Class of 2018 - QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF

As I posted elsewhere previously, staff has made the same mistake over and over at the QB position-Focusing on one guy, letting him take his time without having a backup plan. This has been a problem for 3 years.

Totally agree. I may be wrong, but it seems that we cast a narrow net on QB's. I mean, even Fortin was a Hail Mary who hit the transfer portal. Recruiting QB's here would not be this difficult if we didn't straitjacket ourselves by only going after 'just the right guy'. No way there's only one right guy every year.

I just think it’s hilarious that people are acting as if the desperate need for depth and competition is gone because this guy chose someone else.
Yeah cause that is what I said.
My god if you want to call me out atleast do it like my friend Dasher does.
He and I can disagree and it’s a discussion.
Nobody is saying we don’t need a QB in this class. Hell I created a thread on the FB on this issue weeks ago.
We need another recruit. Fortin isn’t the type of recruit I personally didn’t want. That doesn’t mean we can’t use another QB in this class. Good job passive aggressively coming at me though. Well done.

I want talent. I also think DeVito is good enough that I want a depth QB and a piece for the future not a guy who is going to expect to be the guy from day 1.
Joe Fields was ruined because we rushed him into QB instead of just going with Perry Patterson.
There was talk Fields was promised the start. That ruined him. I don’t want a QB coming in expecting to start. When we have a decent prospect.
I believe Fortin didn’t come here because he didn’t think he would start day 1. I don’t want those guys.
If Fortin didn't come here because he was afraid of competition, I don't want him. Competition is good for the program. And good for the athlete. In what other spot do we say, no we don't want someone good because that will create competition for the position? I want great players at all positions. I don't care who wins the job.

We are one hit away from learning a lot more about David Summers.

The guy who eventually replaces TD in a positive way isn’t on the team now and probably isn’t the QB we recruit over the next few months to provide depth. Dino will sink or swim with DeVito. If he fails or becomes injured, it’ll probably cost Dino his job.

I thought Dan Villari's tape looked really good. Surprised he hasn't at least gotten a visit from the staff.
( first mentioned by Orangepassion in the "Other Qb's" thread.)

Think Michigan just offered him after losing their commit to a heart condition.

Yeah cause that is what I said.
My god if you want to call me out atleast do it like my friend Dasher does.
He and I can disagree and it’s a discussion.
Nobody is saying we don’t need a QB in this class. Hell I created a thread on the FB on this issue weeks ago.
We need another recruit. Fortin isn’t the type of recruit I personally didn’t want. That doesn’t mean we can’t use another QB in this class. Good job passive aggressively coming at me though. Well done.

I actually wasn't specifically coming at you my Patriots friend. I have seen this stuff all over this board, and elsewhere in recent days. Not a personal slight.

FWIW- I agree with your point that I dont want nor do we need a guy who thinks he is a day 1 starter.
But we do desperately need someone who is good enough thathe COULD be the day 2 starter if the crap hits the fan

Summers never suited up to play last season. Sure, he was probably never going to play as a redshirt. But I have limited confidence that he will be a serviceable backup next season. His workouts last summer were not favorable. It’s Culpepper or bust.
Culpepper had offers from Clemson, Ohio State and Florida. He played at powerhouse Plant High in Tampa. He's got football smarts, his father played a long time in the NFL. He's also big and physical, so much that he switched to tight end when we had a glut of QBs. We are fine with Rex at QB. Stop worrying.

I just think it’s hilarious that people are acting as if the desperate need for depth and competition is gone because this guy chose someone else.
QUOTE="orange79, post: 3219767, member: 159"]
Who said that?
[/QUOTE]
You are wondering who said that (rightfully so), and I'm wondering how that sentence makes any sense at all as in written.

No doubt this is a miss for the staff and sucks. We’ll see what churns up.

Not trying to say this is good news, but it’s December other options will materialize with the transfer portal being what it has become.
I read an article today that stated that 80-85% of recruits will sign early. So there are still 15-20% of recruits that won't sign until February...plus there are all those kids wandering through the portal.

None of that is an issue for me. The issue is that we should be bringing in solid qb prospects each and every year. The fact that we have one on the roster is ridiculous. You want to count Summer, okay. He did have a Maryland offer. But still...a school like Syracuse that wants to put offense in the spotlight, a dome no less, should bring in qb's. And we just don't. Marrone didn't really bring in any. Shafer, one. Dino one. That is terrible.
Shafer did not bring in any bigtime QB recruits. Dungey's offers were Harvard,Yale and Wyoming. He became one of SU's best QBs ever because he developed, had the heart of a lion and got better each year. He did it also on Dino's watch, not Shafer.

Culpepper had offers from Clemson, Ohio State and Florida. He played at powerhouse Plant High in Tampa. He's got football smarts, his father played a long time in the NFL. He's also big and physical, so much that he switched to tight end when we had a glut of QBs. We are fine with Rex at QB. Stop worrying.
Didnt he almost beat out Welch for the #2 spot preseason?

Shafer did not bring in any bigtime QB recruits. Dungey's offers were Harvard,Yale and Wyoming. He became one of SU's best QBs ever because he developed, had the heart of a lion and got better each year. He did it also on Dino's watch, not Shafer.
Let's stop right there. Dungey was very good as a freshman. And he was brought in by Shafer. Period. That is a fact. When Dino brings in someone as good as Dungey, I'll give him credit for it. So far, he hasn't. TD's star rating notwithstanding. I suppose you want to give Marrone credit for Nassib as well? I don't.

I read an article today that stated that 80-85% of recruits will sign early. So there are still 15-20% of recruits that won't sign until February...plus there are all those kids wandering through the portal.

True. But I suspect that many who don't sign have grade issues.

I'm sure that we'll find a patch of some sort. I just don't understand why we continue to find ourselves in this position. It's not like we're running the Wing-T.

Dungey was really good before Babers came to SU.
He was a nice surprise as a freshman and then got hurt for at least the last four games and Zach filled in. I will agree with you though, ED was good as a freshman under Shafer.

Let's stop right there. Dungey was very good as a freshman. And he was brought in by Shafer. Period. That is a fact. When Dino brings in someone as good as Dungey, I'll give him credit for it. So far, he hasn't. TD's star rating notwithstanding. I suppose you want to give Marrone credit for Nassib as well? I don't.
Nassib never played a down for dunderhead Robinson. I give credit to dunderhead for recruiting him but DM developed him. And developed him well, he let Paulus play but Nassib got valuable playing time as a redshirt freshman.