Puzzled by Kaleb's low minutes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Puzzled by Kaleb's low minutes

The fact is that JB has lost confidence in KJ. Not saying he is right. But that is the truth
you are probably right. however, i gave him a pass for last year, as he was asked to do to much,that he was not prepared for. he played like a deer in the head lights. from what i have read, this year he has stepped up his game, and matured. i dunno, but if he keeps it up he will get more minutes.

It's the first game o fthe season, JB will figure out his rotation as the season goes on. Anyone curious what Hop will do in those first 9 ACC games? Will he stick to what JB wants or maybe he benches Cooney a little bit more?

The more minutes Cooney plays, the worse team we will be this year. He needs to cap out at 30 mins MAX. Sadly, i doubt the will ever once be below that number. Has there ever been an SU player who has improved less from soph to senior year? I cant think of any really.

KJ needs to play. We are at our best with KJ, G, Mali, Lydon and Roberson. Yes, that will be a poor rebounding team... but it also means oppisng bigs will have to come out to the 3 point line to defend Lydon.

This might be a great lesson in psychology. Cooney didn't play great, but either did Mike. He had the same amount of turnovers and actually shot worse from three.

It's interesting because you can make an argument kaleb could of played played over either of them at points yesterday but he didn't. So we see the same posts every year.

I think kalebs biggest issue is on defense. His O looks good and he's a bit indecisive as a PG at times, but overall that part of his game is much better. I read something the other day that Cooneys advanced defensive metrics are as good as anyone we have had at the guard spot in the zone, so that keeps him on the court. If he hit one more three last night I doubt many of you are complaining. I actually thought our best lineup was Kaleb, Cooney, G, Mal, and Lydon last night. That is when we made our biggest run. Offensively any of them can get to the basket, but I realize a few teams will kill us inside.

Really don't understand the overall negative tone. Maybe we are just used to it because of football, but I think skill wise this team is definitely an improvement over last year.

The fact is that JB has lost confidence in KJ. Not saying he is right. But that is the truth

If indeed true, it's somewhat interesting considering when JB inserted KJ in last night's game. The lead had been cut from 20 to 6, KJ came in and immediately buried a huge three from the top of the key to stop the run (bleeding) and push it back to 9. It was certainly a critical point in the game. After the ensuing TV TO, I believe Cooney drained a 3 to push it to 12 (KJ still was on the floor) stabilizing things. It wasn't until that stabilization that KJ exited stage left.

KJ should 25 mins. Cooney 10 and Frank 5. Cooney has been here 5 years and isnt getting any better. He is what he is. A shooter who can't shoot. Any time he drives, something bad happens. KJ has room to improve and is already better than Cooney

Cooney's real culprit isn't his shot, it's his handles. It's improved a little since his fr year but it's still one of the most awkward and clumsy handles for a guard in cbb. He could never put the ball on the floor comfortably and consistently to create space and find rhythm for himself, every drive to the basket is rushed because of his poor handles. Fortunately we have more ball handlers and shooters now so there will be more breathing room for him to catch n shoot but I'm not really expecting a huge improvement from previous seasons.

JB said clearly in the PP that it's a size issue. too small with kj,tc and m(g)b.

If indeed true, it's somewhat interesting considering when JB inserted KJ in last night's game. The lead had been cut from 20 to 6, KJ came in and immediately buried a huge three from the top of the key to stop the run (bleeding) and push it back to 9. It was certainly a critical point in the game. After the ensuing TV TO, I believe Cooney drained a 3 to push it to 12 (KJ still was on the floor) stabilizing things. It wasn't until that stabilization that KJ exited stage left.
Yes, Kaleb played well and Coach praised him during press conference, and mumbled something about trying to get him more minutes.

And we all know how stubborn JB is. Once he sours on you, that's it. Meanwhile, KJ looked steadier than every other guard last night.

I don't want to come off as knocking Cooney based on my comments above. He's a pretty good defender in the zone with experience, plays hard, and can get very hot from 3 but the other parts of his game range from weak to average. To me that's a guy who gets 20-25 minutes, unless he's lighting it up from 3. If that's the situation we're in where he's still a 37 minutes a game guy, then we're not going to be that good.

Joseph took his lumps last year, but he was more productive than Cooney was as a freshman, though obviously Cooney was on a better team. I'm hoping for a breakout sophomore year from him. He looked pretty good last night. One of the few developments on the offensive side that I was happy with. To me he potentially bring some skills to the table that Cooney doesn't like the ability to get into the lane and make shots, which brings more balance to the offense. The whole 1-2 dribbles and kick out until somebody launches offense is way too one dimensional.

That's not a fact, at all.

KJ has TWO, 5th year seniors in front of him.
THAT is why he's not getting more minutes.

JB has done nothing but praise Kaleb's improvement, so unless he's just BSing everybody in every press conference, then there's no indication at all of any lack of confidence in him.

i found this quote in an article by david borges new haven register regarding uconn's talented guard jalen adams...

"And next fall, Adams will move on again, this time to UConn. It’s the place he’s wanted to be for several years now, according to Vin Pastore, who coached Adams on the Mass Rivals AAU team that past three summe

“When you ask kids, ‘Where do you see yourself?’ — I asked Kaleb Joseph, and he said, ‘Syracuse,’” Pastore said, referring to the Mass Rivals product who’s now a freshman with the Orange. “When I asked Jalen where he saw himself playing, he said, ‘UConn.’ And that was before he was good enough to play at those type of places.” "

i found this quote in an article by david borges new haven register regarding uconn's talented guard jalen adams...

"And next fall, Adams will move on again, this time to UConn. It’s the place he’s wanted to be for several years now, according to Vin Pastore, who coached Adams on the Mass Rivals AAU team that past three summe

“When you ask kids, ‘Where do you see yourself?’ — I asked Kaleb Joseph, and he said, ‘Syracuse,’” Pastore said, referring to the Mass Rivals product who’s now a freshman with the Orange. “When I asked Jalen where he saw himself playing, he said, ‘UConn.’ And that was before he was good enough to play at those type of places.” "
so??

Howard's not going to play much this year. This is going to be a 7.5 man rotation and Lydon is going to end up play more than DC by the end of the year IMO. KJ at 15-20 mpg can be productive. We've seen it previously with scoop and Dion off the bench.
es
and how many titles did that garner. we've won once in 40 years using the old goat's method. play who earns it; not who u think is better.

This might be a great lesson in psychology. Cooney didn't play great, but either did Mike. He had the same amount of turnovers and actually shot worse from three.

It's interesting because you can make an argument kaleb could of played played over either of them at points yesterday but he didn't. So we see the same posts every year.

I think kalebs biggest issue is on defense. His O looks good and he's a bit indecisive as a PG at times, but overall that part of his game is much better. I read something the other day that Cooneys advanced defensive metrics are as good as anyone we have had at the guard spot in the zone, so that keeps him on the court. If he hit one more three last night I doubt many of you are complaining. I actually thought our best lineup was Kaleb, Cooney, G, Mal, and Lydon last night. That is when we made our biggest run. Offensively any of them can get to the basket, but I realize a few teams will kill us inside.

Really don't understand the overall negative tone. Maybe we are just used to it because of football, but I think skill wise this team is definitely an improvement over last year.

I think G's versatility will be why the arguments drifts more toward Joseph over TC, than Joseph taking away minutes from G. When he replaces G, we still have Cooney out there, and with Cooney, as others have said, you know what you get. G and Joseph make up a more dynamic backcourt - and if the "hot issue" at the moment is a lack of play inside the three point line - well, those two are probably better suited for getting into the lane a bit and creating opportunities for others. That being said, I haven't seen that much from Joseph through three games...so maybe it's irrelevant.

Cooney gives us that stability you see from a 5th year Senior, but not much in the realm of creativity or taking it to the rim. Now, maybe we do see that at some point this season, but I remain skeptical he's capable. I tend to agree that he overthinks things though (as someone mentioned previously). He's so geared up to take a foul that he's almost flailing around wildly before he ever has a chance to get a shot up when he drives. I've never seen a non-Euro player (probably an exaggeration) that recoils so quickly from even light contact. He took a slight bump on the perimeter at the three point line yesterday and ended up near half-court...lol. If it's working have at it, but I'm not sure it's a huge benefit for TC. Who knows.

All thins considered, I would keep running out Joseph/Cooney/Howard wildly and see how it shakes out. I wouldn't just alot the minutes to TC based on seniority. Although ultimately TC's defense may be the driving force to keep him out there. He doesn't seem to be taking wild shots, or playing out of control - so, no reason to shake things up too much. The defense issue (Joseph/Howard's aptitude) will become clearer in games to come I suppose.

Cooney -changes every year.
Sophmore -year he wasn't set well alot. And he jerked alot of shots slower release.
Jr year he fixed all those quite a bit and he began to pullup one on one off 4-5 dribbles more.

Sr year -hes getting more open looks. I think slowing his trigger down until he needs to could benefit the team early on especially.
Hes not doing his million shot routine in practice maybe once or twice a week would help. Him and Gbinje were shooting off the dribble last year none this year so far.
What was that post one user used to have on here. Carmelo Anthony "Why wouldn't I want the shot when I already know I made it". He showed that more the sophmore and Jr years his confidence is aching a bit early on.

This team has nobody to take the ball to the rim strong I think Roberson is the early canidate for that still he isn't exploding anywhere near the same speed he runs without the ball, and hes missing alot of 6 foot bunny attacking layups back rim. Gbinije doesn't get up enough when he drives to lay it in or it gets stripped while at pg, Cooney just doesn't get to the rim fast enough, Joseph doesn't get up enough or extend his hand enough over his head for a floater yet. No toughness around the rim.

Last edited:
I think G's versatility will be why the arguments drifts more toward Joseph over TC, than Joseph taking away minutes from G. When he replaces G, we still have Cooney out there, and with Cooney, as others have said, you know what you get. G and Joseph make up a more dynamic backcourt - and if the "hot issue" at the moment is a lack of play inside the three point line - well, those two are probably better suited for getting into the lane a bit and creating opportunities for others. That being said, I haven't seen that much from Joseph through three games...so maybe it's irrelevant.

Cooney gives us that stability you see from a 5th year Senior, but not much in the realm of creativity or taking it to the rim. Now, maybe we do see that at some point this season, but I remain skeptical he's capable. I tend to agree that he overthinks things though (as someone mentioned previously). He's so geared up to take a foul that he's almost flailing around wildly before he ever has a chance to get a shot up when he drives. I've never seen a non-Euro player (probably an exaggeration) that recoils so quickly from even light contact. He took a slight bump on the perimeter at the three point line yesterday and ended up near half-court...lol. If it's working have at it, but I'm not sure it's a huge benefit for TC. Who knows.

All thins considered, I would keep running out Joseph/Cooney/Howard wildly and see how it shakes out. I wouldn't just alot the minutes to TC based on seniority. Although ultimately TC's defense may be the driving force to keep him out there. He doesn't seem to be taking wild shots, or playing out of control - so, no reason to shake things up too much. The defense issue (Joseph/Howard's aptitude) will become clearer in games to come I suppose.
It's one game!!!!! We beat a solid team. The analysis of Trevor Cooney borderlines on a mental illness for some people on this board. My point was G played so/so too, but you don't hear anything about that! It's interesting to me how one player supposedly causes all of our problems.

It's one game!!!!! We beat a solid team. The analysis of Trevor Cooney borderlines on a mental illness for some people on this board. My point was G played so/so too, but you don't hear anything about that! It's interesting to me how one player supposedly causes all of our problems.

Right, because G isn't necessarily regarded as a one-dimensional player so there would be less discussion. It's about how to divide minutes...G's minutes are more set in stone in some people's minds because he offers far more with his all-around game than TC. Not that hard of a concept to grasp. The issue with TC has, and always will be, if he's not hitting shots, does he do enough to warrant the huge minutes? Simple discussion.

Anyway, settle down, I said a couple times it's all based off a few games in so it's hard to come to grandiose conclusions regarding Joseph/Cooney/Howard for the most part. Pretty much any analysis at this point is working off of too small of a sample set. It's speculation - no more, no less.

The fact??!! I'm glad you know with great certainty JB's thinking.
JB has been nothing but positive in his remarks about KJ this Fall. I think he knows what KJ can give him but wants to know more about what his freshman can do.

Right, because G isn't necessarily regarded as a one-dimensional player so there would be less discussion. It's about how to divide minutes...G's minutes are more set in stone in some people's minds because he offers far more with his all-around game than TC. Not that hard of a concept to grasp. The issue with TC has, and always will be, if he's not hitting shots, does he do enough to warrant the huge minutes? Simple discussion.

Anyway, settle down, I said a couple times it's all based off a few games in so it's hard to come to grandiose conclusions regarding Joseph/Cooney/Howard for the most part. Pretty much any analysis at this point is working off of too small of a sample set. It's speculation - no more, no less.

I'm calm and happy. We won yesterday. I want all the players to do well this year. That's all that matters to me. It still doesn't change my opinion what I think. I want both G and Cooney to both play better than they did yesterday, and I want Mal to value the ball more than he did yesterday.

I'm calm and happy. We won yesterday. I want all the players to do well this year. That's all that matters to me. It still doesn't change my opinion what I think. I want both G and Cooney to both play better than they did yesterday, and I want Mal to value the ball more than he did yesterday.

Fair enough. I want TC to shoot 45% from three, and for all I know, he will. All the better for us! Not sure he's capable, but we shall see.

1 game into the year the analysis will be all over the place, and a lot will be based off of last year. I don't think anyone is trying to be harsh, or cut down anyone on the team, just speculating on what will work best for the team.

Last edited:
The fact??!! I'm glad you know with great certainty JB's thinking.
JB has been nothing but positive in his remarks about KJ this Fall. I think he knows what KJ can give him but wants to know more about what his freshman can do.
Well, fact is he lost his starting spot. Fact is, he didn't play all that much. And the fact is, this isn't my opinion. it's JB's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom