Class of 2021 - QB Carlos Del Rio Wilson (GA) Transferring from Florida to Syracuse | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Carlos Del Rio Wilson (GA) Transferring from Florida to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been calling for Dino’s scalp for 2.5 years but he has done really well and deserves credit for the coaches, players he got to come back and transfers. That being said if he doesn’t bring in some Dline I think we are a sub 500 team.
Absolutely same here. Last season with all the blunders is what made me finally jump ship from Dino, but this off-season has made me very glad ADJW didn’t give into the outcry of fans like you and me. Dino and Co have put together the best offseason I can remember and all I can do is tip my cap. Can’t wait for the season.

I’m going by what I saw first hand in the Dome during the spring game.
I agree. I hope he (OrangePA) wasn't throwing Lamsom under the bus, because he had a very nice Spring game and got many on here very excited and a taste of what he can do. And he is like 6'-4" and 220 and can motor if he needs to. So I wouldn't say he is no way in the same league as Del Rio is and that is because we don't know or have seen their current comparison. Let's hope we have the opportunity to see it. This is a very nice problem to have.

Spring game is a glorified practice. They ran the same 10 plays over and over again. We shouldnt be taking too much good or bad from that game. The team had 2 unpublicized scrimmages that were much more intense than that.
You can take a curtain amount out of it tho. And remember HCDB isn't going to show all that is in his arsenol
In modern college football, with the speed / athleticism on defense, it is difficult for QB's to make it through the season upright.

Shrader is a proven commodity [flaws and all], but there is a dropoff on paper when we move down the list with all of the other candidates. Lamson -- size and experience. Villari -- unproven / productivity. Morgan -- upside. Etc.

Now, Lamson is hurt. And I'm guessing that the coaches are not confident about having to turn to the others [and for the record, that doesn't mean that Villari / Morgan CAN'T develop into something, just that maybe they aren't there now].

This kid gives us a high-major talent. He can come in and compete with the incumbent, he'll play some given that Anae / Beck use multiple QBs as part of the overall gameplan anyway, and if Shrader gets nicked up, Del Rio Wilson gives us a viable replacement option.

Now, how well does he throw? How quickly will he assimilate the playbook? How does he play when the lights come on and the pass rush is live? All TBD.
And don't forget LaNorris Sellers will be coming in "hopefully" and I believe he has a lot to offer here also. Love this problem.

Where can Sellers go where he won't have to compete for playing time? Rutgers?

Villari has to want to play TE for this to happen ... Hough wanted to play defense which is why Baber's moved him.
I would say the writing is on the wall that if he wants to see the field here, it's not going to be at QB.

We have no idea if and to what extent this impacts Sellers.

My guess is if anyone’s impacted its Lamson and Morgan. Our second and third strings.

Their depth chart was a stud in Anthony Richardson, a decent vet QB in Emory Jones and then Del-Rio Wilson as QB3. Kitna was not ahead of him.

No shame in him being in that spot as a freshman.

Plus, new coaching staff + the coach he committed to being fired after last season.

Sounds like the new HC spoke highly of Del Rio Wilson when he announced his decision to transfer after spring ball -- good sign.

Here's a scouting report from when he was in HS -- provides some insight. Obviously, this doesn't account for his redshirt year at Florida, or any improvement he's made as a function of being immersed in an SEC collegiate program:

1653504053081.png

Here's a scouting report from when he was in HS -- provides some insight. Obviously, this doesn't account for his redshirt year at Florida, or any improvement he's made as a function of being immersed in an SEC collegiate program:

View attachment 217361
Very late with this but after watching the full HUDL film on Wilson I disagree with his bottom three evals. Outside the pocket he is very active and throws accurately on the run.

His speed which is NA I estimate at 4.4 high and is faster than any QB we have in our room I would bump him up to an 8.

His mobility if you go back and re-watch him is great. Don't know why this scout's grade is so low. Gets away from those pursuing him effectively and connects with his receivers delivering the ball on the run.

His release is under 2 secs on slants across the middle which is very quick getting the ball out of his hand to the receiver and his ACCURACY is an 8 not a 6. He has two great receivers especially #7 & # 2 who he looks for because they catch anything he throws and his throws are coming from a great arm.

Throws a hard ball across the middle and has loft on his go routes for the receiver to get to the ball. His entire tape is very, very good. He'll make Schrader work hard to stay the starter.

We have a WINNER in CARLOS DEL RIO WILSON and this sheet above should read 8 all the way and I bet with Beck he learns the playbook and is neck and neck with Shrader very quickly.

Last edited:
Very late with this but after watching the full HUDL film on Wilson I disagree with his bottom three evals. Outside the pocket he is very active and throws accurately on the run.

His speed which is NA I estimate at 4.4 high and is faster than any QB we have in our room I would bump him up to an 8.

His mobility if you go back and re-watch him is great. Don't know why this scout's grade is so low. Gets away from those pursuing him effectively and connects with his receivers delivering the ball on the run.

His release is under 2 secs on slants across the middle which is very quick getting the ball out of his hand to the receiver and his ACCURACY is an 8 not a 6. He has two great receivers especially #7 & # 2 who he looks for because they catch anything he throws and his throws are coming from a great arm.

Throws a hard ball across the middle and has loft on his go routes for the receiver to get to the ball. His entire tape is very, very good. He'll make Schrader work hard to stay the starter.

We have a winner in CARLOS DEL RIO WILSON and this sheet above should read 8 all the way.
Appreciate the evaluation. I thought his speed was adequate, but no where near 4.4. Certainly not as fast as Malik Cunningham, whom might not have 4.4 speed. Also, I guess he grew a bit at Florida, because he looked small in the hs hudl video. And his receivers, especially #7, were crazy good. May have skewed his stats, playing with such a wealth of talent around him.
Regardless, I'm glad he's on board; but, even more concerned about slot space for our true needs - DL, TE, and overall skill position speed.

Sounds like when he transferred for his senior year to Grayson, there was an issue and he was not allowed to play. He had to transfer in October to Cartersville, where he immediately became the starting QB and won 7 straight games for them.
Yeah, GHSA is a something else.

North Paulding
Haven't been there yet. My son played on the Milton feeder 6th grade team last year in GMSAA, and we started the year at Paulding County down by Dallas. He was small then, didn't grow much, so we switched to soccer, but the team retained him this past year as film scout (!), so every weekend we watched at least one game, sometimes 2, at the area stadiums. Got to see McEachern stadium, and the huge Indian statue on one end. Nice stadium overall, and the food options were pretty good from the local booster club - you don't usually get burgers.

The quality of football here is incredible. A bunch of the Milton players have been on the FBU team from GMSAA the past couple years, and that team has won the FBU national title both years. We filmed the first round games out in Buford this past year, and it's a revelation when you put together an all-star team from GMSAA. They had a tough game from the Gwinnett GFL, and then just rolled a team from northern Florida.

Cuse should absolutely unequivocally 100% be building inroads to the football around Atlanta, and in Georgia more generally. So much talent here.

Haven't been there yet. My son played on the Milton feeder 6th grade team last year in GMSAA, and we started the year at Paulding County down by Dallas. He was small then, didn't grow much, so we switched to soccer, but the team retained him this past year as film scout (!), so every weekend we watched at least one game, sometimes 2, at the area stadiums. Got to see McEachern stadium, and the huge Indian statue on one end. Nice stadium overall, and the food options were pretty good from the local booster club - you don't usually get burgers.

The quality of football here is incredible. A bunch of the Milton players have been on the FBU team from GMSAA the past couple years, and that team has won the FBU national title both years. We filmed the first round games out in Buford this past year, and it's a revelation when you put together an all-star team from GMSAA. They had a tough game from the Gwinnett GFL, and then just rolled a team from northern Florida.

Cuse should absolutely unequivocally 100% be building inroads to the football around Atlanta, and in Georgia more generally. So much talent here.
Football is still king in GA. One of the reasons why high school soccer (I coach soccer) is played in the spring. Recently saw that Georgia took the top spot of football recruits per capita.

McEachern is like a small college campus. Lot of money has been left from that family that pumps into it. They have a nice stadium. It is one of the hosts for the state soccer playoffs. Next time you are there, check out the statute from the side. Some folks that graduated from there told me about that. Both Milton and Buford are very nice. The high school stadiums down here are jaw dropping compared to the upstate NY facilities that I was accustomed to.

And yes, Cuse should always be involved in recruiting GA.

Last edited:
Their depth chart was a stud in Anthony Richardson, a decent vet QB in Emory Jones and then Del-Rio Wilson as QB3. Kitna was not ahead of him.

No shame in him being in that spot as a freshman.

Del Rio was 3rd string after spring ball but 2nd string was a 5 star transfer from Ohio St which I have no doubt is the reason for Del Rio hitting the portal. He was described though after their spring game as being the QB who showed the most growth during the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.