Class of 2014 - QB Alin Edouard (FL) to Garden City CC/Commits to Jackson State/Returns to JUCO/Joining Coach Acosta's Coaching Staff Del Valle HS | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 QB Alin Edouard (FL) to Garden City CC/Commits to Jackson State/Returns to JUCO/Joining Coach Acosta's Coaching Staff Del Valle HS

He wouldn't have to go to juco for the act he could just keep taking it. He probably had a class he took not qualify and failed to get a passing grade in a ncaa approved class and had to go to juco to fix it.

He wouldn't have to go to juco for the act he could just keep taking it. He probably had a class he took not qualify and failed to get a passing grade in a ncaa approved class and had to go to juco to fix it.

If it were just 1 class why wouldn't he just be able to go the postgraduate route? You wouldn't need to go to Junior College just to fill a core course requirement, that could be done at a prep school. Unless you are a full qualifier, or partial qualifier, you wouldn't be able to move on from a JC until you complete your AD. Typically you go to JC if you had some more work to do. I guess it's possible, but if he was trying to get to a 4 year college as quick as possible I don't think JC would be the route unless he really had to.

I know Ishmael mentioned last Fall that Alin was awaiting a passing test score. Then I believe it was in October he re-took the ACT. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but do you know if there is a sliding scale where if you have such GPA, you need to score such on your SAT/ACT?

He could have, and would have gone to Prep School starting in the fall if he was missing a class. I have hard time believing that Alin needed a class, Shafer continually said he'd be here, and then Alin isn't enrolled anywhere to get the class he needs.

Again we're all just speculating, but if I connect all the dots it looks like a test issue to me, i.e., he flunked an admission test that he continued to flunk.

If it were just 1 class why wouldn't he just be able to go the postgraduate route? You wouldn't need to go to Junior College just to fill a core course requirement, that could be done at a prep school. Unless you are a full qualifier, or partial qualifier, you wouldn't be able to move on from a JC until you complete your AD. Typically you go to JC if you had some more work to do. I guess it's possible, but if he was trying to get to a 4 year college as quick as possible I don't think JC would be the route unless he really had to.

I know Ishmael mentioned last Fall that Alin was awaiting a passing test score. Then I believe it was in October he re-took the ACT. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but do you know if there is a sliding scale where if you have such GPA, you need to score such on your SAT/ACT?

It's usually a 1+1 type situation that the school has, a formula between the test score and the GPA, but there are absolute minimums I believe on both.

The whole situation seems like he came in the summer still awaiting a test score, assuming he'd passed...didn't get it, had to go home, was working on passing the test again and didn't get it again. Who knows how many times he's taken it, maybe he's taken it a high number of times and at this point just doesn't think he'll pass it. Maybe he's worked really hard on prepping and still isn't close. Again, all speculation, but that seems like a more likely scenario than him missing a class.

bnoro said:
We weren't recruiting a QB until Alin didn't make it. Then we decided to recruit Dungey, who committed. We did replace him...

1 QB isn't enough when you've got a senior in Hunt and 2 underclassmen who, I believe, won't ever get it done.

Wilson is close to a bust and Long doesn't have the physical tools to be a good dual-threat QB.

So we all pray that Dungey is the guy.

Yes it's a sliding scale min scores are GPA of 2.0 with an sat of 1010 or act of 86.
If it was a sat or act score he could just keep taking the test I need to go to school. If he was having trouble there are schools for just those tests or tutors for those tests. The only reason to go juco is if you can't make the gpa. Judging by the fact that he came and went home I would say his classes he took in high school didn't qualify. Shy was going to take a biology class this year but he already took 1 previously so the second time around the class score wouldn't count he had to take anatomy this year to meet min qualifications. His high school had no idea that would be the case it was syracuse that told them to switch his class. So I would imagine they thought all his class were set and he had met sliding scale only to find out the classes he took did not qualify. He may have tried summer school or night classes and didn't pass leading to thinking he would be here in January and not passing. I can't imagine rolling the dice on two years of juco and spending the money if it was just a test score to many easier cheaper ways

It's usually a 1+1 type situation that the school has, a formula between the test score and the GPA, but there are absolute minimums I believe on both.

The whole situation seems like he came in the summer still awaiting a test score, assuming he'd passed...didn't get it, had to go home, was working on passing the test again and didn't get it again. Who knows how many times he's taken it, maybe he's taken it a high number of times and at this point just doesn't think he'll pass it. Maybe he's worked really hard on prepping and still isn't close. Again, all speculation, but that seems like a more likely scenario than him missing a class.

This is pretty much what I have been thinking.

It's the ncaa sliding scale ... FS.ncaa.org/docs/eligibility_center/quick_reference_sheet.pdf

Schools must use this for a minimum to play ncaa. Schools can require higher but cuse doesn't.

This is pretty much what I have been thinking.
The other thing that makes me feel it was more than a test score is I got a call today from syracuse asking me to send Shy's sat score in he wouldn't even be allowed to take the offical of he didn't have the minimum test score. If it was somthing as sole as a test score or even his GPA number they never would have let him come at all... They would have caught that.

do they really have this many options in hs? i graduated in 03 and everyone pretty much took the same classes, outside maybe technology, drama, and maybe one or two other things.

Yes it's a sliding scale min scores are GPA of 2.0 with an sat of 1010 or act of 86.
If it was a sat or act score he could just keep taking the test I need to go to school. If he was having trouble there are schools for just those tests or tutors for those tests. The only reason to go juco is if you can't make the gpa. Judging by the fact that he came and went home I would say his classes he took in high school didn't qualify. Shy was going to take a biology class this year but he already took 1 previously so the second time around the class score wouldn't count he had to take anatomy this year to meet min qualifications. His high school had no idea that would be the case it was syracuse that told them to switch his class. So I would imagine they thought all his class were set and he had met sliding scale only to find out the classes he took did not qualify. He may have tried summer school or night classes and didn't pass leading to thinking he would be here in January and not passing. I can't imagine rolling the dice on two years of juco and spending the money if it was just a test score to many easier cheaper ways

thats horse. if hes good at biology and he likes it, it should count differently from anatomy.

Whatever the situation I am pulling for the kid whether or not he ever makes it to SU. Kid needs a break.

I do remember reading something about a couple kids from his HS having problems getting qualified because there were some classes they took that didn't count, or something along those lines. I have a feeling it's a mixture of both things.

The other thing that makes me feel it was more than a test score is I got a call today from syracuse asking me to send Shy's sat score in he wouldn't even be allowed to take the offical of he didn't have the minimum test score. If it was somthing as sole as a test score or even his GPA number they never would have let him come at all... They would have caught that.

I knew that was a requirement, but there are still kids who come on official visits, and then end up not qualifying. For example Prater came for his OV last year, but then ended up not qualifying. Same with KJ, and we knew he was struggling to get a passing test score. Going back to the sliding scale, maybe they could have a min. test score, but there GPA wasn't where it needed? The whole thing is confusing, especially when we are all speculating. What makes it even more confusing was that he had to go to Junior College, which is usually only done when you have a lot more work to do then 1 class.

thats horse . if hes good at biology and he likes it, it should count differently from anatomy.
I think they do it to avoid kids taking the same course over because the can breeze through it. It did kinda stink shy had wanted to take an algebra class and they told him it wouldn't count to his GPA. He had to take statistics class instead. They changed his whole schedule this year

I do remember reading something about a couple kids from his HS having problems getting qualified because there were some classes they took that didn't count, or something along those lines. I have a feeling it's a mixture of both things.

I knew that was a requirement, but there are still kids who come on official visits, and then end up not qualifying. For example Prater came for his OV last year, but then ended up not qualifying. Same with KJ, and we knew he was struggling to get a passing test score. Going back to the sliding scale, maybe they could have a min. test score, but there GPA wasn't where it needed? The whole thing is confusing, especially when we are all speculating. What makes it even more confusing was that he had to go to Junior College, which is usually only done when you have a lot more work to do then 1 class.
Yeah I'm thinking they may have added the test score thing to avoid future problems. When we went to BC coach adazzio told us when shy got his report card if he made honor roll to send it to him and he would offer. He said Bc requires at least the 2.3 GPA and doesn't use the ncaa min. He said he got in trouble in prior years and couldn't take kids close to min. I wonder if syracuse is requiring the GPA up front now.

The juco thing is really strange and it's why I think it was class qualification. He may have had a bunch of classes not eligible. At least with prep you can leave to the 4 year when you get qualified with the juco you have to do the 2 years to meet eligibility... Unless your like trey who didn't need the score just went to develope

I think they do it to avoid kids taking the same course over because the can breeze through it. It did kinda stink shy had wanted to take an algebra class and they told him it wouldn't count to his GPA. He had to take statistics class instead. They changed his whole schedule this year
Ah, statistics - he is probably better off!

One other thing to think about: With the specter of the NCAA penalties...SU might be super careful about admitting any one with any hint of questionable academic coursework...

One other thing to think about: With the specter of the NCAA penalties...SU might be super careful about admitting any one with any hint of questionable academic coursework...
I'm not sure you could even slid it by. Shy had to sign up( pay $160) and create an account. His sat and act tests have to Be marked 9999 to have them sent to the ncaa. Then at graduation his school has to send his transcript to the ncaa and syracuse has to submit to the NCAA for his eligiblity. The NCAA reviews score against the scale and they make the eligiblity decision based of that and the transcripts. No eligiblity from ncaa no scholarship or play.

Also the NCAA requirements for qualification are going to increase next year. They might just be starting to require this info before OVs to set a structure in place for the future.

Yeah I'm thinking they may have added the test score thing to avoid future problems. When we went to BC coach adazzio told us when shy got his report card if he made honor roll to send it to him and he would offer. He said Bc requires at least the 2.3 GPA and doesn't use the ncaa min. He said he got in trouble in prior years and couldn't take kids close to min. I wonder if syracuse is requiring the GPA up front now.

The juco thing is really strange and it's why I think it was class qualification. He may have had a bunch of classes not eligible. At least with prep you can leave to the 4 year when you get qualified with the juco you have to do the 2 years to meet eligibility... Unless your like trey who didn't need the score just went to develope

Yeah I guess I can see him coming to campus and then a bunch of classes getting challenged...the whole JUCO thing is what I have a hard time wrapping my head around if it is actually due to classes. I would have expected him to go JUCO in the fall if that was the case...unless he missed the enrollment deadlines.

Also the NCAA requirements for qualification are going to increase next year. They might just be starting to require this info before OVs to set a structure in place for the future.
That's another great point the sliding scale moves up this August. It's on the same link I posted. I told shy I will kill him if he misses GPA. He would have to prep and it may take longer given the higher requirment coming in.

Yeah I guess I can see him coming to campus and then a bunch of classes getting challenged...the whole JUCO thing is what I have a hard time wrapping my head around if it is actually due to classes. I would have expected him to go JUCO in the fall if that was the case...unless he missed the enrollment deadlines.
The only thing I figure is he tried summer classes and night school and didn't make it. If he thought he could make it that way and save money and get to cuse in January it would make sense. He could avoid the cost of prep and not take the time of juco. He may have had to go juco... Tough to get funding for prep schools ... Plenty of state Nd federal money for juco

Bummed. Is this really how we're going to start 2015?

sorry for the formatting, copied straight from Twitter:

Alin Edouard @SelfMade_Alin · 14m14 minutes ago
IM GLAD IN THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN WE HAVE MUSIC , IMAGINE LIFE WITHOUT MUSIC ?????
1f633.png
1f633.png

Alin Edouard @SelfMade_Alin · 21m21 minutes ago
REAL RECOGNIZE REAL
1f4af.png

Alin Edouard retweeted
Durell Eskridge @DurellEskridge · Jan 19
Up just cooling thinking about my dream

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member