Class of 2021 - QB Carlos Del Rio Wilson (GA) Transferring from Florida to Syracuse | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Carlos Del Rio Wilson (GA) Transferring from Florida to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this kid can play. He ended up redshirting last year at UF, so he has 4 years available. I believe SU offered him back in 2019 when he was a sophomore at McEachern.

Carlos was a 4 star. He is from Powder Springs, GA and was at 3 powerhouse football high schools before heading to UF. He started out and played for McEachern which is a school we play in our Region. Then he was at Grayson (Loganville, GA). He finished up high school at Cartersville (juwt up the road from me and same school as Trevor Lawrence).

Hope he plays.. plays well... and stays. Either way this makes the QB room better and more competitive.

Go Cuse!
What school district are you in? We’re just down the street from Milton.

Could? Shrader is the starter. The new guy was 4th on the UF depth chart and a freshman
I was unaware how many seasons he played with UF with Covid and all. Just making a point not to put all of our confidence in Del Rio Wilson this early.

Last edited:
Wow, this kid can play. He ended up redshirting last year at UF, so he has 4 years available. I believe SU offered him back in 2019 when he was a sophomore at McEachern.

Carlos was a 4 star. He is from Powder Springs, GA and was at 3 powerhouse football high schools before heading to UF. He started out and played for McEachern which is a school we play in our Region. Then he was at Grayson (Loganville, GA). He finished up high school at Cartersville (juwt up the road from me and same school as Trevor Lawrence).

Hope he plays.. plays well... and stays. Either way this makes the QB room better and more competitive.

Go Cuse!
Sounds like when he transferred for his senior year to Grayson, there was an issue and he was not allowed to play. He had to transfer in October to Cartersville, where he immediately became the starting QB and won 7 straight games for them.

That and they saw where Villari was.
^^^ With Lamson down and seeing what Villari perhaps was not bringing to the table. I don't think this is about Shrader. This is about the rest of the QB room BUT there's nothing wrong with bringing in a guy who pushes Shrader either. Glad this guy is on board and there's zero downside to this pickup. All upside.

I’m not convinced Villari wasn’t intended for another position the begin with. Prototype TE size and big time athlete.
Villari has to want to play TE for this to happen ... Hough wanted to play defense which is why Baber's moved him.

Man has Dino really turned it up this off season
I’ve been calling for Dino’s scalp for 2.5 years but he has done really well and deserves credit for the coaches, players he got to come back and transfers. That being said if he doesn’t bring in some Dline I think we are a sub 500 team.

Sure is nice to have respected and revered OC / QB coach combo that has put guys in the league.
Feels like our WR recruiting is about to take a step forward too

In modern college football, with the speed / athleticism on defense, it is difficult for QB's to make it through the season upright.

Shrader is a proven commodity [flaws and all], but there is a dropoff on paper when we move down the list with all of the other candidates. Lamson -- size and experience. Villari -- unproven / productivity. Morgan -- upside. Etc.

Now, Lamson is hurt. And I'm guessing that the coaches are not confident about having to turn to the others [and for the record, that doesn't mean that Villari / Morgan CAN'T develop into something, just that maybe they aren't there now].

This kid gives us a high-major talent. He can come in and compete with the incumbent, he'll play some given that Anae / Beck use multiple QBs as part of the overall gameplan anyway, and if Shrader gets nicked up, Del Rio Wilson gives us a viable replacement option.

Now, how well does he throw? How quickly will he assimilate the playbook? How does he play when the lights come on and the pass rush is live? All TBD.

You want to be a top 25 program? Because they tend to have 3-4 QBs that can play. It’s a great problem to have. Let it sort itself out.

I’m not saying we are Bama. But they went from Tua to Jones to Young. Stack up the room and let them figure it out.

Sellers is coming here. He has his visit shortly.

And I'll add that this takes pressure off for an incoming recruit like Sellars to play immediately. Now, he can redshirt, get acclimated to college ball, master the offense, etc. and not burn a year of eligibility while we have Shrader / Del Rio Wilson.

In modern college football, with the speed / athleticism on defense, it is difficult for QB's to make it through the season upright.

Shrader is a proven commodity [flaws and all], but there is a dropoff on paper when we move down the list with all of the other candidates. Lamson -- size and experience. Villari -- unproven / productivity. Morgan -- upside. Etc.

Now, Lamson is hurt. And I'm guessing that the coaches are not confident about having to turn to the others [and for the record, that doesn't mean that Villari / Morgan CAN'T develop into something, just that maybe they aren't there now].

This kid gives us a high-major talent. He can come in and compete with the incumbent, he'll play some given that Anae / Beck use multiple QBs as part of the overall gameplan anyway, and if Shrader gets nicked up, Del Rio Wilson gives us a viable replacement option.

Now, how well does he throw? How quickly will he assimilate the playbook? How does he play when the lights come on and the pass rush is live? All TBD.
I would say that his throwing ability and assimilation will determine his playing time. I'm trying not to get too stoked about this guy but he could be a game changer. I love Shrader and everything he brought last year but he was underwhelming as a passer. Having coaches used to playing 2 QB's does nothing but help facilitate having 2 first class athletes at the helm. Whoever brings the best leadership along with accuracy as a passer will end up in the game during key situations.

Fun fact, Del Rio Wilson and DRW have the same number of syllables.

How about D.R. Dub?

Or “Doctor Dub”?

Which, if he leads us to a lot of W’s, could be a pretty awesome nickname.

Why does it have to be this way?

Tons of schools don’t have issues recruiting QBs in back to back classes (in reference to sellers) and in Lamsons case with his injury, he needs to get healthy first. He will have a leg up mentally over Sellers and seemed on pace to be the backup this year and heir apparent. Is it possible this kid takes that spot before Lamson is healthy? Sure. But it’s also possible this kid shouldn’t be the anointed just yet either.

He’s damned exciting, and we should be excited to have him. But I don’t wanna kick anyone else out the door just yet either. Let them compete and let the cream rise to the top and allow us to have some depth for once
From a fan point of view yeah, the more the merrier. But QB is one of the only positions in sports that usually rolls with 1 player pending injury (clearly does happen). I’ve found it surprising how many QBs are often on the team considering the percentages of all ever seeing the field for even a game. So no issues with someone leaving vs “ sticking it out and working hard and competing for the top spot”. If you want to play, statistically speaking probably a better spot elsewhere if you are below the median talent line vs those others.

Yes. But can he throw a football through a rolling hula hoop from 40 yards away?

Spot on

Agree with this. And who knows for sure but I don't think this should effect Lamson and Sellers staying with Cuse. Sellers is 2 classes away from Carlos. Lamson likely can't help us this year so we had to do something. Lamson has to understand this and know that he very well may still be the next QB to really step in when he's healthy next year. But the staff knows that there is a decent chance Shrader gets banged up this year and misses games and we can't just hope Morgan and Villeri are good enough to step in. This year is too critical for that. They wanted to add another piece with potential. Love that they are not sitting still anymore at such a critical position.

This does take up another scholly though and I assume we are still planning on finding a DL to add to the mix. Not sure we have a spot currently numbers wise but i'm sure one can get created through some sort of attrition. really need to see a 270+ pound DL that can contribute immediately added to the mix.

Agree with this. And who knows for sure but I don't think this should effect Lamson and Sellers staying with Cuse. Sellers is 2 classes away from Carlos. Lamson likely can't help us this year so we had to do something. Lamson has to understand this and know that he very well may still be the next QB to really step in when he's healthy next year. But the staff knows that there is a decent chance Shrader gets banged up this year and misses games and we can't just hope Morgan and Villeri are good enough to step in. This year is too critical for that. They wanted to add another piece with potential. Love that they are not sitting still anymore at such a critical position.

This does take up another scholly though and I assume we are still planning on finding a DL to add to the mix. Not sure we have a spot currently numbers wise but i'm sure one can get created through some sort of attrition. really need to see a 270+ pound DL that can contribute immediately added to the mix.

To your second point -- unexpected attrition occurs every year. We'll have open slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.