Putting This in the Oak Cask (in the hope it ages well) | Syracusefan.com

Putting This in the Oak Cask (in the hope it ages well)

CA Monk

I'm Woke, But I'm Very Groggy.
OK. The rest of the season goes down like this:
  • Freshmen and RF continue their stellar learning curve
  • Bye week, we heal, enjoy the success/camaraderie of the GT victory and mature into a higher functioning team.
  • We play Duke then Liberty @home where the offense and defense continues to develop and improve
  • After Clemson we're 3-3 w/no significant injuries
  • Next up WF and BC @home (BC plays Clemson the prior week). Can you say winnable? 5-3. "Looking Good Billy Ray! Feeling good Louis!"
  • Fri Night @Louisville. As ABBA would say "Waterloo." 5-4.
  • Finish with NC St (home) and ND on the road. Who knows where we're at or what's at play in late November w/COVID, return of injured players on OL, maybe other team has injuries, we have some emerging stars etc. We win one of these on a Sterlin Gilbert-schemed double reverse flea flicker.
  • We make a bowl game. Suddenly there's a buzz. And it's not because I've visited a "dispensary."
  • We not only hang on to our '21 recruiting class, we augment it with several superb blue chippers (remember them).
  • We win our bowl game and CBS announces a reboot of Hogan's Heroes. What a way to end a dismal year. And there you have it: Boom, a full head of steam heading into 2021.

I was so down on this team 48 hours ago, but now that we've seen SOMETHING, my optimism is much higher. Here's what we have going for us:

1) A running back showed up, for at least a week
2) The D is fiesty, and has enough parts that it's best player can miss the game and not be missed

As for opponents, Duke isn't great, Liberty is the least talented team on our schedule, jury is still out on BC, Wake is Wake, Louisville may haven taken a step back this year, NC State may be awful.

We make look back at the schedule and realize that two of our four hardest games were the first two weeks of the season.

• Bye week, we heal, enjoy the success/camaraderie of the GT victory and mature into a higher functioning team.
  • We play Duke then Liberty @home where the offense and defense continues to develop and improve
  • Next up WF and BC @home (BC plays Clemson the prior week). Can you say winnable? 5-3. "Looking Good Billy Ray! Feeling good Louis!"
  • Finish with NC St (home) and ND on the road. Who knows where we're at or what's at play in late November w/COVID, return of injured players on OL, maybe other team has injuries, we have some emerging stars etc. We win one of these on a Sterlin Gilbert-schemed double reverse flea flicker.
  • We make a bowl game. Suddenly there's a buzz. And it's not because I've visited a "dispensary."
  • We not only hang on to our '21 recruiting class, we augment it with several superb blue chippers (remember them).
  • We win our bowl game and CBS announces a reboot of Hogan's Heroes. What a way to end a dismal year. And there you have it: Boom, a full head of steam heading into 2021.
I think the football part is totally possible - full disclosure, I don't think we are good but there are some teams in this league that are worse, and I think we have the higher ceiling.

Llvll isn’t unbeatable.

Clemson & ND probably are tho.

No reason we can’t win all of the home games - even if we’re not favored in some of them (O HAI GaTech!!)

Totally agree with this take - get healthy, beat Duke & Liberty biberty, survive Clemson intact, and go from there.

LFGO!!!!

This is a good take. The key of course is finding a good Col. Hogan.

I really want to be optimistic but the O is still a big issue. D is looking really good.
i really like tucker. Now maybe we can use jj for pitches or have him try to get to the corner instead of going up the middle.
OL looked improved. Time will tell if we get guys back from injury. When they return there will probably be some issues until they come together as a unit.
We continue to primarily use the same wide receivers. Gilbert is bringing bigger receivers but does not want to use the ones on the roster. Not sure why.
TD to me is still the biggest concern. Even with a running game and improved OL play the decision making was suspect. Throws a great deep ball but still does not look for second or third option when Taj is covered. Seems to throw to Taj in double coverage instead of taking an open receiver on a short or intermediate route when they are not his first option for the play. He also is still holding on to the ball to long.
I like everyone else is excited about the win but this team will only go as far as TD will take them because Dino will not make a change. Unfortunately not to confident he can but as a fan I hope he proves me wrong.

The only injured OL guy who matters at this point is Dakota Davis, who started last season. Others might be reserves if healthy — hard to juggle the starting OL in mid-season.

Receivers - Tommy needs to use the ones we have: Queeley, Hackett, Benson, in addition to Harris & N Johnson. Needs to get comfortable with those options. If any others were better, we would have seen them.

Defense — we are better, the scheme is better, but we are giving up a ton of first downs and running yardage, and need turn-overs to get enough stops. Can that continue?

Llvll isn’t unbeatable.

I agree.
At the risk of arousing the "transitive property" naysayers, in back-to-back weekends we put up very comparable offensive and defensive stats against Pitt.

SU offense: passing (13-24, 120 yds); 51 yds rushing (1 INT, 7 sacks)
SU defense: allowed Pitt 25-36, 215 yds., 127 yds rushing

Llville offense: passing 9-21, 107 yds, 116 yds rushing (3 INTs, 7 sacks)
Llville defense: allowed Pitt 23-38, 220 yds passing, 156 rushing

The only injured OL guy who matters at this point is Dakota Davis, who started last season. Others might be reserves if healthy — hard to juggle the starting OL in mid-season.

Receivers - Tommy needs to use the ones we have: Queeley, Hackett, Benson, in addition to Harris & N Johnson. Needs to get comfortable with those options. If any others were better, we would have seen them.

Defense — we are better, the scheme is better, but we are giving up a ton of first downs and running yardage, and need turn-overs to get enough stops. Can that continue?
They did last season, and there was noticeable improvement.

They did last season, and there was noticeable improvement.
Yes, but starting R-OT was awful, quit the team when Bergeron was promoted. Vettorello and Servais simply swapped roles when Vettorello got comfortable snapping. Juggling the OL in general is a bad move unless it is a starter returning or out of desperation.

I was so down on this team 48 hours ago, but now that we've seen SOMETHING, my optimism is much higher. Here's what we have going for us:

1) A running back showed up, for at least a week
2) The D is fiesty, and has enough parts that it's best player can miss the game and not be missed

As for opponents, Duke isn't great, Liberty is the least talented team on our schedule, jury is still out on BC, Wake is Wake, Louisville may haven taken a step back this year, NC State may be awful.

We make look back at the schedule and realize that two of our four hardest games were the first two weeks of the season.
Looks like you’re feeling “Rosie” about the future. I haven’t felt Rosie In years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom