PS: Steven Clark is proof the new Syracuse football strength staff is yielding results | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Steven Clark is proof the new Syracuse football strength staff is yielding results

Good point. The nutrition program is WAY behind a lot of other P5 schools. Should see what Florida's got. Or Cincinnati for that matter.

Babers is all over that...

Bambrewer said:
Well I will say all the schools I visited with shy I asked about dorms and food. This is normal for the schools we went to. As a matter of fact bc just has a table for all the athletes of all sports in a sports center. No meals just quick stuff. I will say su has a better dorm program. Bc only lets you stay in dorms 3 years Miami was 2 years. I would guess sec programs have a better food program and get better results but that is only a guess. I do think it is crazy they just tell the kids eat zyx and the kids have to go get it on their own. They give them a weight goal but no real guide to it. Shy is hurt right now so I sent him a new diet for anti inflation and high protein. He has to find rides to the store to get the list though.

This is a tricky topic for a lot of reasons...

But I'd say some of the benefit of college in general is the life skill you acquire by needing to find out how to do this stuff yourself. There is real value in learning x because of y even though you don't have z.

But I agree with you completely on food and nutrition plans - it's so central to an athletes overall health and it's an area that we shouldn't be behind in. And it's tricky enough that assistance should be better than it is.

Well I will say all the schools I visited with shy I asked about dorms and food. This is normal for the schools we went to. As a matter of fact bc just has a table for all the athletes of all sports in a sports center. No meals just quick stuff. I will say su has a better dorm program. Bc only lets you stay in dorms 3 years Miami was 2 years. I would guess sec programs have a better food program and get better results but that is only a guess. I do think it is crazy they just tell the kids eat zyx and the kids have to go get it on their own. They give them a weight goal but no real guide to it. Shy is hurt right now so I sent him a new diet for anti inflation and high protein. He has to find rides to the store to get the list though.

Can absolutely tell you that SEC programs have superior nutritional programs. Florida has 10+ nutritionists on staff full time. That's nutritionists, not cooks. They monitor all sorts of stuff, blood work, testing, weight, etc. They develop meal plans and whatnot for each individual player. I'm sure Dino would love to do that, but it's expensive, and probably not a priority for SUAD at this time.

Can absolutely tell you that SEC programs have superior nutritional programs. Florida has 10+ nutritionists on staff full time. That's nutritionists, not cooks. They monitor all sorts of stuff, blood work, testing, weight, etc. They develop meal plans and whatnot for each individual player. I'm sure Dino would love to do that, but it's expensive, and probably not a priority for SUAD at this time.

Just goes to show even with the ACC money, fundraising is still crucial. But even considering that, there is still going to be a gap between schools with support like that and the rest.

Is there a Wegmans on/near the hill? If not see if he can find a ride to The Holy Land, aka the Dewitt Wegmans.

And I don't mean to pile it on, but even UB has their team in the dining hall breakfast/lunch/dinner with checklists/a nutritionist that won't allow a player to leave until they've satisfied their designated dietary needs.

Is there a Wegmans on/near the hill? If not see if he can find a ride to The Holy Land, aka the Dewitt Wegmans.
Not anywhere real close. There's some sort of local convenience store within walking distance. For anything else (e.g. Wegmans, Kroger) gotta have wheels to get there.

Not anywhere real close. There's some sort of local convenience store within walking distance. For anything else (e.g. Wegmans, Kroger) gotta have wheels to get there.
That sucks. Damn, no wonder we see twitter pics of the line eating at coaches houses on lucky days.

Bcubs - this is responsibility of the AD not the football HC. The AD is responsible for allocating resources and nutritionist positions would be a job that's important for all sports not just football. I'm surprised because I know former HCDM had 1 or 2 nutritionists on staff but obviously that stopped when former HCSS took over.

Wildhack needs to know this especially if you can provide benchmark comparison examples to other P5 schools you experienced first hand during the recruiting process. It's best coming from the coaching staff about the need to have nutritionists on staff but players parents can go a long way in support of the need.

By the way all they need to do is replace a few overhead positions at SUAD and it's paid for without increasing any costs...;)

Tops never mops is the closest grocery store right next to Drumlins. Formerly P&C and prior to that Peter's. It's probably a 10-15 minute walk from South.

Last edited:
That sucks. Damn, no wonder we see twitter pics of the line eating at coaches houses on lucky days.
The local convenience store is pretty good, from what Steven tells me, for most things. Not really meant to be a full-on grocery store, though. Best thing to have happen, short term, would be for the field house to be open for three squares a day throughout the year and, as Bam suggested, we could utilize the Sports Nutrition majors.

Bcubs - this is responsibility of the AD not the football HC. The AD is responsible for allocating resources and nutritionist positions would be a job that's important for all sports not just football. I'm surprised because I know former HCDM had 1 or 2 nutritionists on staff but obviously that stopped when former HCSS took over.

Wildhack needs to know this especially if you can provide benchmark comparison examples to other P5 schools you experienced first hand during the recruiting process. It's best coming from the coaching staff about the need to have nutritionists on staff but players parents can go a long way in support of the need.

By the way all they need to do is replace a few overhead positions at SUAD and it's paid for without increasing any costs...;)

Agreed. Mentioned that earlier. SUAD should be on the hook for this.

The DeWitt Wegman's is a hole compared to the one on Pittsford.

Ron-Burgundy-What-Did-You-Say-Anchorman.gif

I used to walk from South Campus to the Tops near Drumlins every few weeks, no need for a car.
It was a mile and a half from my apartment in Westcott. Probably half a mile from South Campus.

You guys weren't carrying as much food as a Defensive linemen or Linebacker after a two a days.

Topps never mops is the closest grocery store right next to Drumlins. Formerly P&C and prior to that Peter's. It's probably a 10-15 minute walk from South.

Yeah, and it's popular with athletes. In the late summer, it's common to see football players walking over there.

Add me to the list. Nutrition, staff dieticians, tailored meal planning and access are elementary to any serious athletics program. That these would be lacking at a D1 college football program is...well...unacceptable.
I don't know how we just built a new IPF and don't have some sort of athlete cafeteria connected to it.

I remember reading that Ohio St. has their athletes take vitamin D supplements because they know they don't get enough sun exposure in the north. Is that a detail we even consider?

During camp it's not so bad the tough time is from May till August... When they are supposed to be lifting and gaining weight. During the fall we are there all the time for games and take him shopping. During winter workouts and spring ball it's a little harder.

I'm a graduate and I don't even know whats healthy. I still count a buffalo tender dinner from Tullys as a great full nutritious meal.

Well...you're certainly getting your protein.

TOPS past south campus isn't too far. But yes, a car is definitely recommended..

I spent a few dollars at that liquor store right by the TOPS... oops.