Puzzled by Kaleb's low minutes | Syracusefan.com

Puzzled by Kaleb's low minutes

2 big 3's, played error free,deflected a few passes on D yet played less than 15 minutes. Oh well.
The fact is that JB has lost confidence in KJ. Not saying he is right. But that is the truth

Awesome kid has bled orange from day one. I truly believe he was picked to be one of our top 3 options when we recruited him hes just settling in.

Hope to see alittle Russ Smith in him over time, maybe even this year. Hes one of those guys who deserves the greenlight to be more aggressive and shoot more then he has been despite his numbers last year because he WANTS it.

I think best approach to him and Cooney this year could be to consider them new transfers and throw out the past years. Just let them do what they want. Hes getting closer and closer to getting that freedom every game this year.

Last edited:
Howard's not going to play much this year. This is going to be a 7.5 man rotation and Lydon is going to end up play more than DC by the end of the year IMO. KJ at 15-20 mpg can be productive. We've seen it previously with scoop and Dion off the bench.

JB said Kaleb's "improved more than any player I've ever seen." (That's not a direct quote.) I agree that he was perhaps trying to keep his other starters in so they wouldn't lose confidence. Except Roberson. He didn't seem to care about his confidence. It will be interesting to see what happens. Kaleb got big applause when he was in and when he came out tonight.

Gbijije and Malachi on the wings together will be a rare site for rebounds.
That means Cooney and Gbinije are in the backcourt together.

2nd half we needed to win Gbinije Cooney and Malachi were going to be on the court.

I know its unusual to push away from your seniors more but I kind of like the idea of going two units at the guard spot especially early on. We know how rough our schedule is.

When you go three guards more and give one of them 34 plus minutes you got to split 46 between the other two And that sounds about right Cooney got 32. There wasn't much thought process in it, and Frank is fighting for minutes also.

Last edited:
Howard's not going to play much this year. This is going to be a 7.5 man rotation and Lydon is going to end up play more than DC by the end of the year IMO. KJ at 15-20 mpg can be productive. We've seen it previously with scoop and Dion off the bench.

I don't think so on Lydon. He is not going to be able to hang physically at the center spot in conference. DC will need to play a lot of minutes and so will Chino. I was encouraged by Chino tonight though.

The fact is that JB has lost confidence in KJ. Not saying he is right. But that is the truth
Maybe so, but My take is that coach wants Cooney to get the rust off. Didn't look very good.

2 big 3's, played error free,deflected a few passes on D yet played less than 15 minutes. Oh well.

Kaleb looked really comfortable playing off the ball in the exhibitions, as others pointed out. Hoping he and Howard can get some minutes at the 2 to spell Cooney. Howard needs more floor time too. JB has a man crush on TC so this is just not going to happen too often.

Last edited:
I'd like to see 20 min. each for Joseph and Cooney. Nah. Joseph 20, Cooney 15 and Howard 5. Out with the old and in with the new.

Last edited:
Kaleb looked really comfortably playing off the ball in the exhibitions, as others pointed out. Hoping he and Howard can get some minutes at the 2 to spell Cooney. Howard needs more floor time too. JB has a man crush on TC so this is just not going to happen too often.

I was hoping his Cooney love was just due to a lack of options. But I am worried. He tries hard, but he's average.

It would be nice if when MR needs a blow(or is in foul trouble) if G could slide down and take his spot, in effect giving JB a 3rd guy he could bring KJ in for. He has all of those wins, so I'm hoping he can feel out the parts he has and work some alchemy of some sort. JB's time is short, so I think he will go with whatever works instead of being stubborn, at least on offense.

I was hoping his Cooney love was just due to a lack of options. But I am worried. He tries hard, but he's average.
Yep. My take exactly. Saying this for 3+ years. Tries hard, but average.

We had this discussion about JB is he immune as a coach. In fairness neither should players minutes be.

The hardest thing to swallow today was Gbinije and Cooney getting open looks we are not talking about forced threes heck none of them were off the bounce I would expect them to be the guys who want to hit them off the bounce and drill 40% of open looks every game as 5th year seniors.

In cooneys defense he is not doing his million shot practice routine this year alot of us are missing that. I think he started off the last two seasons poorly from three I don't get it, its strictly puzzling but he did. Then the million shot routine wore his legs down late in the season like no other cuse player ever.

Agree though Sometimes I consider him like so/Jr Triche on the offensive end. and SG's and Sf's are very key pieces to a scoring team, its tough to run a team with them being average scorers, you can but its not easy. As for a team that leads more offensively nearly impossible you would rarely see that at a school like Providence for example.

By all intense purposes it appears we are pushing Malachi to make up for those days that Cooney is more of a 3rd option when maybe Joseph should be up there to. I prefer Gbinije off the ball period unless he starts dribbling into his three point shot. I no longer consider him playing point out of necessity but more that he needs to earn it. I don't get why he isn't just taking over this team. We have seen him do it putting up 27 against Duke last year, and it isn't a matter of him not getting looks because he can create them.

They are seniors I have learned from the upper board members its hold on to your hat as seniors have first call it takes alot for someone to take it from them. imo you need to be not 5-10 percent better but 15-20 (and I don't mean shooting percentages).

Last edited:
It would be nice if when MR needs a blow(or is in foul trouble) if G could slide down and take his spot, in effect giving JB a 3rd guy he could bring KJ in for. He has all of those wins, so I'm hoping he can feel out the parts he has and work some alchemy of some sort. JB's time is short, so I think he will go with whatever works instead of being stubborn, at least on offense.
Not sure why you say "It would be nice..." Of course G going to slide down to the 3 for Malachi. I think KJ can come in for almost anyone depending who else is on the floor.

Not sure why you say "It would be nice..." Of course G going to slide down to the 3 for Malachi. I think KJ can come in for almost anyone depending who else is on the floor.

I say it because people in here have made it sound like it is going to be very difficult for KJ to see time, and I'm going to wait til Boeheim proves otherwise before I suggest they are wrong(I'm trying harder to avoid arguments nowadays). So I'm saying I tentatively agree with you, and am hoping that's how it will play out. I guess Ive just experienced too many frustrations to claim I "know" for certain what is going to happen. Heaven forbid someone is injured, and then these conversations can immediately have their merit altered greatly.

More Joseph, less Cooney. Those bodies don't have any room for improvement. He's been the same player for 3 years.

Cooney shoots well in the paint now. He needs to remember some easy two pointers add up better than a dozen threes that he only made two or three of. And the other team isn't likely to expect him to come inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom