Q- | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Q-

Ha! Good lord! It's unreal how some will still bang that drum without their drumsticks to make the sound legit, at least to the degree that anyone wants to listen to such noise that it was a significant factor vs. a minor contributing one.

This topic had been debated here ad nauseam, and folks certainly took their line in the sand positions, and apparently still do...all of these years later.

During that time, we still rarely filled out the roster, even with three less schollies and typically offered one or more to walk-ons. Moreover, the proximate cause of our slide and fall from grace was on the consistent & numerous swings and misses on the recruiting trail, especially at the most critical position in the game, the point guard spot, along with the 5 spot.

What Jay Bilas stated immediately after the sanctions came out, rung the most true for me. He stated that JB rarely plays more than mostly 6 guys meaningful minutes, at times sometimes 7. He stated that the most significant thing was to make sure that SU got the bulk of the top players that they targeted, and if they did, then he didn't see a drop off, and, for the most part, business as usual. However, we all painfully know how it played out...again, numerous swings and misses for many of our top targets.

I'm sure 20 years from now and longer, there will be folks falsely blaming sanctions as the proximate cause commencing our fall from grace versus the aforementioned.
The ships cost us Huerter. And the real killer on the sanctions was only having 2 coaches on the road at any one time. That hurt us very badly.

He’s a show all by himself. He’s really entertaining, His vision is excellent and he’s very unselfish and enjoys assists as much as baskets.

A couple of interesting things from him tonight. I’m not sure if they showed it but helped a Va Tech player up from the floor during live action behind the play in the first half.

He was also the guy to try to pump up Bell after Red ripped him.

I thought his ability to split double teams with the dribble a couple of times tonight shows how good he can be. That’s a tough move and he made it look easy.

I truly expect him to get a triple-double at some point in his career, I just hope TOs aren’t one of the categories.
Dude spot on. Rarely see a one year jump in on the court contributions/ability wer’re seeing out of this kid. Always exciting to watch doing things on the court rarely seen, at least here.

Came to your same conclusion here earlier on seeing his progression:

Kid is an enigma as a player, so hard to pigeon hole or define as a tweener, but not sure that matters, as ya gotta just get the kid on the court.

After last year Cannot believe I find myself saying that but If he keeps it up, keeps the mistakes and emotional theatrics to the crowd etc. to a minimum, then we have a chance to see one of the most memorable players ever here.

As I said above, the dudes a ‍wizard, hope that moniker sticks.

Last edited:
Not too get too off track, but I think those that overstate the impact of the sanctions are wrong. Likewise, those that understate their impact are also wrong. As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle but, you know, LOUD NOISES and such.

Dude spot on. Rarely see a one year jump in on the court contributions/ability wer’re seeing out of this kid. Always exciting to watch doing things on the court rarely seen, at least here.

Came to your same conclusion here earlier on seeing his progression:

Dude is an enigma as a player, so hard to pigeon hole or define as a tweener, but not sure that matters, as ya gotta just get the kid on the court.

After last year Cannot believe I find myself saying that but If he keeps it up, keeps the mistakes and emotional theatrics to the crowd etc. to a minimum, then we have a chance to see one of the most memorable players ever here.

As I said above, the dudes a ‍wizard, hope that moniker sticks.
I forget the specific SU sophomore player that prompted this, or the particular ESPN/UNC commentator, (I think it was Hubert Davis) but the remark was what a consistently great job SU does developing players from year one to year two.

The ships cost us Huerter. And the real killer on the sanctions was only having 2 coaches on the road at any one time. That hurt us very badly.

It’s fair to say we still would’ve been in the running for Huerter, but not that we definitively “lost” him. When he trimmed his list from 8 to 4, SU wasn’t on it. His dad said SU could certainly get back in the running if a scholarship was freed up, but that meant SU being on the trimmed down/final list, not an actual commitment to SU. There was no guarantee, soft verbal, etc. that had we offered him for ’17 by freeing up a scholarship, getting one back, etc. that he would’ve undoubtedly chosen SU. He wasn’t anymore of a lock for us than was Jackson, whom ultimately chose UConn. Therefore, it "may" have cost us.

Additionallly, my recollection was that we tried very hard to convince him to go into the ’17 class, one in which he truly had zero intentions of ever doing based on all of his other solid offers for ’16. I recall us prioritizing Battle over Huerter, and with the two playing the same positions, that played a larger role in in SU’s attempt to persuade him to reclassify.

I also recall there being discussion on this matter back then in some of various related threads that existed. Battle, at the time of his recruitment, was thought to be a one and done type player, 2 at the very most. Huerter was not. And, again, since both played/being recruited at the same positions, it was the main reason SU prioritized Battle over him. As time has shown, Huerter ended up being the NBA player, an excellent one at that with staying power, Battle never made it there.

In regards to only 2 coaches on the road…there was a way around this.

First, the NCAA's term regarding a coach being "on the road'' for recruiting is misleading. A coach can be out of the office, but as long as he's not in the gym at an AAU or high school game, he's not technically on the road.

So this past weekend, Boeheim and Autry headed to Hampton, Va., to attend Nike's EYBL event known as the Boo Williams Invitational. Meanwhile, McNamara went to Dallas for the Adidas Gaunlet.

So, there's that.

Last edited:
Kid is an enigma as a player, so hard to pigeon hole or define as a tweener, but not sure that matters, as ya gotta just get the kid on the court.
doesn't lack for confidence. but i think discretion is taking a back seat to valor.

It’s fair to say we still would’ve been in the running for Huerter, but not that we definitively “lost” him. When he trimmed his list from 8 to 4, SU wasn’t on it. His dad said SU could certainly get back in the running if a scholarship was freed up, but that meant SU being on the trimmed down/final list, not an actual commitment to SU. There was no guarantee, soft verbal, etc. that had we offered him for ’17 by freeing up a scholarship, getting one back, etc. that he would’ve undoubtedly chosen SU. He wasn’t anymore of a lock for us than was Jackson, whom ultimately chose UConn. Therefore, it "may" have cost us.

Additionallly, my recollection was that we tried very hard to convince him to go into the ’17 class, one in which he truly had zero intentions of ever doing based on all of his other solid offers for ’16. I recall us prioritizing Battle over Huerter, and with the two playing the same positions, that played a larger role in in SU’s attempt to persuade him to reclassify.

I also recall there being discussion on this matter back then in some of various related threads that existed. Battle, at the time of his recruitment, was thought to be a one and done type player, 2 at the very most. Huerter was not. And, again, since both played/being recruited at the same positions, it was the main reason SU prioritized Battle over him. As time has shown, Huerter ended up being the NBA player, an excellent one at that with staying power, Battle never made it there.

First, the NCAA's term regarding a coach being "on the road'' for recruiting is misleading. A coach can be out of the office, but as long as he's not in the gym at an AAU or high school game, he's not technically on the road.

So this past weekend, Boeheim and Autry headed to Hampton, Va., to attend Nike's EYBL event known as the Boo Williams Invitational. Meanwhile, McNamara went to Dallas for the Adidas Gaunlet.

So, there's that.
They wouldn't have given us the penalty if it didn't hurt us. There were places we couldn't have coaches. No way that is a plus.

They wouldn't have given us the penalty if it didn't hurt us. There were places we couldn't have coaches. No way that is a plus.

That's not the argument, and I'm not implying that it didn't have some adverse affect. Just your assertion that it was "a real killer" and how that can be refuted/debated based upon the 'work around,' etc. presented.

As well as your definitive "lost" Huerter assertion.

Again, as I said in my initial post, this was debated here ad nauseam at the time, and folks clearly drew their own lines in the sand based upon how one chose to view things. Myself included.

That's not the argument, and I'm not implying that it didn't have some adverse affect. Just your assertion that it was "a real killer" and how that can be refuted/debated based upon the 'work around,' etc. presented.

As well as your definitive "lost" Huerter assertion.

Again, as I said in my initial post, this was debated here ad nauseam at the time, and folks clearly drew their own lines in the sand based upon how one chose to view things. Myself included.
I have pretty good sources as I've shown over the years. I believe we lost Huerter because of the lack of a ship. I will leave it at that.

So, there's that.
So, we recruited a combo guard over a true shooting guard. Sounds vaguely familiar.

I have pretty good sources as I've shown over the years. I believe we lost Huerter because of the lack of a ship. I will leave it at that.
I also have 1st hand knowledge and that is correct. Kevin said multiple times that he would have AND wanted to go to Syracuse, but JBA wanted him to go to prep school for 1 season after he graduated from Shenendehowa so that there would then be a scholarship available for him.

I also have 1st hand knowledge and that is correct. Kevin said multiple times that he would have AND wanted to go to Syracuse, but JBA wanted him to go to prep school for 1 season after he graduated from Shenendehowa so that there would then be a scholarship available for him.
Exactly what I was told at the time. Sadly, the NCAA gave us back a ship and if he had waited just a bit more, he could have gone to Syracuse.

Well, this quote is right from probably the best Kevin Huerter source, his dad. So, there's that.

As with most things in life, we all roll based upon what we see fit.

Thomas Huerter said his son liked the Syracuse coaching staff and he picked Maryland in part because it was close to home. Still, he cautioned, there's no telling how things would have felt on an official visit and whether Syracuse would have been his destination under different circumstances.

Huerter also said he didn't agree with the premise that playing in Syracuse would have been a sure-thing if the Orange had another scholarship, only that the Orange would have been another enticing option.

"I don't know if that's fair (to assume)," Huerter said. "Obviously it's the closest place. I didn't go down the same road I went down with others. I don't think it would have changed anything."

Well, this quote is right from probably the best Kevin Huerter source, his dad. So, there's that.

As with most things in life, we all roll based upon what we see fit.

Thomas Huerter said his son liked the Syracuse coaching staff and he picked Maryland in part because it was close to home. Still, he cautioned, there's no telling how things would have felt on an official visit and whether Syracuse would have been his destination under different circumstances.

Huerter also said he didn't agree with the premise that playing in Syracuse would have been a sure-thing if the Orange had another scholarship, only that the Orange would have been another enticing option.

"I don't know if that's fair (to assume)," Huerter said. "Obviously it's the closest place. I didn't go down the same road I went down with others. I don't think it would have changed anything."
Stop destroying narratives.

Quiet night for Quadir in the box score...but had two of the most electric plays of the night. Love this dude and his style, never change. Even with the bad (which seems less and less often) I don't want him to change unless that means adding a more consistent jumper.

Quiet night for Quadir in the box score...but had two of the most electric plays of the night. Love this dude and his style, never change. Even with the bad (which seems less and less often) I don't want him to change unless that means adding a more consistent jumper.
He has to curb dumb fouls or he will take himself out of games. Hopefully just a bad night.

Definitely needs to play defense more with his feet and less with his hands.
Probably thinks he can do the same thing MaliQ does - that’s a special eye to hand coordination ability.

It’s not just his handle it’s his awareness. He gets the ball taken from behind all the time.

Yeah his basketball IQ leaves a lot to be desired. It’s a pretty good reason why his defense is so poor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom