PS: Clark's Ale House Closing Today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Clark's Ale House Closing Today

Agreed...I'm fine with what it is and enjoy it. Who doesn't like great beer, great sandwiches, and peanuts?

Agreed, I hope the neighborhood can support a bar like that (assuming they've made the tweaks that people asked for and they're back to serving great sandwiches). If it's in a halfway desirable location, though, it might be tough to do those things in more than 1,000 square feet.

I went there a lot before the SU bball games last fall, the last time I was there a bat was flying around the bar. Just about the entire bar hightailed it out of there once it started swooping over our heads. I never saw Ray once all the times I went there. It's too bad it's closing but I'm not surprised. And the gripe about parking is incorrect, there is a lot directly across the street. The old Clark's didn't have any parking at all and it didn't matter.

it's hard to make money in the restaurant/bar business if you don't own the building.

Am I the only one who thinks the new Clark's is a perfectly good bar?

The problem is not the location, the beer, or the food, the problem is the owners are older and don't really want to do the work to it takes to run a bar anymore. I hope someone buys it.
I agree. Its stale as hell in there.

Its the problem I have with this craft beer era. Fluck the carbonation and taste. I hate these people who sniff the beer and swirl it around like its a damn glass of wine. Grow a sack and give me a tall boy and keep the damn glass.
No not fluck the carbonation and taste. And what's wrong with smelling it before you drink it? I usually take a deep whiff of my wings and steaks too, why? Not because I'm fussing over them, because they smell good! That's why and so does good beer. If all you want is an alcohol delivery device then your tall boys will do the trick, have at it. But just because I like the smell of my beer and the taste doesn't mean I fawn over it like some brand new mother with a day old baby. You don't want a glass, fine, I like my 2L boot and 1L Dimpled mug. Think craft beer drinkers need to grow a pair? Come do a boot with me and we'll see if you feel the same.

I'd also like to add that craft beer = what beer is everywhere else in the world. American Adjunct lagers are watered down and made with cheap ingredients. Kinda like Bar S hot dogs.

Let's all chip in and buy this!

Clarks Ale House sponsored by SyracuseFan.com

I went there a lot over the winter. The staff is very rude. Wasn't like the old staff. The front room looks like something out of the partridge family's house. I really wanted to love this place. (It's close to work for me and I loved the old place.) The small beers are annoying, roll aren't very good, and the portions are smaller. No idea why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel.

But if it's not leased the landlord collects $0. I don't get it.

I lived in an apartment in that building, rent was crazy cheap for downtown but pretty run down and he didn't do much of anything when something needed to be fixed. Wish he would just sell it.

No not fluck the carbonation and taste. And what's wrong with smelling it before you drink it? I usually take a deep whiff of my wings and steaks too, why? Not because I'm fussing over them, because they smell good! That's why and so does good beer. If all you want is an alcohol delivery device then your tall boys will do the trick, have at it. But just because I like the smell of my beer and the taste doesn't mean I fawn over it like some brand new mother with a day old baby. You don't want a glass, fine, I like my 2L boot and 1L Dimpled mug. Think craft beer drinkers need to grow a pair? Come do a boot with me and we'll see if you feel the same.

I'd also like to add that craft beer = what beer is everywhere else in the world. American Adjunct lagers are watered down and made with cheap ingredients. Kinda like Bar S hot dogs.
dude settle down. Its freaking beer not the presidency for crying out loud. So because you drink higher alcohol beer that makes you pound your chest? Ive drank more than you have spilled in my life trust me. If that your thing then have at it. Give me a watered down lager all day long.

And I love bar hot dogs.

dude settle down. Its freaking beer not the presidency for crying out loud. So because you drink higher alcohol beer that makes you pound your chest? Ive drank more than you have spilled in my life trust me. If that your thing then have at it. Give me a watered down lager all day long.

And I love bar hot dogs.

You wouldn't need to tell people to settle down if you didn't use phrases like 'grow a sack', just saying. For the record, I care more about what beer I'm drinking this fall than I do about this presidential race. I mean I can actually do something about the beer in my life. Living in CNY is like being in political no-man's land. The only thing that matters in this state is NYC and they are going to vote for Hillary whether I like it or not, might as well have some good beer to watch this crap-show go down. And Bar S hot dogs suck, they have chunks of bone in them.

Pyle said:
No not fluck the carbonation and taste. And what's wrong with smelling it before you drink it? I usually take a deep whiff of my wings and steaks too, why? Not because I'm fussing over them, because they smell good! That's why and so does good beer. If all you want is an alcohol delivery device then your tall boys will do the trick, have at it. But just because I like the smell of my beer and the taste doesn't mean I fawn over it like some brand new mother with a day old baby. You don't want a glass, fine, I like my 2L boot and 1L Dimpled mug. Think craft beer drinkers need to grow a pair? Come do a boot with me and we'll see if you feel the same. I'd also like to add that craft beer = what beer is everywhere else in the world. American Adjunct lagers are watered down and made with cheap ingredients. Kinda like Bar S hot dogs.
I love Marsh but he's out of his gourd on this

AZOrange said:
I love Marsh but he's out of his gourd on this

I just like to stir the pot. I do drink craft beers but i hate when people poo poo anyone who thinks its the only beer to druink

I love Clark's if for no other reason than housing a beef and cheddar with onions prior to drunkenly talking to girls through beer goggles probably saved me from numerous STDs. My friends wouldn't even stay near me after one.

I went there a lot over the winter. The staff is very rude. Wasn't like the old staff. The front room looks like something out of the partridge family's house. I really wanted to love this place. (It's close to work for me and I loved the old place.) The small beers are annoying, roll aren't very good, and the portions are smaller. No idea why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel.

This...I thought it was just me but the staff seemed miserable and rude.

i hate when people poo poo anyone who thinks its the only beer to druink

Says the guy who tells others to stop sniffing their beer and grow a sack? One more thing, it's 2:52pm and Bar S hot dogs still suck.

Marsh01 said:
I just like to stir the pot. I do drink craft beers but i hate when people poo poo anyone who thinks its the only beer to druink
no I know...if you spend any time on San Diego beaches you can't avoid craft beer!

I think it's a pretty good bar, still dig the no music/no TV thing (though a lot of people don't, and it's unpleasant to sit with friends who are impatient and whiny about the lack of music/TV). For my tastes, it's way more pleasant than the Biergarten and, while J. Ryan's is friendlier, more comfortable, and has a better selection, Clark's is a safer bet to converse with a group in a chill environment.

My gripes, aside from the ownership's odd comments and general behavior:

Staff isn't the most helpful or welcoming.
The sandwich, in my experience, is mediocre. I did not enjoy those dry hard rolls they switched to. If they're back to a decent onion roll from Harrison or someplace, it could be a whole different thing.
The space is too big. I don't see how anyone can generate enough revenue from this sort of concept to pay the rent on that many square feet. It's a beer bar with a limited menu and reasonable prices. I'm not in the business of finding solutions to those problems, but I think an owner would need some higher margin items (liquor) and a steadier stream of customers (full dinner service? live music? do they still have trivia?) to stay in business.

I have to say I have been to the Beer Garden probably a half dozen times since its opened and its always been a good experience. They have a real good draft offering including several German Wheats that are hard to find anywhere else and they have really expanded their bottle list. Not much in the way of food due to the building issues but he peanuts are a nice touch. I also love how the front of the building opens up in warm weather. For my money the best spot right now is Now and Later. Tons of choices an ever rotating 8+ draft beer menu and easy location for me. Only issue is that in the winter its not the biggest building but its clearly a winner.

You wouldn't need to tell people to settle down if you didn't use phrases like 'grow a sack', just saying. For the record, I care more about what beer I'm drinking this fall than I do about this presidential race. I mean I can actually do something about the beer in my life. Living in CNY is like being in political no-man's land. The only thing that matters in this state is NYC and they are going to vote for Hillary whether I like it or not, might as well have some good beer to watch this crap-show go down. And Bar S hot dogs suck, they have chunks of bone in them.
If you came to the internet expecting not to be insulted, offended, or called out (and notice he wasn't talking to you directly - it's his opinion) you probably came to the wrong place.

I have to say I have been to the Beer Garden probably a half dozen times since its opened and its always been a good experience. They have a real good draft offering including several German Wheats that are hard to find anywhere else and they have really expanded their bottle list. Not much in the way of food due to the building issues but he peanuts are a nice touch. I also love how the front of the building opens up in warm weather. For my money the best spot right now is Now and Later. Tons of choices an ever rotating 8+ draft beer menu and easy location for me. Only issue is that in the winter its not the biggest building but its clearly a winner.

I'm the only person I know who doesn't love that Wolff's, it's weird. I do agree that their selection is fantastic, we don't have a ton of German beer places around, so they do a nice job there. I ought to learn to like it.

Gotta check out Now and Later, I think it was DCCuse who was talking it up.

For my money the best spot right now is Now and Later. Tons of choices an ever rotating 8+ draft beer menu and easy location for me. Only issue is that in the winter its not the biggest building but its clearly a winner.

Have enjoyed Clark's for a long time in its previous location- but something always felt off about the new place (from the sandwich, lousy service, small glasses, etc). I just went to Now & Later for the first time last week with some friends- MUCH better than new Clark's. Great selection of beers, reasonably priced and a relaxed atmosphere. Check it out folks...and no I don't work there.

I'm the only person I know who doesn't love that Wolff's, it's weird. I do agree that their selection is fantastic, we don't have a ton of German beer places around, so they do a nice job there. I ought to learn to like it.

Gotta check out Now and Later, I think it was DCCuse who was talking it up.

Its worth it, they have been open since Christmas eve this past December and I have been there at least two dozen times if not more. Great selection very relaxing and no tvs though they do have a projection screen they use for SU games.

As for Wolffs try going there on an off time when its less crowded an the front is open in good weather. Totally different experience.

This...I thought it was just me but the staff seemed miserable and rude.
They treat you like we are inconveniencing them. im actually surprised it lasted this long. Bad service isn't a recipe for success. Honestly think if someone hung a few tvs in the seating side maybe toss in a band now and then, ditch most of the staff, get a good roll, and bring back the pints and the place would make it.