PS: NCAA allows Syracuse basketball to count 3 scholarships this year toward penalty | Syracusefan.com

PS: NCAA allows Syracuse basketball to count 3 scholarships this year toward penalty

The NCAA has notified Syracuse University officials that the men's basketball program can begin serving its scholarship penalties this year, according to a university official.

In addition, the NCAA informed Syracuse that because the men's basketball program is currently three under the NCAA's normal scholarship limit that the school can apply all three of those scholarships toward the penalty.

The NCAA had originally sanctioned Syracuse with the loss of three scholarships a year for a four-year period. That penalty was part of the NCAA's report on violations within the Syracuse basketball program. The report was released last March.

Syracuse officials appealed the NCAA's sanctions.

In October, while the appeal was pending, SU voluntarily forfeited three scholarships for the current 2015-16 season.

In December, the NCAA reduced the scholarship penalty, docking Syracuse just two scholarships a year for the next four years.

Syracuse also petitioned the NCAA's Committee on Infractions to count the three scholarships that Syracuse had given up for this year against the scholarship penalty.

The NCAA informed SU officials last week that the NCAA will apply these three scholarships to the eight scholarship penalty. As a result, Syracuse will lose only five scholarships after the current season.

Those five scholarships must be taken as two in the 2016-17 academic year, two in the 2017-18 academic year and one in the 2018-19 academic year.

Well this helps Mike Hopkins a lot. Now we only lose 5 scholarships over the next 3 years.

The NCAA can burn but atleast they used some common sense.

The NCAA taketh away, the NCAA giveth. The NCAA taketh away, the NCAA giveth. The way this is trending, and with Penn State as the model, maybe in four years they will give everything back and it will be as if nothing had ever happened.

Morons.

Great news for the long-term health of the program, but it doesn't mean squat for Christian White. He's really getting screwed.

Like I said in last post about this situation, BJ, RP and SU will be fine in the foreseeable future. But what pisses me off is that these jerks assisted in screwing with players that had nothing to do with what happened and consequently was put in a tough spot and forced SU's hand to react as they saw fit. Now they are trying to rewrite a wrong for SU after them and players big time. I'm glad that the incoming players won't be subjected to the BS moving forward. You don't take schollies from players, instead you suspend the coach, fine the school and or vacate wins, take banners or whatever but not punish players who had not a damn thing to do with it. BJ, Buss and Diagne to help with team and this is not a conversation. Un Effin Believeable!:mad:couchburn:bang:
image.jpeg

Thompso
But what pisses me off is that these jerks assisted in screwing with players that had nothing to do with what happened
And not only that, "what happened" was soooooo minor.

Like I said in last post about this situation, BJ, RP and SU will be fine in the foreseeable future. But what pisses me off is that these jerks assisted in screwing with players that had nothing to do with what happened and consequently was put in a tough spot and forced SU's hand to react as they saw fit. Now they are trying to rewrite a wrong for SU after them and players big time. I'm glad that the incoming players won't be subjected to the BS moving forward. You don't take schollies from players, instead you suspend the coach, fine the school and or vacate wins, take banners or whatever but not punish players who had not a damn thing to do with it. BJ, Buss and Diagne to help with team and this is not a conversation. Un Effin Believeable!:mad:couchburn:bang:View attachment 54736

*cough *transferbackplz *cough

We need to be very smart about our available scholarships for this coming season. As I understand it, we should have room for two more recruits (in addition to Battle and Moyer). We need to ink a big and a pure pg IMO, so let's get Tauren Thompson and a pg. Are we even trying to get a point guard? I don't think so and that's dire area of need.

We need to be very smart about our available scholarships for this coming season. As I understand it, we should have room for two more recruits (in addition to Battle and Moyer). We need to ink a big and a pure pg IMO, so let's get Tauren Thompson and a pg. Are we even trying to get a point guard? I don't think so and that's dire area of need.
We have 10 scholarship players right now.
We lose Gbinije and Cooney that leaves 8.
We have Moyer and Battle LOI signed so we are back to 10.
Thompson could be 11 but we don't have anymore room unless Obokoh or Joseph leave.

The NCAA giving us credit for the extra loss scholly this year is a nice break we deserved.

OttoinGrotto said:
Thompso And not only that, "what happened" was soooooo minor.
it's funny but bilas and the SI guy have boiled it down to 3 issues over a decade. A paper, some pot and a couple thousand bucks to a couple of players. Some of us pointed of the thinness of the report a year ago. Glad some in the media caught on.

This helps, and it's nice for Hop. But I'd rather that Skankey had taken a harder look at the academic cesspool in own conference before handing SU such disproportionate penalties in the first place.

Wheelhouse my ass.

We have 10 scholarship players right now.
We lose Gbinije and Cooney that leaves 8.
We have Moyer and Battle LOI signed so we are back to 10.
Thompson could be 11 but we don't have anymore room unless Obokoh or Joseph leave.

The NCAA giving us credit for the extra loss scholly this year is a nice break we deserved.

Yeah, what the heck was I thinking? I'm so fried from work. I still think we will have room for Thompson and a PG next year because it's likely someone else leaves. Unfortunately it looks like we are only really looking at Thompson. Is the staff really comfortable with our PG situation???? If so, that is a mistake.

Between Joseph, Okoboh, and one of the frosh leaving early for the NBA I have to think there we be an additional scholarship available to give out besides the one that we have ear marked for Thompson. Plus, if Thompson doesn't come here we could potentially have 2 to give out. I would hope Boeheim would explore the graduate transfers the way Louisville, Pitt and many other teams have taken advantage of. There is not much to lose given its off your books after a year and it promotes more competition within practice, let the best players play. Just some random thoughts...

Between Joseph, Okoboh, and one of the frosh leaving early for the NBA I have to think there we be an additional scholarship available to give out besides the one that we have ear marked for Thompson. Plus, if Thompson doesn't come here we could potentially have 2 to give out. I would hope Boeheim would explore the graduate transfers the way Louisville, Pitt and many other teams have taken advantage of. There is not much to lose given its off your books after a year and it promotes more competition within practice, let the best players play. Just some random thoughts...
See Alsacs post above ... we have 8 returning ships next year, plus 2 incoming players committed to financial aid arrangements. That means we have 11 ships available (13-2) next season, which provides room for Thompson or someone else.

It's unpredictable whether someone will leave. But as of right now we have one ship to give in addition to Moyer and Battle. So we'll see whether Thompson comes in.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but my impression is that the NCAA already knows it's going to go "light" on North Carolina, and is trying to make its furious attack against SU hoops look much tamer. Its intent is to make its own disfunctional organization appear legit. Not buying it.

I'm sorry, but my impression is that the NCAA already knows it's going to go "light" on North Carolina, and is trying to make its furious attack against SU hoops look much tamer. Its intent is to make its own disfunctional organization appear legit. Not buying it.
If they put SU in jail for speeding (but reduced the fine), I don't see how that gives UNC the right to a light sentence for grand larceny.

If they put SU in jail for speeding (but reduced the fine), I don't see how that gives UNC the right to a light sentence for grand larceny.
again... wheelhouse

again... wheelhouse
Wheelhouse is moot -- they've assumed jurisdiction and are prosecuting UNC for impermissible benefits. And God knows ... there were plenty handed out.

As to the "Wheelhouse" concept, it wouldn't last an hour in court. If it's improper for a school to give an athlete too much help with his homework, then how could it be proper to give him the entire course?

Last edited:
Like I said in last post about this situation, BJ, RP and SU will be fine in the foreseeable future. But what pisses me off is that these jerks assisted in screwing with players that had nothing to do with what happened and consequently was put in a tough spot and forced SU's hand to react as they saw fit. Now they are trying to rewrite a wrong for SU after them and players big time. I'm glad that the incoming players won't be subjected to the BS moving forward. You don't take schollies from players, instead you suspend the coach, fine the school and or vacate wins, take banners or whatever but not punish players who had not a damn thing to do with it. BJ, Buss and Diagne to help with team and this is not a conversation. Un Effin Believeable!:mad:couchburn:bang:View attachment 54736
Diagne has nothing to do with this. If he could have played this year, he would have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom