Class of 2018 - QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF

<whispers>Sophomore DeVito > Sophomore Dungey</whispers>
I understand. I think Tommy will be much better next year and then again his sr year. I just think we need to recruit more and better qb's

Lose three OL to graduation next year
Clark (OL) was just Med DQ
Usually attrition at OL on top of that

Should be DL not just DT

DL loses 3-4 to graduation next year
Who knows what attrition might hit there
we are probably bringing in 4 OT this year alone. plus only one starter will graduate next year. i can see us bringing in 2-3 but 5 is overexaggerating imo. and we always bring in 4 or so DE+DT every year. the way you write smells of hyperbole and overexxageration

we are probably bringing in 4 OT this year alone. plus only one starter will graduate next year. i can see us bringing in 2-3 but 5 is overexaggerating imo. and we always bring in 4 or so DE+DT every year. the way you write smells of hyperbole and overexxageration
We have one OL commit (Barclay)

Hoping to land a transfer and maybe one more OL this year

Not sure where you get four?

We have one OL commit (Barclay)

Hoping to land a transfer and maybe one more OL this year

Not sure where you get four?
Illoa is a OL commit. Bliech and then Reed. that will make 4

edit: also forgot the Magnusson that would make 5 if we get the other 2

<whispers>Sophomore DeVito > Sophomore Dungey</whispers>

This is absolutely incorrect in so many ways.

1. Dungey was statistically better - Completion %, yards (passing and rushing), yards per attempt and QB rating
2. Dungey was playing in his first year in a new system
3. Dungey was a true sophomore

Illoa is a OL commit. Bliech and then Reed. that will make 4

edit: also forgot the Magnusson that would make 5 if we get the other 2
IF and hope

And why would they move Illoa to O instead of DT where we have zero proven depth?

Lose Heckel, Servais, Davis, Clark (gone)

Everything is solved by snagging a transfer with either 2 or 3 years left that can be the next guy up. If TD gets injured next season you're screwed but they gotta work that portal. It's the only real option to even the talent level to a point where we can compete consistently with Top 25 P5 programs.

You likely know more than me, but when a QB transfers from a school because he gets passed over for playing time, my gut says he wants to go to a place that nearly guarantees playing time.

The fact that we even had to hope to land a portal QB is ridiculous. Dino needs to hire some coaches that can recruit. Move the father in law to a non coaching staff position and hire a true QB coach. QB coaching is critical. The fact that he would hire this guy is strange to begin with. Having him coach our QBs is a joke.

Shafer did not bring in any bigtime QB recruits. Dungey's offers were Harvard,Yale and Wyoming. He became one of SU's best QBs ever because he developed, had the heart of a lion and got better each year. He did it also on Dino's watch, not Shafer.

I’m probably not alone, but I thought Dungey would be a star — or close to it — before he stepped on campus. DeVito still has two years and while I don’t expect him to match Dungey’s success as a senior, he could still find success before he’s finished.

I’m probably not alone, but I thought Dungey would be a star — or close to it — before he stepped on campus. DeVito still has two years and while I don’t expect him to match Dungey’s success as a senior, he could still find success before he’s finished.
Dungey is a great player but he was not a bigtime recruit, there is a differece there

This is absolutely incorrect in so many ways.

1. Dungey was statistically better - Completion %, yards (passing and rushing), yards per attempt and QB rating
2. Dungey was playing in his first year in a new system
3. Dungey was a true sophomore

Fair - I hadn’t looked and assumed he’d overtaken him. He was on pace to.

but:

1. TD had a more passing TD and less INT. Completion % is really close, as is QB rating. Yards are a result of running less tempo, IMO.
2. Good point.
3. It‘s unfair that we couldn’t redshirt freshman Dungey, but it did mean he came into his 2nd year with more meaningful playing time than TD did this year.

Some additional points:

4. Maybe we should have compared their first years as starting QB?
5. and most importantly, this close of a comparison makes my point, no? Tommy gets much more grief than Eric did, but they are roughly tracking similar career paths, so far. And that is good.

Jeff Scott knocked it out of the park here. Didn't think he was going to be able to pull kids from P5 schools to G5 but here we are.

Kid wants to play right away. Not sure that would happen here. Sucks but it’s totally understandable.

Fair - I hadn’t looked and assumed he’d overtaken him. He was on pace to.

but:

1. TD had a more passing TD and less INT. Completion % is really close, as is QB rating. Yards are a result of running less tempo, IMO.
2. Good point.
3. It‘s unfair that we couldn’t redshirt freshman Dungey, but it did mean he came into his 2nd year with more meaningful playing time than TD did this year.

Some additional points:

4. Maybe we should have compared their first years as starting QB?
5. and most importantly, this close of a comparison makes my point, no? Tommy gets much more grief than Eric did, but they are roughly tracking similar career paths, so far. And that is good.

Total Yards:

Dungey - 2972
Devito - 2482

They both accounted for 21 TDs and Dungey played 3 less games due to injury

You likely know more than me, but when a QB transfers from a school because he gets passed over for playing time, my gut says he wants to go to a place that nearly guarantees playing time.

I agree. So if you get a regular transfer with 3 to play that sits his transfer year he'll be eligible in TD senior season and will be a redshirt junior. It's perfect timing if you get the right guy.

I just believe it may be easier to find talent on other P5 benches than it is to entice high end hs kids right now.

I saw Minnesota do it this year and it really caught my eye.

So Babers was recruiting a transfer QB to play next year (like Fortin) by telling him “DeVito is my man.”??

How do you explain Dino going after Fortin then?
he has to get a qb period.

Where did USF come from? Were they always on his radar or did they swoop in to make an offer he couldn't refuse?

he has to get a qb period.

Don’t think anyone is saying he doesn’t.

But you implied Dino’s approach to recruiting a transfer QB, with immediate eligibility, was to tell him that DeVito is his starter.

You don’t actually believe that, right?