extra practices are incredibly important for this ongoing transition.

I agree in regards to the talent. I'll just bite my tongue a bit because of the terrifyingly shallow depth along the DL. We really, really need to stay healthy this year.

As for the offense, it could certainly "click" this year. I would not be surprised to see that, but I also think that our schedule this year prevents that. Babers has even mentioned that this install might take longer than his previous stops due to the increased level of play across the board. Also, it's much harder to recruit at this level when competing with everyone else for the needed talent.

I would love to see 7 wins this year, but we really, really need to get 6. Getting to a bowl game and qualifying for those 15 extra practices are incredibly important for this ongoing transition.

We need to be more efficient on O, converting yards and possessions to points at a higher rate, less 3 and outs - and the D goes from a bit better (talent and understanding of scheme) to playing with a lead and a more sizable improvement, IMHO.

I think we'll be favored at home vs Pitt. That's the game to watch.

It seems like Dino & Co really have a good thing going here. Obviously, there are some glaring concerns surrounding the medical staff and some of the fringe DQ's that have occurred to a few of our better players, but taken as a whole, it feels we're trending in the right direction.

The offense is enjoyable to watch and seems to mesh well with fans, both young and old. Once this offense starts clicking on all cylinders in a year or two, while playing in a controlled climate for home games, could really grow the fan base and turn some heads. Our roster is starting to fill up with speed and players that correlate well with the hurry-up offense. Every position is starting to stockpile better players so we can slowly build these players up and take advantage of the much-needed redshirt for most freshmen. Add in the current year's recruiting class and gets even better.

The defense is certainly getting overlooked, as it should be after last year's performance. I think they will be greatly improved this year even with the glaring depth and experience issues along the DL. Our LBs and CBs are incredibly deep and strong, but will have a big task in helping out the razor-thin DL. This "helping the DL" invites getting smoked over the top by the long ball. Tricky situation for Brian Ward & Co.

The S&C program and staff have grown leaps and bounds, literally. Listening to the way Edinger and his staff talk about developing and molding the players to fit this system is amazing. The conditioning needed to be a member of this team is on a whole other level. These guys have done one helluva job getting them into top shape and hopefully ready for the grind of a grueling 2017 schedule. Just look at what they've done with Dungey's body. They know what they want to do and they execute accordingly.

Recruiting continues to improve. As we all know, it's all begins with recruiting the right players. To see what this staff is capable of has shown in the 2018 recruiting class. Traction is starting to build in the right areas. Some of the offensive skill players, as well as a few of the defensive guys we've landed so far, are impressive. Their respective offer sheets are high quality. If I'm a stud DT or DE, I'm closely watching Cuse this year. There would potentially be an incredible opportunity to come in early on and contribute.

As you can tell, I'm kinda excited. I cannot frigging wait for this season to kick off.

LGO!
Game 4 would be quite the game for our offense to start clicking ;)

To put "shallow depth" at DL in context, we have depth issues in several spots -- Dungey needs to stay healthy, same for Phillips, Ishmael & Strickland. The reserves behind the starting OTs are RsFs, who weren't impressive in the Spring game. Behind Pierce at TE, we have a true frosh.

So, when we look at the DL, we have 2 4th year DTs, a promising 2nd year in Williams, plus 3 young back-ups with size. It isn't great depth, but it is not different from the depth in other position units (LB being the exception).

I expect the offense will click (meaning the QB, the skill players and the returning OL will have had ample time to absorb the pace and schemes). It may not make any difference against LSU, Florida State, Clemson & Louisville. Yes, it is different than at BGSU, where Babers inherited all the offensive talent from a 10-4 team and clicked in 2015 when the starting QB returned.

Still, with an improved defense, and with the core of the offense in place, this team should be in position to compete with NC State and Pitt and people will come around.

Well, it's that time of year again - every year since 1987 - by late August I start thinking, hey! We can beat everyone on our schedule! Just kidding. It is a great time of year though. And I'm very optimistic about the future. Looking forward to some shootouts and maybe an upset or two! And finally getting Syracuse back into the conversation. If we can just achieve a little balance running the ball - watch out!

To put "shallow depth" at DL in context, we have depth issues in several spots -- Dungey needs to stay healthy, same for Phillips, Ishmael & Strickland. The reserves behind the starting OTs are RsFs, who weren't impressive in the Spring game. Behind Pierce at TE, we have a true frosh.

So, when we look at the DL, we have 2 4th year DTs, a promising 2nd year in Williams, plus 3 young back-ups with size. It isn't great depth, but it is not different from the depth in other position units (LB being the exception).

I expect the offense will click (meaning the QB, the skill players and the returning OL will have had ample time to absorb the pace and schemes). It may not make any difference against LSU, Florida State, Clemson & Louisville. Yes, it is different than at BGSU, where Babers inherited all the offensive talent from a 10-4 team and clicked in 2015 when the starting QB returned.

Still, with an improved defense, and with the core of the offense in place, this team should be in position to compete with NC State and Pitt and people will come around.

Can't disagree with you here.

LGO!

Awesome post and love the juice and exuberance! My only contention is your defensive comments. This unit can only improve. Yes, the backers and corners are deep on paper but all, from the 1's down to the 3's have something to prove. So many question marks with so many layers to seeking success. Will the backers learn and be more comfortable with playing in space, covering and tackling sideline to sideline? This begins with Zaire. Our backers got torched in coverage last year. Also, can tbe corners just hold their own and cover a second longer allowing safeties to react and DEs to get home. The T2, in their defense is a rough, tough scheme to throw at s college kid. Hopefully, a year in the system will give better results. Yup, the entire D has something to prove.

We need to be more efficient on O, converting yards and possessions to points at a higher rate, less 3 and outs - and the D goes from a bit better (talent and understanding of scheme) to playing with a lead and a more sizable improvement, IMHO.

Agree, pivotal game and if the timing is right; a game we can have a good crowd at, and win:)

The biggest benefiting factor for the defense will be an increase in offensive efficiency.

Sustained drives will give breathers (help in fact), and they will cut down on the opponent's offensive possessions (help on paper).

Playing w/ a lead will also help a lot.

However, the name of the game this season is recruiting. We will do well if our recruiting picks up, and we will fail if it doesn't.

Next season (season 3) is where wins start mattering a LOT. Wins always matter, but if we can't start winning significant games in year 3, we have a significant problem.

("Significant" doesn't necessarily mean "beat FSU on a consistent basis," but it probably does mean "beat teams like Pitt more often than not.")

LGO!

Great write up. Captures where I think most of us are at.

I think number of Ws will be in direct correlation with how the Oline comes together. This is obviously the case most years for most teams but if we can't run the ball and burn some clock then our Dine depth, or lack thereof, will really show through. We aren't built for 4+ hour games, and by the time we are we'll be putting backups in by the 4th quarter.

Curious who steps up to try and fill the massive shoes left by Steven Clark. Feel like having him alone would worth a W or 2 this season but we can only play who we've got. Hope the Oline exceeds expectations to paper over that loss until we can get a couple more of his caliber into the mix.

The biggest benefiting factor for the defense will be an increase in offensive efficiency.

Sustained drives will give breathers (help in fact), and they will cut down on the opponent's offensive possessions (help on paper).

However, the name of the game this season is recruiting. We will do well if our recruiting picks up, and we will fail if it doesn't.

Next season (season 3) is where wins start mattering a LOT. Wins always matter, but if we can't start winning significant games in year 3, we have a significant problem.

("Significant" doesn't necessarily mean "beat FSU on a consistent basis," but it probably does mean "beat teams like Pitt more often than not.")

I agree that season 3 is pivotal. Recruiting for 2018 has been on point lately. The current crop of kids that are committed are a higher level of kids than we've seen in years (when looking at them as a whole). Add a few more key recruiting wins throughout this year and we will have a top 35-40 class, maybe better.

Awesome post and love the juice and exuberance! My only contention is your defensive comments. This unit can only improve. Yes, the backers and corners are deep on paper but all, from the 1's down to the 3's have something to prove. So many question marks with so many layers to seeking success. Will the backers learn and be more comfortable with playing in space, covering and tackling sideline to sideline? This begins with Zaire. Our backers got torched in coverage last year. Also, can tbe corners just hold their own and cover a second longer allowing safeties to react and DEs to get home. The T2, in their defense is a rough, tough scheme to throw at s college kid. Hopefully, a year in the system will give better results. Yup, the entire D has something to prove.

I completely understand that the D has no place to go but up from here. I am just really concerned about the DL. The LBs and CBs have depth and experience, but getting blown off the ball at the LOS really disrupts what these other units can do. They're only going to be as good as their weakest link. Ward really has his work cut out for him. Fully expect to see more JUCO DL for next year's team, along with hopefully bringing a few kids they can develop out of HS.

Our recruiting has picked up, but still has a way to go. Given our natural limitations, I'd settle for top 30 classes as a realistic goal.

I honestly think we're looking at a decent jump in O and D this season. I think it's enough to get Pitt, and maybe NC State.

The most unfortunate part about the DQs is we could have been 10-11 deep on the DL without dipping down to true freshmen. 5 DTs, 6 DEs (assuming we took Robinson regardless).

Start 3-0, try to steal NC State or Louisville, but laser focus on Pitt/BC/Wake in the Dome.

13 game season, let's go...

I am more excited for this season than I have been in the past few years. That has a lot to do with the direction of program under HCDB and the AD. Meeting both of them it appears they are all in on making the football team the best they can.

I think number of Ws will be in direct correlation with how the Oline comes together. This is obviously the case most years for most teams but if we can't run the ball and burn some clock then our Dine depth, or lack thereof, will really show through. .

To me, I am most concerned by losing 5 guys on the DL so far. That was a punch in the gut.

Big smile hearing you talk about efficiency. Now we just gotta get to those 15 wins after year 3. ; )

If LSU is up +20 or greater at the half pull all the starters, especially Dungey

Can't lose Slayton or Conway for any games this season. Both players are key to letting everyone else do their jobs.

We have an amazing number of players coming back this year. I agree that these guys need to stay healthy. We really don't have a position other than CB that we can afford an injury this year.

Next year we will have a boatload of players coming back as well. Fairly young roster, very good spot to be in.

Big smile hearing you talk about efficiency. Now we just gotta get to those 15 wins after year 3. ; )

Not rocket science. I think it's easy to go fast. But to go fast and play well, consistently? I think that's the hallmark of what makes a Babers O very hard to stop.

It's the mantra "consistently good not occasionally great" actually played out on the field and in the stats.

Ps Babers has floated 15 games *this* season a couple of times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom