Puzzled by Kaleb's low minutes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Puzzled by Kaleb's low minutes

That's not a fact, at all.

KJ has TWO, 5th year seniors in front of him.
THAT is why he's not getting more minutes.

JB has done nothing but praise Kaleb's improvement, so unless he's just BSing everybody in every press conference, then there's no indication at all of any lack of confidence in him.
those two sr guards weren't at Syracuse last year when he started?

those two sr guards weren't at Syracuse last year when he started?

Silent G wasn't a guard, until the end of the season.
JB obviously thought having Kaleb as a true PG was worth starting him. And he was mistaken.

This year, he prefers to have him come in off the bench. Which is fine.
Dion had himself a nice little career doing that. Scoop was awesome off the bench his Soph year.

JB doesn't really give a rats ass who starts. It's who plays, and who finishes that matters.
Guess who was in the game at the very end, when Lehigh kept cutting the lead down to single digits?

(spoiler alert - it was the player that you claim he has "lost confidence in")

Silent G wasn't a guard, until the end of the season.
JB obviously thought having Kaleb as a true PG was worth starting him. And he was mistaken.

This year, he prefers to have him come in off the bench. Which is fine.
Dion had himself a nice little career doing that. Scoop was awesome off the bench his Soph year.

JB doesn't really give a rats ass who starts. It's who plays, and who finishes that matters.
Guess who was in the game at the very end, when Lehigh kept cutting the lead down to single digits?

(spoiler alert - it was the player that you claim he has "lost confidence in")
This isn't me saying that jb has lost confidence in the kid. I couldn't care less. You haven't been around here long. My sources are solid gold. Spoiler alert...it's the guy who I said has lost confidence in the kid. As for me, I hope KJ scores 1000 pts here.

The fact??!! I'm glad you know with great certainty JB's thinking.
JB has been nothing but positive in his remarks about KJ this Fall. I think he knows what KJ can give him but wants to know more about what his freshman can do.
He also didn't sound like he'd given up on KJ in the presser. Said he deserved and would get more minutes. Just said were really small with him.

He also didn't sound like he'd given up on KJ in the presser. Said he deserved and would get more minutes. Just said were really small with him.
As I think you know, I wouldn't just say something like this. As I have also said, I have nothing against KJ. I hope he does great. But when I say that jb has lost confidence in him (and this was during the summer) I'm not making it up.

As I think you know, I wouldn't just say something like this. As I have also said, I have nothing against KJ. I hope he does great. But when I say that jb has lost confidence in him (and this was during the summer) I'm not making it up.
No I know that. I was just commenting that his presser noted more min to come.

This isn't me saying that jb has lost confidence in the kid. I couldn't care less. You haven't been around here long. My sources are solid gold. Spoiler alert...it's the guy who I said has lost confidence in the kid. As for me, I hope KJ scores 1000 pts here.

2889634.jpg

More Joseph, less Cooney. Those bodies don't have any room for improvement. He's been the same player for 3 years.

In defense of TC he had a very slow start last year also.

I can understand losing faith in someone who shoots 20% from three and 35% from the field and isn't a true pg and undersized defender as well, to they show some improvement.

Kaleb looks the part though hes every bit a incredibly hard worker. I truly believe none of our players work work harder then him this year or last.

I believe JB's quote on Kaleb was its hard to have confidence when you lack strength.

Last edited:
2 big 3's, played error free,deflected a few passes on D yet played less than 15 minutes. Oh well.

Maybe he did not play because of how well he played. Maybe JB knew what he has with KJ and just wanted to see the other players more. He did play lots of weird line-ups all through the game. If KJ plays well on both ends I just can't imagine him not getting lots of PT. JB doesn't play favorites. He seems to consistently play the best players no matter what.

It's the first game o fthe season, JB will figure out his rotation as the season goes on. Anyone curious what Hop will do in those first 9 ACC games?

Well, whatever happens, I sure hope the neck brace comes off before he takes the reigns. Not to sound unsympathetic but that thing is pretty noticeable!

In defense of TC he had a very slow start last year also.

He didn't have a slow start, he had a slow season. 37 mpg and averaged 12 ppg and shot 30% from 3. I get it, we didn't have any better options. But it's not like he ever really got it going last year on a consistent basis. 2 years ago he at least had a really good start and won us the ND game.

He didn't have a slow start, he had a slow season. 37 mpg and averaged 12 ppg and shot 30% from 3. I get it, we didn't have any better options. But it's not like he ever really got it going last year on a consistent basis. 2 years ago he at least had a really good start and won us the ND game.

That is the norm for a average scoring SG and Cooney scored 13.4 per 37 minutes.
Look at Brandon Triches sophmore season 11.1 ppg per 29 minutes. Jr. Scoop outscored him as our point. Then he scored 13.6 as a senior. He went through the same tough struggles realizing his outside shot was never going to round out all that well.

Not every SG is going to be NBA.

TC plays really good defense. I'm not a a big fan of this 3-point shot form. It just seems to me his 3-point shot takes way too much effort on his part. Some of his performance and numbers are hard to defend. But my hope is he has 2 or 3 ND type games for us this year. But if we have any chance of making the NCAA tournament this year TC will be a key part of our teams efforts. Orange!

That is the norm for a average scoring SG and Cooney scored 13.4 per 37 minutes.
Look at Brandon Triches sophmore season 11.1 ppg per 29 minutes. Jr. Scoop outscored him as our point. Then he scored 13.6 as a senior. He went through the same tough struggles realizing his outside shot was never going to round out all that well.

Average is the key word.(30 % from 3 is pretty terrible for a designated 3 point gunner with a green light too)

Our 37 minute per game type guys are usually way better than average.

Triche was above average...and Triche also wasn't a 37 minute per game guy. He would've been if he were on last years team though.

I'm hoping we're better this year, and don't have to rely on the guy as much. I think he'll be more effective per minute with better players around him and a smaller role.

Just playing D1 CBB is quite feat! NBA is practically impossible. And even the players who do get drafted so few are actually successful players.

Average is the key word.(30 % from 3 is pretty terrible for a designated 3 point gunner with a green light too)

Our 37 minute per game type guys are usually way better than average.

Triche was above average...and Triche also wasn't a 37 minute per game guy. He would've been if he were on last years team though.

I'm hoping we're better this year, and don't have to rely on the guy as much. I think he'll be more effective per minute with better players around him and a smaller role.

Curious to see how Joseph and Howard compare to his defense uptop. If one of them are close I think that is a possibility.

How did you manage exactly 3,522 message and exactly 3,522 likes that is very average :p
Not that I should talk I am shooting alot worse.

Only small if he is the lineup with Cooney. He should be coming in for cooney.

Only small if he is the lineup with Cooney. He should be coming in for cooney.
Right on. I agree with the Joseph/ Cooney/howard rotation. 20/15/5. Unless one is hot.

all indications are that both Howard and (to a lesser extent) KJ are going to have to be patient until next year for their real chance - JB's history and words in the Lehigh postgame presser tell us his senior guards will play 35+ each :noidea::noidea:
I think he'd *like* to give Kaleb more minutes but the old dog just ain't gonna sacrifice the minutes of G/TC/Mal to do so...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom