Q- | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Q-

JJ has more turnovers than assists in his college career. It would be a massive failure if we have to start him there next year. Trevor Cooney, Tyus Battle, and Buddy Boeheim had more assists than him at the 2.
I’m not even sure he’s really a starter let along a starting point guard.

It’s pretty apparent to me over the last 10 games or so that Copeland is the heart and soul of this team. I think we’re going to get two years of him really stepping into the team leader role. Add a couple of pieces and maintain some semblance of continuity and we’re in business…
I truly hope you are right...not on being team leader, he is definitely that, but that we get him for 2 more years. It will be "show time"!!!

Yep, I love me some Copeland. I want him on the court for as many minutes is possible. He's a difference maker in so many ways. That said, I counted at least 4 layups (and there might have been more) that he missed because he made them very difficult. He may be forcing it at times. Still, love his play!
.....it is my way of saying "what makes you good, makes you bad". Got to sort it out!!!!!

I’m not even sure he’s really a starter let along a starting point guard.
Huh? Next year assuming Mintz is gone, He’s the only player on the team who can both get his own shot whenever he wants to and he is the only legit 3 level scorer we have. Not to turn this into a jj thread, but how is he not a starter?

Huh? Next year assuming Mintz is gone, He’s the only player on the team who can both get his own shot whenever he wants to and he is the only legit 3 level scorer we have. Not to turn this into a jj thread, but how is he not a starter?
We can start with his defense, I don’t think much has to be said about that. He can’t distribute the ball, he can only go in one direction, and three level scorer? He's beyond inefficient.

We can start with his defense, I don’t think much has to be said about that. He can’t distribute the ball, he can only go in one direction, and three level scorer? He's beyond inefficient.
Not to be rude but can I express my absolute delight at the fact that you make absolutely zero decisions on anything to do with Syracuse basketball?

He’s fine. As long as he’s going to the right.
He is fine going left, he just can finish with the left hand, he should spend all summer on that. I have been very impressed with his progress this year

Wait… JJ has been at Syracuse for a decade?
No, but it's been a decade with subpar results built around inconsistent quad A stars and rosters with people constantly playing out of position. JJ is more of the same unless he can seriously improve his defense. It's pretty amazing how far down in the conference he ranks.

ETA: there are 55 players classified as guards in the ACC with more than 500 minutes played. JJ leads in most minutes played and ranks 45th in D-rating just in front of a pile of GTech and Louisville players.

ETA2: Cope is 7th and Mintz is 26th.

Last edited:
No, but it's been a decade with subpar results built around inconsistent quad A stars and rosters with people constantly playing out of position. JJ is more of the same unless he can seriously improve his defense. It's pretty amazing how far down in the conference he ranks.

ETA: there are 55 players classified as guards in the ACC with more than 500 minutes played. JJ leads in most minutes played and ranks 45th in D-rating just in front of a pile of GTech and Louisville players.
Salute Aye Aye Captain GIF

What people forget is that the NCAA punished Syracuse by taking away three scholarships in each of the next four seasons (2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19). Then came Covid - no coincidence.

What people forget is that the NCAA punished Syracuse by taking away three scholarships in each of the next four seasons (2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19). Then came Covid - no coincidence.
Sanctions!? Why is this the first I'm hearing of that!

Sanctions were an excuse that doesn't fly. Sorry. It's been hashed out on here since they hit. The roster has been exceptionally mismanaged. Starting with the guy responsible for those sanctions.

Sanctions were an excuse that doesn't fly. Sorry. It's been hashed out on here since they hit. The roster has been exceptionally mismanaged. Starting with the guy responsible for those sanctions.
The sanctions caused us not to recruit a backup shooting guard for 3 years

Ha! Good lord! It's unreal how some will still bang that drum without their drumsticks to make the sound legit, at least to the degree that anyone wants to listen to such noise that it was a significant factor vs. a minor contributing one.

This topic had been debated here ad nauseam, and folks certainly took their line in the sand positions, and apparently still do...all of these years later.

During that time, we still rarely filled out the roster, even with three less schollies and typically offered one or more to walk-ons. Moreover, the proximate cause of our slide and fall from grace was on the consistent & numerous swings and misses on the recruiting trail, especially at the most critical position in the game, the point guard spot, along with the 5 spot.

What Jay Bilas stated immediately after the sanctions came out, rung the most true for me. He stated that JB rarely plays more than mostly 6 guys meaningful minutes, at times sometimes 7. He stated that the most significant thing was to make sure that SU got the bulk of the top players that they targeted, and if they did, then he didn't see a drop off, and, for the most part, business as usual. However, we all painfully know how it played out...again, numerous swings and misses for many of our top targets.

I'm sure 20 years from now and longer, there will be folks falsely blaming sanctions as the proximate cause commencing our fall from grace versus the aforementioned.

ETA2: Cope is 7th and Mintz is 26th.
Oh good...another poster that thinks JJ is no good.

I mentioned on somebody’s Twitter/X account yesterday that SU needs to be on the bubble and placed into the NCAA Tourney because America deserves to see Q in The Big Dance. He is guaranteed one if not two spots in One Shining Moment.

SUOrange44

I mentioned on somebody’s Twitter/X account yesterday that SU needs to be on the bubble and placed into the NCAA Tourney because America deserves to see Q in The Big Dance. He is guaranteed one if not two spots in One Shining Moment.

SUOrange44
And he has shown he isn't afraid of the big moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom