Class of 2017 - QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin

Said from day 1 it would be tough to get into his "schools considered". The staff did a good job getting him up here and making him think a little bit but in the end we just never stacked up to other schools.

Need a regional QB like Devito now.

I like Devito more. More accurate of the two. Might not have the upside of Coan, but I believe Devito is a better system fit. IMO, Devito is a must get.

I like Devito more. More accurate of the two. Might not have the upside of Coan, but I believe Devito is a better system fit. IMO, Devito is a must get.

Hope you are right.

But regardless, this is another highly rated NYS kid that we've failed to land. Need to break through eventually with one of these prospects.

Says alot when its Wisconsin biggest QB commit ever. Because QB's don't go there. Good luck to the kid
agreed and Russell Wilson is the outlier. Kid got trained under the coaches as NCSU, where he was solid. He flourished at Wisky, which is great, but not sure they should get all the credit for that. He is obviously also a fantastic talent, that would have been successful in a lot of places.

You're not alone

If he isn't and K. Hill is, that would not break my heart.

Well, the former ended up being correct - let's hope the latter is too!! :cool:

It was nice of him to give us a courtesy visit - but that's all it was.
He was clearly never truly interested in us, so - next man up!

ALL IN on getting Hill to the Hill! ;)

RF2044 said:
Hope you are right. But regardless, this is another highly rated NYS kid that we've failed to land. Need to break through eventually with one of these prospects.

We'll need wins first. The Syracuse gloom™ is in full effect.

It will be really interesting to see what kind of career stats Coan puts up at Wisconsin vs here. I'd bet the ceiling is way, way higher in a Babers offense than Wisconsin's.

Well, I am going to take this news as a slight setback, which might not even be fair, as I thought it was a longer shot that we'd get him (I was hoping his lax background would come into play). I'll say this, Wisconsin is a really good school and a strong football program, so he made a solid choice (just not the best one!?!). Oy vey!

Let's assume for a moment that Croan is a Badgers starter as an upperclassman, ... we will see him in 2020 at Camp Randall, and in 2021 in the Dome if he red-shirts somewhere along the way. Sounds like a good opportunity to show him how far we've come as a program.

Yeah because they only throw if the guy is 22 ... age has nothing to do with it.
My point was he had 4 years of development at NC St. Wisconsin got a finished product.

My point was he had 4 years of development at NC St. Wisconsin got a finished product.

Again Coan could be that guy in 4 years ... Don't know why that is so hard to grasp.

Again Coan could be that guy in 4 years ... Don't know why that is so hard to grasp.
I think what you are saying is that we shouldn't criticize Wisconsin's lack of QB development because Russell Wilson is a successful professional and Coan could be successful too.

What I am saying is that I don't think that's a good example because Wilson spent 4 years at NC St. and arrived at Wisconsin as a 22 year graduate transfer. Coan is in a completely different situation. I'm not saying Coan can't be good just that historically Wisconsin doesn't develop quarterbacks.

Im sure our OC Sean Lewis can attest to the lack of QB development at Wisconsin. He was moved to TE. Sure he wasn't happy about that. Coan can be very successful no doubt. There's just not a lot of evidence to assume he will be. There is evidence that he can go there and be efficient and good on PA pass. Bollinger and Sorgi are the ones who set the standard for Wisconsin QB play. Thats not something to brag about. Its hard for me to associate Wilson as a Badger. I have too many memories of him running around and making plays for NC ST.

Last edited:
Im sure our OC Sean Lewis can attest to the lack of QB development at Wisconsin. He was moved to TE. Sure he wasn't happy about that. Coan can be very successful no doubt. There's just not a lot of evidence to assume he will be. There is evidence that he can go there and be efficient and good on PA pass. Bollinger and Sorgi are the ones who set the standard for Wisconsin QB play. Thats not something to brag about. Its hard for me to associate Wilson as a Badger. I have too many memories of him running and making plays for NC ST.
Don't forget about Scott Tolzien who QB'd the Badgers for two seasons and is now a back-up for the Colts. All with similar styles that is Wisconsin football.

I think what you are saying is that we shouldn't criticize Wisconsin's lack of QB development because Russell Wilson is a successful professional and Coan could be successful too.

What I am saying is that I don't think that's a good example because Wilson spent 4 years at NC St. and arrived at Wisconsin as a 22 year graduate transfer. Coan is in a completely different situation. I'm not saying Coan can't be good just that historically Wisconsin doesn't develop quarterbacks.

And what I am saying is that it is just as much up to the player as anything else ... Wilson is an exceptional QB and if Coan turns out to be the same (not saying he is) then he can do just as well. Going to Wisky won't determine whether or not he becomes good or even great, it is on Coan.

wfschrec said:
And what I am saying is that it is just as much up to the player as anything else ... Wilson is an exceptional QB and if Coan turns out to be the same (not saying he is) then he can do just as well. Going to Wisky won't determine whether or not he becomes good or even great, it is on Coan.

System does affect and place limits on success. He can be great for them, but great for them will look different than great for us (Baber/Briles). That's his business. But the numbers won't be comparable.

I wish the best for him. I am not salty that he didn't choose us. He will probably be a winner, be incredibly efficient, maybe an all big ten QB. He will still only throw the ball 15 times a game. I know every QB I been around likes to throw the ball a lot. Maybe he doesn't but based on his HS numbers he seems like a kid who like to be a play maker. He threw for over 3000 and rushed for over a 1000. You can't deny that it seem a little strange that he picked them. I can see Northwestern, Louisville or even Stanford, I get it but Wisconsin, thats interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom