Class of 2019 - QB David Summers (CT) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB David Summers (CT) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19

Have to think HCDB knows that #2 (Clayton?) is going to have to get at least some reps with the first in case TD has to come out. That leaves 2, Rex or Summers for the Scout team. I have a hard time believing Rex is going to walk away from whatever chance he might have at TE to run the Scout team. That leaves Summers - who could put everything upside down if he makes a legitimate run at being #2.

Have to think HCDB knows that #2 (Clayton?) is going to have to get at least some reps with the first in case TD has to come out. That leaves 2, Rex or Summers for the Scout team. I have a hard time believing Rex is going to walk away from whatever chance he might have at TE to run the Scout team. That leaves Summers - who could put everything upside down if he makes a legitimate run at being #2.
I think we need to wait and see.

So...we assume Summers runs the Scout team this year? Aime ran it last year as a dual-style QB. Summers gives them a different look as a passer. Any chance Summers comes in and pushes for #2?

I don’t thnk so nor do i think he jumps Rex, if he does hats off he’s probably pretty good.

Last edited:
Here's what I like about Summers' highlight tape:

He is tall, and he stands tall in the pocket. He throws his receivers open; he is not under throwing his completions. He puts the ball right where it needs to be.

Willing to sit and wait for the throw until the last minute. Always looking to throw downfield. Can throw on the move.

In his junior year, when he runs, he runs right by the defense. He is also big enough to take a hit and keep moving forward. This is not a trait that Dungey had coming in to Syracuse, nor do I think Tommy currently possesses it. If this kid gets bigger and faster over the course of his career ...look out

What I'm still not sure on: does he need a clean pocket 90% of the time to be successful? Will he be able to improve on his elusiveness in the pocket over the next couple years?

Other than these 2 questions, I am sold on this kid. He looks great. He could more than contribute as a QB during his career here ..and probably will

Here's what I like about Summers' highlight tape:

He is tall, and he stands tall in the pocket. He throws his receivers open; he is not under throwing his completions. He puts the ball right where it needs to be.

Willing to sit and wait for the throw until the last minute. Always looking to throw downfield. Can throw on the move.

In his junior year, when he runs, he runs right by the defense. He is also big enough to take a hit and keep moving forward. This is not a trait that Dungey had coming in to Syracuse, nor do I think Tommy currently possesses it. If this kid gets bigger and faster over the course of his career ...look out

What I'm still not sure on: does he need a clean pocket 90% of the time to be successful? Will he be able to improve on his elusiveness in the pocket over the next couple years?

Other than these 2 questions, I am sold on this kid. He looks great. He could more than contribute as a QB during his career here ..and probably will
Good stuff. Saw the same things

If he could put up numbers like Andy Dalton did at TCU then I will be just fine with our Ginger Genius at QB. Or should we call him the Red Rifle? Only time will tell...

Did we ever get any of the measurable on Summers? I may just have missed it but I don't recall seeing weight, height, shuttle, 40 time etc?

Did we ever get any of the measurable on Summers? I may just have missed it but I don't recall seeing weight, height, shuttle, 40 time etc?

Hudl has him at 6'2 203. That's all.

If he could put up numbers like Andy Dalton did at TCU then I will be just fine with our Ginger Genius at QB. Or should we call him the Red Rifle? Only time will tell...
Is his hair red? Or is it...ORANGE!!

Hudl has him at 6'2 203. That's all.

Very interesting, I thought he was bigger. He's basically the same size as TD was coming in freshman year. Hudl had Tommy at 6'2" 193lbs

Very interesting, I thought he was bigger. He's basically the same size as TD was coming in freshman year. Hudl had Tommy at 6'2" 193lbs
His twitter page says 6'3 205.