PS: Clark's Ale House Closing Today | Syracusefan.com

PS: Clark's Ale House Closing Today

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
SYRACUSE, NY -- Clark's Ale House, which debuted in 1992 as one of the first bars in Central New York to focus on high end craft and imported beers, is for sale.

If a buyer is not found, the bar will close Nov. 1, when the current lease for the space at the corner of South Salina and East Washington streets is up, said ale house founder Ray Clark. John Funiciello, president of building owner JF Real Estate, confirmed that Clark's has opted to terminate the lease by that date...

CoZkC_wXgAA0oT7.jpg

Clark's Ale House in Syracuse for sale, will close if no buyer is found

That's awful. I try to stop in there a couple times a month for a beef with chedder.

That's awful. I try to stop in there a couple times a month for a beef with chedder.

I do my best to try to do the same thing. Ray tried to recreate the old Clark's Ale House but couldn't do it. Frankly, I don't think his heart was in it--he never was there nearly as often as he was at the old place. As a matter of fact, I was there a few weeks ago and actually saw him there. I then overheard a conversation he had with a friend/customer as he said "I'm never here." That kind of sums it up, sadly. I can understand that the fire in the belly can burn out, but it is still sad to behold.

Ray will always remain the iconic pioneer in enlightening CNY to the wonders of craft beer. I truly believe WiFi and the rise of smart phone technology was at the heart of Clark's Ale House's demise. RIP.

I do my best to try to do the same thing. Ray tried to recreate the old Clark's Ale House but couldn't do it. Frankly, I don't think his heart was in it--he never was there nearly as often as he was at the old place. As a matter of fact, I was there a few weeks ago and actually saw him there. I then overheard a conversation he had with a friend/customer as he said "I'm never here." That kind of sums it up, sadly. I can understand that the fire in the belly can burn out, but it is still sad to behold.

Ray will always remain the iconic pioneer in enlightening CNY to the wonders of craft beer. I truly believe WiFi and the rise of smart phone technology was at the heart of Clark's Ale House's demise. RIP.
I personally think that outside of the food his niche concept in downtown Syracuse was over when he closed the other place. Every Bar has craft beers. IMO, the blue tusk was a better experience.

I personally think that outside of the food his niche concept in downtown Syracuse was over when he closed the other place. Every Bar has craft beers. IMO, the blue tusk was a better experience.

You're right about that but we have to give Ray credit for being a pioneer in the craft beer movement in CNY.

PS: I always found that the beer served at the Tusk was always too damn cold. You'd have wait for some of the chill to dissipate before you could taste any flavor.

Went there once or twice a week after work, but the writing was on the wall. Nobody was ever there.

The excuse-making in that article is brutal. Come on, just recognize that other establishments are now doing a better job of what you do.

In hindsight, the space was probably twice as big as they needed. Tough to make a go of it with that millstone around your neck. But there's a reason those enormous crowds faded after their first month - a lot of people weren't impressed with what Clark's offered in its new location.

Like others mentioned every bar has craft beers now so clarks has lost that appeal. I was there recently on a weekend night for the first time in its new location. It felt awkward to say the least. 1130 at night with no tvs no music and maybe 6 other people there so you could hear everything everyone was saying. I wish them all the best, but this day and age with technology having such an impact on us , it's unfortunate clarks didn't change with the times.

I think you pretty much nailed it. In today's world unless your an institution that has been going strong in the same place 20-30 years its very difficult for a niche concept like that to thrive. Even Tusk has a few TV's so that if there is a big game or something going on people have access to it. Also as someone noted the location is out on an island and there really isn't much in the way of nearby parking. Clarks would have been better of opening in the heart of armory to catch that Empire/Tusk crowd or trying a smaller location out in the burbs. Now and Later which is a very similar concept is thriving right now on Tip Hill.

They messed with the horseradish. The stuff at the old Clarks would melt your face with even a small amount. I had to slather the new stuff on just to taste it. Just wasn't the same. Not being able to match the old experience and poor location doomed this place. Honestly I prefer WoB to Clarks at this point.

Why didn't Clark's try to lease the space formerly occupied by Ambrosia? That, to me, remains the best location for a bar/restaurant in Armory... and unless I missed it, the space continues to sit vacant. It wouldn't surprise me if the city puts up obstacles or charges an absurdly high rent.

I saw Doug Clark sittting out front the other day, complete with his black cap. Figured it was closing and he was there to enjoy it one more time before they close.

Beers are way too small at Clarks.

Yes, those little glass mugs suck. The roast beef sandwiches aren't the same either.

Every craft beer place is trying to sell you smaller mugs, some with fluted tops, to keep in the carbonation and for taste. Just like when people serve you wine in a big glass that's about 1/4 full. Yes, the gourmet knows why, but to others, it seems like a bad deal.

Why didn't Clark's try to lease the space formerly occupied by Ambrosia? That, to me, remains the best location for a bar/restaurant in Armory... and unless I missed it, the space continues to sit vacant. It wouldn't surprise me if the city puts up obstacles or charges an absurdly high rent.

From my understanding, the landlord at that location is not easy to work with and the rent is too damn high

8979789-large.jpg

Yes, those little glass mugs suck. The roast beef sandwiches aren't the same either.

Every craft beer place is trying to sell you smaller mugs, some with fluted tops, to keep in the carbonation and for taste. Just like when people serve you wine in a big glass that's about 1/4 full. Yes, the gourmet knows why, but to others, it seems like a bad deal.

Its the problem I have with this craft beer era. Fluck the carbonation and taste. I hate these people who sniff the beer and swirl it around like its a damn glass of wine. Grow a sack and give me a tall boy and keep the damn glass.

From my understanding, the landlord at that location is not easy to work with and the rent is too damn high
But if it's not leased the landlord collects $0. I don't get it.

From what I have heard the owner of that building is "difficult" to work with and probably charges too high of a rent for anything to survive.

But if it's not leased the landlord collects $0. I don't get it.

Seems obvious but some people don't have the business sense or let their ego get in the way. Its a perfect location with lots a windows...its a shame that it sits empty.

8979789-large.jpg

Are we talking about the southwest corner of Franklin and Walton? Where that overpriced restaurant 'borrowed' the Pastabilities bread recipe and went out of business in 2014? Because, yeah, the rent is high and the space is still way too big.

But this assumes that the management at Clark's had a good strategy in relocating the business. I'm not convinced they did (and the bizarre comments about parking and the Landmark in the article don't do anything to change my mind). The Landmark retail space at Salina and Jefferson (like three storefronts from their old space) was made available to them before they closed. Cafe Kubal's made a killing across the street, there's a lot of new development over there, and the space is the right size (and would've allowed Clark's to reopen without that four-year wait), but they turned it down.

Everything associated with the closing and move has been so clumsy, I just don't think they had it in them to sustain a popular business anymore.

Its the problem I have with this craft beer era. Fluck the carbonation and taste. I hate these people who sniff the beer and swirl it around like its a damn glass of wine. Grow a sack and give me a tall boy and keep the damn glass.
I smell all of my beers first. It's all about the flavor. And you know, the buzz.

Am I the only one who thinks the new Clark's is a perfectly good bar?

The problem is not the location, the beer, or the food, the problem is the owners are older and don't really want to do the work to it takes to run a bar anymore. I hope someone buys it.

The problem is not the location, the beer, or the food, the problem is the owners are older and don't really want to do the work to it takes to run a bar anymore. I hope someone buys it.
Agreed...I'm fine with what it is and enjoy it. Who doesn't like great beer, great sandwiches, and peanuts?

I think it's a pretty good bar, still dig the no music/no TV thing (though a lot of people don't, and it's unpleasant to sit with friends who are impatient and whiny about the lack of music/TV). For my tastes, it's way more pleasant than the Biergarten and, while J. Ryan's is friendlier, more comfortable, and has a better selection, Clark's is a safer bet to converse with a group in a chill environment.

My gripes, aside from the ownership's odd comments and general behavior:

Staff isn't the most helpful or welcoming.
The sandwich, in my experience, is mediocre. I did not enjoy those dry hard rolls they switched to. If they're back to a decent onion roll from Harrison or someplace, it could be a whole different thing.
The space is too big. I don't see how anyone can generate enough revenue from this sort of concept to pay the rent on that many square feet. It's a beer bar with a limited menu and reasonable prices. I'm not in the business of finding solutions to those problems, but I think an owner would need some higher margin items (liquor) and a steadier stream of customers (full dinner service? live music? do they still have trivia?) to stay in business.