Class of 2014 - QB AJ Long | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 QB AJ Long

i find twitter useful for information. i don't get into the whole begging for people to follow me and all that, but i also have read on several occasion high profile recruits mentioning fan bases "showing love" on twitter. it adds into the fan base support that is a pretty big part of the decision factor. as i said before it shouldn't be a big deal, but to these kids it shows that the school is recruiting you has a fan base that cares so i encourage people to tweet all they want. most people have strange made up names anyways so it would be almost impossible for the ncaa or whoever to actually try and track those handles to season ticket holders, donor,s etc.

With that said Mavety seems to appreciate the Syracuse love

Chad Mavety @chadmavety55
20h

Soo much love from # its awesome! Cuse fans are wilddd

and AJ has been encouraing fans

Aj Long#⃣3⃣@Aj_Long3
23h

Syracuse fans players Students I need your help with recruiting . Go and blow up their followers and TL's and make them feel wanted!! #Cuse

Coach McDonald has even made a vague comment about it

George McDonald@CoachGMcDonald

# Help us keep the top kids in the GREAT STATE OF NEW YORK HOME! #homegrowntalent #ACC2013 #NYTEAM

Another example

George McDonald@CoachGMcDonald
16m
#OrangeNation are you doing everything you can to support the 2014 Cuse FB team? #ONLYUKNOW #ACC2013 #every1counts

Yea that's ambiguous - not buying tickets for 2013, but supporting 2014

No, you don't know what the rules are.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Enforcement/Resources/Role of boosters in intercollegiate athletics

"Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes." When fans are tweeting a player "Please come to my school!" that is contact for recruiting purposes.

Is the NCAA itself a good enough source for you?

Couple of other points for you.

1) You can go to pretty much any major college's website and find more or less the same verbiage about booster contact with recruits. Just a quick search and I found Michigan, Indiana, and Ok St. all had similar compliance verbiage to the NCAA site I linked above. Some say Boosters should not contact recruits directly, others say noone other than athletic staff should contact recruits directly.

2) The grayness with the rule tends to be the use of the term "Booster". I don't think anyone would deny that Boosters include anyone with a financial interest in a school's athletic program, i.e. private party donors, alumni donors, season ticket holders, organizations that hold fundraisers to benefit the athletic department, etc.

I would argue that the fact that this site just held a sitewide fundraiser for the IPF that was organized by the site would make anyone who is a member here a booster by the strict definition of booster. Therefore, none of us who are members here should be contacting recruits, via social media or otherwise, based on that definition.

If you read my prior posts on this topic you would understand how I came to this conclusion. And I doubt every member here would be defined as a booster merely because this website received funds from some (but not all) of the members. Is the primary purpose of this website to make financial contributions to the athletics department? Is this a recognized university booster organization? What if I didn't make any contributions myself? What if I signed up and have been a silent lurker this entire time?

And you didn't cite the pertinent section of the bylaws. Just a NCAA website discussing the Role of Boosters. Useful commentary but not the primary source. Nice try lawyer wannabee.

No, you don't know what the rules are.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Enforcement/Resources/Role of boosters in intercollegiate athletics

"Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes." When fans are tweeting a player "Please come to my school!" that is contact for recruiting purposes.

Is the NCAA itself a good enough source for you?

Couple of other points for you.

1) You can go to pretty much any major college's website and find more or less the same verbiage about booster contact with recruits. Just a quick search and I found Michigan, Indiana, and Ok St. all had similar compliance verbiage to the NCAA site I linked above. Some say Boosters should not contact recruits directly, others say noone other than athletic staff should contact recruits directly.

2) The grayness with the rule tends to be the use of the term "Booster". I don't think anyone would deny that Boosters include anyone with a financial interest in a school's athletic program, i.e. private party donors, alumni donors, season ticket holders, organizations that hold fundraisers to benefit the athletic department, etc.

I don't have a financial interest in the team. I don't get dividends. What If I just want run a charity, with a mission "to prevent kids from screwing up their lives by going to penn state, Clemson or Rutgers"

This x 1000.
Orangepace please send me your contact info ASAP. I shouldn't have to chase you around the board asking for weeks to get it...last chance... If not contact SU and get Maryland tickets on your own.

If you read my prior posts on this topic you would understand how I came to this conclusion. And I doubt every member here would be defined as a booster merely because this website received funds from some (but not all) of the members. Is the primary purpose of this website to make financial contributions to the athletics department? Is this a recognized university booster organization? What if I didn't make any contributions myself? What if I signed up and have been a silent lurker this entire time?

And you didn't cite the pertinent section of the bylaws. Just a NCAA website discussing the Role of Boosters. Useful commentary but not the primary source. Nice try lawyer wannabee.

I didn't realize linking what's clearly written on the NCAA's compliance website made me a wannabe lawyer.

If you think you're more knowledgeable than the NCAA's own compliance website about their rules and regulations and how to interpret them, then that's your prerogative.

Here's your Bylaw Counselor:

NCAA bylaw 13.02.14:

A “representative of the institution's athletics interests” is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to:
NCAA bylaw 13.02.14:

(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;

(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;

(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;

(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or

(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program.

I believe that Jason Poles is aware that Syracusefan.com exists and by posting on the forum recognizes that the site exists to promote Syracuse sports. I believe that members of this site donated funds to the IPF, both individually and collectively. So I would think that, at a minimum, anyone who donated and were identified as Syracusefan.com members, and then who subsequently contacted a recruit via social media would be committing an infraction based upon the strict interpretation of this ByLaw, which agrees with the NCAA's position on their compliance website. There is no mention of frequency of donations or amount of donation in the ByLaw above.

Here is what I see:

13.01.4 Recruiting by Representatives of Athletics Interests. Representatives of an institution’s
athletics interests (as defined in Bylaw 13.02.14) are prohibited from making in-person, on- or off-campus recruiting
contacts, or written or telephonic communications with a prospective student-athlete or the prospective
student-athlete’s relatives or legal guardians. Specific examples of exceptions to the application of this regulation
are set forth in Bylaw 13.1.2.2 (see Bylaw 13.1.3.5.1.1).

13.02.14 Representative of Athletics Interests. A “representative of the institution’s athletics interests”
is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization
who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletics
administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00)
(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate
athletics program;
(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that
institution;
(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective
student-athletes;
(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or
(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program.

13.1.2 Permissible Recruiters.
13.1.2.1 General Rule. All in-person, on- and off-campus recruiting contacts with a prospective student-athlete
or the prospective student-athlete’s relatives or legal guardians shall be made only by authorized institutional
staff members. Such contact, as well as correspondence and telephone calls, by representatives of an institution’s
athletics interests is prohibited except as otherwise permitted in this section. Violations of this bylaw involving
individuals other than a representative of an institution’s athletics interests shall be considered institutional violations
per Constitution 2.8.1; however, such violations shall not affect the prospective student-athlete’s eligibility.
(Revised: 8/5/04)

I am certainly a 13.02.14 Representative, because I meet the conditions of (b). A guy who walks up and buys a ticket in person for a game would not. He might have made a contribution, but he is not "known (or who should have been known)". Certainly not, if they don't take his name and info at the time of ticket purchase. Even then it would be a stretch. Consider a person who buys season tickets. Say a Notre Dame fan buys a season ticket so that he can see ND play in the Dome. The U has all his info, so he is known. If he then contacts a recruit and "sells" SU to get us in trouble, how can that be a violation? So buying tickets is not necessarily a subsection (b) qualifying criterion.

So 13.01.4 and 13.02.14 seem to bar me decisively from initiating contact with recruits on Twitter or Facebook. I don't think it bars regular SU students in general, nor casual fans who have not otherwise met the criteria of 13.02.14.

But what about 13.1.2.1? The part I put in bold confuses me. Who can violate the bylaws? Are they talking about "average joe student" now making an in-person recruiting visit? Parsing this, it seems to say:

(i) STAFF ONLY can do (X)
(ii) Representatives can't do (X) (redundant, implied by (i)) and they also can't do (Y)
(iii) Violations by other than Representatives are bad

Item (i) grants authority to staff. Nowhere else does the bylaw proscribe something to staff, unless by "this bylaw" they mean all of 13.1.2. So staff can't be a violator for (iii)'s purposes. That has to mean "average joe." But what is "average joe" forbidden to do? All I can come up with is - what the staff was exclusively authorized to do in (i). But that seems ridiculous. Violations by Representatives would not be insitutional, but violations by "average joe" would be?

Not the best-worded bylaw. I'm still not sure whether this bylaw is intended to forbid "average joe" from doing what is also forbidden to Representatives.

How did such a positive thread turn into a pissing match so quickly? Let's get back to AJ Long in this thread.

Start another "To twit or not to twit" thread to discuss these gray recruiting violation areas. Let's keep this thread going for all things related to AJ Long, not NCAA recruiting rules. It would be much appreciated!

Orangepace please send me your contact info ASAP. I shouldn't have to chase you around the board asking for weeks to get it...last chance... If not contact SU and get Maryland tickets on your own.
Mark, just arrived back from 14 days in Europe. Relax man, no need to take a scolding tone, im not 5. You will have it in a few minutes.

TheBigSqueez is the perfect example of why new members here should have to pass a test as well as be interviewed by me prior to being granted access to posting here.

Proper use of you're, your, their, they're, mute and moot would be a bonus. But for those doofuses (you know who you are...) who stink at grammar (Mark) or have no opposable thumbs (SWC) but still provide quality insight and posts to the board, my interview process (aka give me $20) would still allow you to join.

TheBigSqueez is the perfect example of why new members here should have to pass a test as well as be interviewed by me prior to being granted access to posting here.

Proper use of you're, your, their, they're, mute and moot would be a bonus. But for those doofuses (you know who you are...) who stink at grammar (Mark) or have no opposable thumbs (SWC) but still provide quality insight and posts to the board, my interview process (aka give me $20) would still allow you to join.
You charged me $50, What?

Mark, just arrived back from 14 days in Europe. Relax man, no need to take a scolding tone, im not 5. You will have it in a few minutes.

I was just getting frustrated...we are all busy. I have nearly 50 cats to herd with this game/tailgate. It is all good now. Thanks for the reply. I still love you. :cool:

I was just getting frustrated...we are all busy. I have nearly 50 cats to herd with this game/tailgate. It is all good now. Thanks for the reply. I still love you. :cool:
Wasn't saying I'm more busy than anyone else... just was stating the fact I was out of the country and traveling between countries in Europe... which for being as old as it is, doesn't have a comparable 21st century communication setup like we have here in the states. Made it very hard to check this forum and because of that, I only posted in one thread while overseas... the tecmo draft!

All settled and thanks for taking care of all this Mark. Greatly appreciated.

Thats more information than any of us need to hear! :eek:

Wasn't saying I'm more busy than anyone else... just was stating the fact I was out of the country and traveling between countries in Europe... which for being as old as it is, doesn't have a comparable 21st century communication setup like we have here in the states. Made it very hard to check this forum and because of that, I only posted in one thread while overseas... the tecmo draft!

All settled and thanks for taking care of all this Mark. Greatly appreciated.
Me too, I was in Cancun when I sent mine. Just saying.....:rolleyes:

i actually think it was his dad who did that. i believe his handle is the acelong one?

Ahh...facetious definitely doesn't always translate in posts. Yes it is his Dad. Think SU should retain his father for recruiting promos next year.

AJ was bumped back down to NR in the latest TOS rankings.