Purdue writer: "Never been in louder venue in my life." | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Purdue writer: "Never been in louder venue in my life."

Double the people. Stadium shape. Many outdoor stadiums arent that loud.

Lot of NFL stadiums with 80,000 or more and indoors. Yet never got over 126Db? Vikings stadium is essentially the same material as our stadium.

and I thought it was much louder for UL for much longer periods of the game.. I think it also matters where you sit.. Surprised someone isnt doing some measureing studies , even getting some engineering dept to do it, dont they have any at SU? put some meters in 5-6 areas and see what is really happening in there. Shoot we have enough people here to do it. high/low endzone sidelines.. of course would they let us bring them in is a question..
outside the box innovation on the hill?

1663696179109.jpeg

Lot of NFL stadiums with 80,000 or more and indoors. Yet never got over 126Db? Vikings stadium is essentially the same material as our stadium.
I think the building itself is larger and allows the sound to dissipate more. It's not just the roof that makes the dome loud. It's that the crowd is on top of the field and the building is small compared to other indoor stadiums.

I saw a concert at Red Rocks last night and next to the Dome that's the loudest thing I've ever experienced.
I've been to games at the old Pitt stadium, at Clemson, at Auburn, at LSU, at Georgia, and in the Dome prior to its current configuration.

Clemson and Auburn and LSU and Georgia were loud. It's a different loud, though. It's deep, wide, weighty. The decibel level is not frightening. It sounds like 70K+ people screaming, outside.

The Dome's noise is frightening, even before the new roof was put on. It sounds like 40K people screaming right into your ears. The sound shakes your innards in a way that outdoor stadiums don't.

The loudest outdoor sound I have ever heard was in the Iron Bowl in Birmingham for the 1996 Olympics, sold out, USA vs Mexico, we scored a goal in the first minute off the opening face off. It was thunderous. And inferior to any Dome outburst I have experienced.

The loudest thing I have ever heard, and which I think probably damaged my hearing permanently, was a concert at the War Memorial in 1982, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I didn't have earplugs. Afterward, the sound of footfalls on the sidewalk outside sounded like high-frequency swishing strikes on a cymbal.

I've been to games at the old Pitt stadium, at Clemson, at Auburn, at LSU, at Georgia, and in the Dome prior to its current configuration.

Clemson and Auburn and LSU and Georgia were loud. It's a different loud, though. It's deep, wide, weighty. The decibel level is not frightening. It sounds like 70K+ people screaming, outside.

The Dome's noise is frightening, even before the new roof was put on. It sounds like 40K people screaming right into your ears. The sound shakes your innards in a way that outdoor stadiums don't.

The loudest outdoor sound I have ever heard was in the Iron Bowl in Birmingham for the 1996 Olympics, sold out, USA vs Mexico, we scored a goal in the first minute off the opening face off. It was thunderous. And inferior to any Dome outburst I have experienced.

The loudest thing I have ever heard, and which I think probably damaged my hearing permanently, was a concert at the War Memorial in 1982, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I didn't have earplugs. Afterward, the sound of footfalls on the sidewalk outside sounded like high-frequency swishing strikes on a cymbal.
Should have heard the Ramones at Uncle Sam’s !!!! Talk about ear damage ..

Only need to hear for about 10 more years anyway and then its just sitting in a chair staring out the window. who needs it
As the home health clinician that will have to shout himself hoarse when he has to provide your treatment, I'm asking, no I'm screaming, PLEASE WEAR HEARING PROTECTION!

Did a little wandering towards the end of the game. The end zones are the least as far as decibels on the 1st level. Section 109 had a high reading of 113.4 in the fourth. The o-zone was a bit less at 112.8. These readings were on the stairs in the middle of the sections during 3rd downs in the 4th.
During Wagner I’ll get some readings on 2 and 3

That was the first SU football game I ever saw. We sat right behind Don McPherson’s parents, although we didn’t know it until he came up in the stands to hug them.

Best football game ever in terms of importance and excitement. Bar none.
But Pat F’n Dye kicks a FG to tie.

I was sitting right at the goal line the side Owens ran it in about 7 rows up . My first season going to all the games. Fan for life ever since.

Did a little wandering towards the end of the game. The end zones are the least as far as decibels on the 1st level. Section 109 had a high reading of 113.4 in the fourth. The o-zone was a bit less at 112.8. These readings were on the stairs in the middle of the sections during 3rd downs in the 4th.
During Wagner I’ll get some readings on 2 and 3

Those readings won’t compare, because it’s Wagner.

Dome will be maybe half full, if that.

NCST should provide opportunities for the LOUD HOUSE to show out.

119.7 on kickoff return
NiCE. 15000? EMPTY seats...Still top 10.

I'll keep hoping for Gameday, a sell out, and a National game. We'll destroy that number.

The University needs to challenge fans to see how close we can get to the LOUDEST college venue. Inform the broadcast crew. Put it on the board. I want a national broadcaster to say that Cuse just recorded the X loudest EVER. I want Lee Corso and Herbstriet to talk about how STUPID loud the dome is. Cheapest recruiting boost ever. PLEASE don't miss a national opportunity to have free news stories about how we may be the BEST gameday atmosphere in the country.

We have something special. SHOW everyone!

Last edited:
This is the same list used by SI, and twenty4seven.

I wonder how they got those numbers. Did they actually send someone, were they reported by the schools, etc.

I wonder how they got those numbers. Did they actually send someone, were they reported by the schools, etc.
I presume Someone measured it, and it was reported. If its just for unoffocial bragging rights for the school? FINE by me. Its good for the school.

If we hit a good #? CHALLENGE Clemson(or whomever) to beat it. Make it a thing, like when Seattle and KC did. That's good for us. Make it about the FANS too. Make it an EVENT.

130 db is the Guiness record for an indoor venue. Guiness was there. IF thats a possibility? Do you think anyone in Cuse would like to be a part of that? Maybe they'd rather rake leaves? I doubt it... ;-)

Loudest I can remember the Dome, even louder than VTech 98 etc was Dan Conley's interception early in the game against #1 Miami in (?)'92. My brother and Dad were screaming at me and all I saw was their mouth moving. It was ear ringing hurt your ears loud.
The loudest I ever heard the Dome was the McPherson to Michael Owens 2-point conversion in the 1987 game against West Virginia to seal our undefeated regular season. Absolutely bonkers. That whole game was so loud. The Penn State blowout that year was also off the charts, especially the opening 80 year bomb from McPherson to Moore.

Last edited:
I presume Someone measured it, and it was reported. If its just for unoffocial bragging rights for the school? FINE by me. Its good for the school.

If we hit a good #? CHALLENGE Clemson(or whomever) to beat it. Make it a thing, like when Seattle and KC did. That's good for us. Make it about the FANS too. Make it an EVENT.

130 db is the Guiness record for an indoor venue. Guiness was there. IF thats a possibility? Do you think anyone in Cuse would like to be a part of that? Maybe they'd rather rake leaves? I doubt it... ;-)
I'm disappointed we're not on that list. We know we've been louder than some of those. We need to make it happen.

I agree. I think the hard roof reflects the sound back more than the fabric one did.

It's not only loud, it's harsh. After the Purdue game my wife commented that she felt like she just got out of a rock concert. I didnt focus on it during the game, but the sound was definitely a different experience.

Now that is the way it should be right there loudest place hes ever been with what 40000 people. That is bad a**

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom