Class of 2024 - QB AJ Miller (NY) PWO COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (1/30/24) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 QB AJ Miller (NY) PWO COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (1/30/24)

For real. Tuition costs like 7 million dollars a semester plus your eternal soul. I love SU as much as the next guy but id have a hard time stomaching that bill for 4 years... (though as a 17 year old kid I wouldn't think about the crippling life debt and say YOLO I'm Orange because lord knows I didn't understand the gravity of my financial choices then)
It’s so crazy how much the cost has gone up, I mean it’s like what, over $80,000 per year all in now? It was about $25,000 when I went to SU, granted I started 39 years ago but still!

PWO might be getting some NIL love. It’s not the same as walking on 15 years ago.

I think he turned down a full ride at UConn to walk on here.

Update: I think his UConn Ofer was also PWO.

Last edited:
If/when one or two Qb’s depart, opportunity to put him on scholarship, assuming enough other spots are freed up to cover others coming in September.

If not that at least a path to a full ride must have laid out.
It is a tough thing to be a good, not great HS QB these days.

An increasing number of schools appear to be focusing all or almost all of their attention recruiting QBs from the portal. To even get on the radar of those types of schools, you need to already be in college.

AJ has figured out a way to get on the radar of a lot of schools using an unconventional approach. Good for him. This might work out well for Syracuse and AJ.

I like this. Watching his film, it does seem like he has a little bit of a funky throwing motion. Good arm though, so I'm sure they think they can coach him up

Especially from the offensive coordinator. Seems like if they did, that would be a job more fitting for an assistant. Are we positive he wasn't offered a scholarship?

Clearly he's viewed positively by the staff.

Clearly he's viewed positively by the staff.

1706654523510.gif

Really high quality walk on. He's not a runner by any means and not really elusive but he seems to at least have a good feel for when to move in the pocket when needed. Kid is very accurate. No easy passes in his highlights. Lots of deep shots. Throws a very catchable ball right where the receiver wants it.
Agreed. If you take the time to look at his film you'll see a QB who can throw, is accurate and will fit in nicely in the QB room and learn from McCord and Coach Nunzio.

I was a walk on wayyyy back when Floyd was a freshman. I came from NJ was an All - State QB, but none of the schools recruiting me had the major I wanted. So, I came to Syracuse, walked down Comstock to Manley into the freshman, (Jim Shreve), coaches office told him I wanted to play. He told me to stand on one foot which I did for about 3 minutes then told me to go to Al Zak and get my stuff.

To make a long story short I became good friends with Floyd Little - (we both ran the same 9.7 100 yard dash, I was NJ State Champion 100 & 200 YD that year), every day at the end of practice we ran sprints - Floyd and I had fun but other players were telling us to slow down. After warming up with Ted Holman, the first string QB, they found I could throw the ball as hard, as tightly spiraled, as long and accurately as he could.

The first play they had me run to see if I could catch, was a go route down the right side line against an All-American D Back from Ohio. Juke stepped him at the snap and burned him for a long TD. Shreve went nuts when he saw that. But they gave me a scholie. AJ is getting the royal treatment from coach Nixon. I saw about six assistant and three head coaches from other schools who recruited and offered me but I never saw a Syracuse coach until I got into the SU locker room.

The point is that it's your confidence in you that matters. You know what you can do and have goals
for yourself. If you believe you can, you will succeed in sports and in life. I think the coaches saw AJ Miller and saw how accurate he was, how far and how well he could throw the ball, among other things and believed he would be a positive addition to the team. Good luck to him and to us this coming year under HCFB. :)

Last edited:
Agreed. If you take the time to look at his film you'll see a QB who can throw, is accurate and will fit in nicely in the QB room and learn from McCord and Coach Nunzio.

I was a walk on wayyyy back when Floyd was a freshman. I came from NJ was an All - State QB, but none of the schools recruiting me had the major I wanted. So, I came to Syracuse, walked down Comstock to Manley into the freshman, (Jim Shreve), coaches office told him I wanted to play. He told me to stand on one foot which I did for about 3 minutes then told me to go to Al Zak and get my stuff.

To make a long story short I became good friends with Floyd Little - (we both ran the same 9.7 100 yard dash, I was NJ State Champion 100 & 200 YD that year), every day at the end of practice we ran sprints - Floyd and I had fun but other players were telling us to slow down. After warming up with Ted Holman, the first string QB, they found I could throw the ball as hard, as tightly spiraled, as long and accurately as he could.

The first play they had me run to see if I could catch, was a go route down the right side line against an All-American D Back from Ohio. Juke stepped him at the snap and burned him for a long TD. Shreve went nuts when he saw that. But they gave me a scholie. AJ is getting the royal treatment from coach Nixon. I saw about six assistant and three head coaches from other schools who recruited and offered me but I never saw a Syracuse coach until I got into the SU locker room.

The point is that it's your confidence in you that matters. You know what you can do and have goals
for yourself. If you believe you can, you will succeed in sports and in life. I think the coaches saw AJ Miller and saw how accurate he was, how far and how well he could throw the ball, among other things and believed he would be a positive addition to the team. Good luck to him and to us this coming year under HCFB. :)
Great story - ah, the days of the hundred yard dash.

We lost our last QB to throw a pass last year to an unheard-of D2 school and gaining a walk-on QB turning down minor DI offers (UCLOWN.)

The upgrades are everywhere.

I mean, we literally just got a G5 scholarship kid as a preferred walk on. That’s pretty cool.
Did he have scholarship offers from any FBS programs?

It’s so crazy how much the cost has gone up, I mean it’s like what, over $80,000 per year all in now? It was about $25,000 when I went to SU, granted I started 39 years ago but still!
When I went to Syracuse in 1977, the cost of attendance was around $13,000.00 ! The cost went up at least $1,000.00 every year. I can remember my Dad saying "Son, Are you sure you want to go to Syracuse? Pennsylvania has some really good State Schools"! The point is...it is all relative. For my Economists out there, I was a Biology major, what is the buying power equivalent today of 13K in 1977?

Really high quality walk on. He's not a runner by any means and not really elusive but he seems to at least have a good feel for when to move in the pocket when needed. Kid is very accurate. No easy passes in his highlights. Lots of deep shots. Throws a very catchable ball right where the receiver wants it.
Someone whose name I can’t remember who used to play for the Patriots was not particularly mobile either. Tom something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom