Q- | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Q-

He's by far my favorite player on this team. That doesn't mean I don't scream at him through my TV a few times a game, but that's just because I care.

This season would actually have been a bust had he not stepped up.
I saw a lot of videos of him in high school and wondered how his "fun for the game" would translate. His game is an extension of his personality. I like that Red is allowing him to run with that.

I hope there are teachable moments in film study about the times to have fun and the times to lock it up. Magic Johnson had to learn those lessons. He didn't let it take his joy from how he played the game but augmented his play to be the best winner he could be. His absolute obsession with winning overrode anything that could be considered "hot dogging" on the court.

I hope that Q has the same mentality because he has a panache that is rare in college sports these days. Couple that with a killer instinct, and the sky is the limit.

JJ never expected the pass because it was obviously time to milk clock
I remember in Magic Johnson's autobiography, he mentioned a conversation with Jud Heathcote at Michigan State. Heathcote told him it's not a good pass if:

A) Your teammate physically can't catch it.
B) Your teammate isn't ready for it.

Heathcote told him that point A was on him as the point guard. Point B is on his teammates. So, through a lot of time and practice, he learned the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates when it came to catching the basketball, and they learned to always be ready for a pass from him anywhere on the court.

JJ wasn't ready and for good reason. Not the type of play needed at that point in the ballgame. With that said, there should never be a moment a player isn't ready for a pass from someone like Q.

I'm a little hesitant to have Q scale back the flair too much. Part of what makes him effective is that he's unpredictable. He throws some passes from weird angles and things that sometimes aren't there conventionally.

It’s pretty apparent to me over the last 10 games or so that Copeland is the heart and soul of this team. I think we’re going to get two years of him really stepping into the team leader role. Add a couple of pieces and maintain some semblance of continuity and we’re in business…
He absolutely is...I did notice that before the tip, Q not even a starter, was the one calling a team huddle before tipoff.

I'm a little hesitant to have Q scale back the flair too much. Part of what makes him effective is that he's unpredictable. He throws some passes from weird angles and things that sometimes aren't there conventionally.

I agree. He's got some kind of magic formula going that I'd be hesitant to mess with.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other Syracuse basketball player who was so clearly the fan favorite and the favorite among all his teammates.

Something really special could happen with him.

Copeland 100% wants to win at everything. He's hyper competitive. He was jawing at Catoor all game long, but he's the first to shake hands at the end of the game and as noted elsewhere helped a VT guy up after the both took a spill to run back to the other halfcourt.

Copeland 100% wants to win at everything. He's hyper competitive. He was jawing at Catoor all game long, but he's the first to shake hands at the end of the game and as noted elsewhere helped a VT guy up after the both took a spill to run back to the other halfcourt.

He just has that Magic Johnson like aura about him. And no I’m not saying he’s in the ballpark of being an NBA Hofr when who knows if he ever sniffs an NBA roster but that said this kid has multiple it factors.

Yup, he's a great kid with a big heart but he's got that dog in him and wants to win. Red needs to find a way to keep him here for 4 years.

He’s a show all by himself. He’s really entertaining, His vision is excellent and he’s very unselfish and enjoys assists as much as baskets.

A couple of interesting things from him tonight. I’m not sure if they showed it but helped a Va Tech player up from the floor during live action behind the play in the first half.

He was also the guy to try to pump up Bell after Red ripped him.

I thought his ability to split double teams with the dribble a couple of times tonight shows how good he can be. That’s a tough move and he made it look easy.

I truly expect him to get a triple-double at some point in his career, I just hope TOs aren’t one of the categories.
Yep, I love me some Copeland. I want him on the court for as many minutes is possible. He's a difference maker in so many ways. That said, I counted at least 4 layups (and there might have been more) that he missed because he made them very difficult. He may be forcing it at times. Still, love his play!

He's gonna blow the roof off our place over the next 2 ( I hope) years with his flair. Even though some here don't believe in him...he will be our PG.
Not convinced. Q might be better in his current role - a forward/supplemental guard, able to create and free lance. The combination we have now with Mintz, JJ and Q is very effective.

I believe in him, absolutely, but what is his better role? Depends, of course, on who else we have.

Didn’t even think it was close to his best game. Didn’t finish around the hoop like he has been. We won’t miss a beat with him as the starting pg next season. (As long as westry is as good as advertised, filling the void that will be left by Mintz)

Not convinced. Q might be better in his current role - a forward/supplemental guard, able to create and free lance. The combination we have now with Mintz, JJ and Q is very effective.

I believe in him, absolutely, but what is his better role? Depends, of course, on who else we have.
Next Year? Point guard.

I love this kid. I am mystified by posters on here who clamor for us to find a “real” point guard in the portal and dismiss the idea of Q being the starter next year. This kid is a star. So what he’s “too flashy” at times. Q has great vision and the potential next season to be one of the best passing PGs we’ve had in years (even better than Kadary imo). MCW level. Hands down he’s our starting PG next season. And Chance, who’s a really good passer in his own right and was reportedly playing at a high level in practice last fall, will be right behind him. We don’t need to go to the portal to find our PG. We have next year’s starter playing a key role on the team now. Q is growing by leaps and bounds and will be even better next season as a Junior. Plus you can tell he’s a real team leader, the heart and soul of the team, as Malcolm Huckabie said the other night.

It’s pretty apparent to me over the last 10 games or so that Copeland is the heart and soul of this team. I think we’re going to get two years of him really stepping into the team leader role. Add a couple of pieces and maintain some semblance of continuity and we’re in business…
Serious man love and respect for Q. he is getting better, by the time he leaves he will be a very exciting pro. He is an entertainer, worth going t games just to see him play. If he develops a jump shot, watch out!

JJ was asleep at the wheel all night. Dude was cutting and wide open why would you not expect a pass? Great play, terrible anticipation from JJ
When you do it all night while the other guy has the ball and never get a look, you get kind of conditioned that the pass isn’t coming.

I love this kid. I am mystified by posters on here who clamor for us to find a “real” point guard in the portal and dismiss the idea of Q being the starter next year. This kid is a star. So what he’s “too flashy” at times. Q has great vision and the potential next season to be one of the best passing PGs we’ve had in years (even better than Kadary imo). MCW level. Hands down he’s our starting PG next season. And Chance, who’s a really good passer in his own right and was reportedly playing at a high level in practice last fall, will be right behind him. We don’t need to go to the portal to find our PG. We have next year’s starter playing a key role on the team now. Q is growing by leaps and bounds and will be even better next season as a Junior. Plus you can tell he’s a real team leader, the heart and soul of the team, as Malcolm Huckabie said the other night.

I think he needs to tighten up his dribble just a bit and become a bit more of an outside threat in order to run PG full time, but I do think he has the skill/potential for it.

I think he needs to tighten up his dribble just a bit and become a bit more of an outside threat in order to run PG full time, but I do think he has the skill/potential for it.

He's a little loose on his dribble, especially on his spin move, but I think he'll push tempo a bit more if given the keys to the car and he has sneaky explosiveness that Judah does not have.

Judah is more talented right now from a pure basketball player standpoint, but in terms of Q's future, I'm excited for it.

He's a little loose on his dribble, especially on his spin move, but I think he'll push tempo a bit more if given the keys to the car and he has sneaky explosiveness that Judah does not have.

Judah is more talented right now from a pure basketball player standpoint, but in terms of Q's future, I'm excited for it.
I'm officially 50/50 on him being the PG next year, probably leaning yes, if the alternative is him leaving (no I have no insider info, just speculating). It could be a spectacular or a disaster...I don't see a middle ground.

I'm officially 50/50 on him being the PG next year, probably leaning yes, if the alternative is him leaving (no I have no insider info, just speculating). It could be a spectacular or a disaster...I don't see a middle ground.
I'm would love to see him and Brown in a more position less offense where the ball moves faster and more often

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom